silverfish VT calls it quits

Discussion in 'YouTube Digest' started by Gatito Bandito, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

No more YouTube videos, anyway.

Stacking/collecting? Who knows.

I find it hard to believe his reason for doing so.

It's not like his typical videos are all that lengthy, production-consuming, or frequent. And upload time? Pfft.

Besides, nobody says he has to read & respond to the comments. Heck, you can even disable them!

I could easily be wrong, but I think there's more to it than he's leading on.

He started stacking July 2011. Probably not the best time to start.

And towards the end there, he began hitting more gold & higher-premium slabbed stuff, which can drain the budget fast.

Maybe finances played a role? Perhaps his wife said enough is enough? Privacy concerns?

Who knows. But he did have some decent videos from time to time.

10,000+ subscribers, too..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRXMnpZstUc

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRXMnpZstUc[/youtube]

2. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Think I vaguely remember watching a video on his kilo silver coins. Impressive at the time but I'm guessing he must have his reasons for dropping off YouTube. Not everyone wants to share their stack online.

3. Gatito Bandito

True.

However, many of his videos weren't really about unboxings, per se -- but more about "preachy" lessons, looks at psychology, strategy, etc.

Again, his reasoning doesn't appear to be jiving with reality.

Hey, it might not have anything to do with finances, as I suggested. Perhaps he's just gotten a bit burnt out on it all. Doesn't mean he's going to sell his collection, but maybe his interest has waned & will be scaling back new purchases (and obviously YouTube activity). He did go pretty hard at it for a few years, and seems to have peaked recently.

I suppose at some point for many, enough is enough.. especially when you take a moment, sit back, and look at all you've accumulated up until that point.

And a spot-market grinding down during all that time can certainly take a toll, especially if one hasn't chosen carefully.

Anyway, who knows.

I believe this is the kilo coin video you're speaking of..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoruChMaw_Y

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoruChMaw_Y[/youtube]

4. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

I remember that vid from ages ago, what reason did he give for giving up?

5. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yeah. I believe you have to pace yourself and not get too over excited about stacking. I've seen many YouTubers quite cos they went a bit crazy especially when prices were high.

6. Gatito Bandito

His wife gave him a stern talking-to? ;)

He does have some pretty young kids, too, after all.

Watch the video in the OP, though.

7. Gatito Bandito

Probably not just the budget, either.. But also the amount of time spent reading & replying to all the comments on his YouTube vids.

Well, disable 'em!

Perhaps he also spent a lot of time on others' YouTube channels -- and on forums? ;)

Honestly, I can see that happening to many people. Time, budget, etc.. At the expense of other areas in life.

Getting a bit too obsessive with it, and either eventually getting tapped-out, burnt-out, and/or getting called-out by loved ones..

Definitely a popular YouTuber, though. Not many with those kinds of numbers.

8. New Member

He called it quits but then posts another video the next day.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5MD-CrrUWQ[/youtube]

9. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sounds like me ... with beer.

10. New Member

LOL

11. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

Have seen many of his vids and he started stacking when prices were high.
    Have seen him unboxing many time and the THOUSANDS of $$$$ he has spent has lost 50%+.
    I personally think he was waiting for the prices to turn up again BUT HAVE NOT.
    All in i think he was trying to do right y people and believed what he was saying.
    But at the end of the day HE JUMPED IN HEAD FIRST AND IS DOWN MANY THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS.
    He was not big on flipping so i can assume that he still holds a lot of what he bought.
    Just look at his vids from oldest to newest, this guy was buying std bullion at $40spot and LOTS OF IT.
    You can tell from his vids that he is in wait of the big turn around in price, but it hasn't come.

12. SilverTounge15

SilverTounge15 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I once sent Silverfish a heartfelt msg because of his video about family, since then I have spoken with him personally and his reasons for cutting back on youTube are genuine, he isn't going to stop stacking, he simply is putting his family first, his children first, his wife and his friends, he is still flipping bullion on ebay, still buying, and he will make a video from time to time he is just shifting his focus on things he feels he has neglected due to his youTube commitment, which has consumed far more of his time than perhaps it should have but certainly more than people realise....

13. Chelsey Hudon

Chelsey Hudon New Member

This is a long shot considering you wrote this comment in 2015. But I just wondered if you could tell me how you were able to message him? Was it just through a YouTube comment or did you reach out Privately? My wife has been a HUGE follower of his for years and it's always been a desire of hers to speak with him just once :) just trying to see if there is any possible way I could make that happen for her.

14. SilverTounge15

SilverTounge15 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hello,

Yes it was privately, he was such a gracious person, the community was shocked and saddened when he left. He had alot of people wanting to contact him and it was really impacting his family life and in the end he chose his family first.

Sorry I cannot be of any help