Silver Storage

Discussion in 'Silver' started by HOWUDN, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

That's a lot of meat

2. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

Given that I get my meat cheaper than retail and a whole sheep cut up, including the kidneys, cost me $200, from his statement of $2500 of meat and food just in the fridge and freezer that would be the equivalent of 12.5 sheep which is a big fridge and freezer area.
    I call BS if it is limited to the fridge and freezer. Okay if the pantry is included.

3. danman49

danman49 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well if they took my fridge, freezer and everything in them it "might" just add up to $2500.... Maybe Miniroo only eats kobe beef? Wow a carniverous herbivore.... scarry!

4. funman1

funman1 New Member

I just looked at splitting a sheep with a family member, the full sheep, plus butcher fees was $875
    So if you had some large freezers and some nice premium cuts of meat I think I could easily get to $2500 in my freezers.
    Between fridge/freezer combo plus our large deep chest freezer it could be done pretty easily here in CA :)

5. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

"I just looked at splitting a sheep with a family member, the full sheep, plus butcher fees was $875"

I hope you told the butcher where to put his sheep.

....anyway, I thought Americans did not even LIKE sheep meat. A very elderly (WW2) lady vet on a US Military Forum had NEVER tasted lamb. I had to seacrh high and low for a rack of lamb in a Tucson restaurant, and finally succeeded, and it was NEW ZEALAND lamb!

OC

6. miniroo

miniroo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

With all due respects to the sheep of this world, I was talking about meat, lamb doesn't qualify in my books.
    never watched my big fat greek wedding? the groom doesn't eat meat and the greek lady says, no problem, we have lamb!

back in the old day you could go to the supermarket, spend $100 and fill a trolley, even have $5 change to grab an oz of silver on the trip home.
    $100 today covers condiments and staples like milk & bread. not that I would buy meat from a supermarket.

Good beef from a real butcher doesn't come cheap, $30+ kg. I have a 1/2 kg of beef jerky in the freezer that cost me $65 kg,
    just a good handful. Fish that I like to eat is almost $40 kg. real sausages, like hand made kransky types cost $3 for one sausage, I can eat 6!

A chest freezer alone can hold a thousand of dollars worth of food easy, i'm just average I think, just a bit too fat.

My pantry is a whole different story, I'm a prepper, my hobby is to fantasise about s**t hitting the fan so the pantry is not your average pantry.
    aswell as that I'm a champion specials buyer, when it's on super special, I buy heaps, trays of things.
    an excellent investment, if you can buy at 50% off you effectively double your investment over the time you use it.

longer term things will also increase in price so if you buy today, it will go up in price in 2 or 3 years, you profit even more.

I plan to sell fractional sugar & salt and most everything else, I'll be making up little 50g baggies of salt, 200g baggies of sugar, refined, raw & dark,
    i'll have variety too. also I think I have cornered the market on matches in this district, i'll be the go to guy for a box of matches.
    Vinegar, that's me, I preserve olives and there's olives in the streets, I can pick, cure and trade, I keep lots of jars too.

spam, yeah I know it's made from lips & assholes but they had to do something with 'em, occasionally cracking open a can of spam ain't too bad,
    I buy at half price and can build a small cubby house from them now, my flavours are regular, hot 'n spicy, bacon and turkey.
    although turkeys don't have lips so it must be all assholes.

7. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

My dog LOVES Spam!

8. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Seriously, I also guarantee that you will be the go to guy by the police...and those without. You won't last long.

9. Dutch Silver Bullion Collector

Dutch Silver Bullion Collector Member

i bought an big old bank safe with a height of 1.50 m, bloody heavy to get it home and hidden on it's place; with a forklift and six (family) members busy for a whole morning ;-(
    The big advantage of an bank safe is that i can get an insurance on my stack because the safe is registered and almost unbreakable.

10. ego2spare

ego2spare Well-Known Member

yeah im kind of a prepper, if u just count hoarding one thing... Spam. I'm trying to get other things, but i freaking love spam and I go out and just end up with more spam..

11. miniroo

If spam is what you eat all the time then it makes sense to have it in big stocks.
    lasts for years and if you only buy at half price, what a bonus in the long term.

The only issue with eating too much spam is the high salt content, like 1000 mg per 100g,
    trick is to balance it out with non-salty sides, a big clean salad or something.

Sui Min Noodles in the cups are good with spam, I buy sui min when it's $1 a cup, normally about $1.68
    I make the noodles, drain then throw it into a fry pan, stir fry the noodles and chuck in the spam all cubed up.
    hot & spicey works good, some sliced spring onion, lemon juice and voila! stir fry spam noodles.

I can't see how I would be such a threat to society with a hoard of matches, some salt, sugar and food stuffs in a shtf situation, surely there'll be bigger fish to fry? :)

and besides, I don't know many that would approach me for a rumble over anything let alone matches, i'm not your average joe, I can handle it.

12. miniroo

and I got a boat, they won't catch me..

[​IMG]

13. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Trust me. If someone wants what you have, to feed their family - they will get it no matter how big you are. This is especially magnified if you are seen to be profiting from others misery.

You want to stack? Keep it for you and yours, or give it to the needy as you see fit.

14. Ag bullet

Ag bullet Well-Known Member

i believe this to be true. so your self sufficient with a nice vege garden and some livestock, that's great and we should all aim for that, the trouble is going to be keeping it secure, for not everyone will be as prepared. they'll be worse than flying foxes and smell just as bad! probably greater numbers too!

15. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Love that avatar Ag Bullet :cool: