Silver Stackers place to sell or trade ?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Dynoman, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

I guess this idea or question has been asked more than once.

I was thinking it would be good if part of this forum contained an organised section for buying, selling or trading silver or PM's generally. I understand how well the threads work & a form of trust develops etc. However, I believe it would be great if we could see exactly what items are available for sale or trade for registered only members. I understand there are very simple auction templates available for this purpose. Lets say a small percentage of your sale went to the host. Maybe 1% or so. Dunno, just an idea. This forum is very powerful, we could all use that to our collective advantage.

Hope I haven't stepped on any toes here. Not my intention.

Cheers

2. silverfunk

silverfunk Active Member

i think this is what spotmex will be..

3. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

Oh OK well cool then !

4. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Er, no, SPOTMEX is an unrelated company that is just an advertiser on here. SPOTMEX won't be providing additional functionality on this website, but will operate as their own website, with their own style & business model. JC just threw me some dollars for his banner ad on here :D

Currently the Buy, Sell & Swap forums on here operate as free classifieds - and frankly that's been the success of this website, as it fulfilled a need in Australia that wasn't being well served by any other website at the time - a dedicated place for trading precious metals in Australia (although it's open to the rest of the world as well). Early trades on the forum generated the site traffic to get us "over the hump" into a community mode, rather than just becoming another auction website - wouldn't even bother trying to compete with eBay. Providing free classifieds has served this site well, and they will continue to be free.

That said though, having some auction functionality on here has been kicked around for a while - although it would still be integrated with the forum. Probably something Web 2.0ish like a widget that can be embedded into a post. If we go down that path I might investigate a revenue model to offset the development effort or licensing depending on what model is finally adopted.

There's a massive to-do list for Silver Stackers in 2011 - updating the forum software in early December was just "phase one" of a massive site overhaul. Expect lots of new stuff this year, some of which won't be announced until it's ready :cool:

5. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

Thanx Peli, something like that would be great, always forget who said what, who had that etc.

6. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just my 0.02 grams GP, but I think the trade forums work fine as they are. Nice and simple and that's the hardest version to scam.