Silver on Ebay

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Ibn Battuta, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Ibn Battuta

Ibn Battuta New Member

G'day all,

This is my first post apart from my intro post so please excuse my lack of knowledge.

I am very new into the world of stacking and was having a look on Ebay and was surprised with some of the prices on there in regards to 10oz of silver and more. I found that there was some Perth Mint bars for sale on there more than the actual price if you were to buy it from Perth Mint direct. These bars all have bids on them so people are buying. Regardless of whether you purchase them from Ebay or the Perth Mint you will have to pay delivery so you're not saving on delivery by buying from Ebay.
    Am I missing something here?

Again my lack of knowledge is really showing but there are alot of terms on here I dont know the meaning of such as fiat. I've tried to search for a glossary of commonly used terms on here to no avail. Does anyone know of one?

Thanks

2. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

Hi, welcome.

Firstly, read through the sticky here: http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-880-buying-silver-in-australia.html

Some great info above on the different types/forms of silver.

Fiat = currency backed by nothing. If you are able to print more currency, it is fiat currency. Not backed by gold/commodities at all.

Depending on where you are in Australia, there may be sellers of silver you can meet to trade with face to face. If you state your city/location, someone may be able to help you out.

Cheers.

3. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

Maybe a little bit cheaper, but now how do you hide from the taxman ? The Bullion purchasing registration process from the mint is quite thorough, although I've heard it's not so stringent for face to face purchases. Others may add more info. about that.

4. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

I consider anonymous purchases a personal information security measure - not an "avoid the taxman" measure.

5. MrSilverAG

MrSilverAG New Member

If you are buying silver on ebay, be sure you sign up for their free eBay Bucks program so you can get cash back. There are also other rebates available that you can stack on top of this to really shave the price of your silver purchases. I don't want to spam or anything, you can find my website in my profile which explains how it all works and includes a rebate calculator you can use

6. goldpelican

Useless in Australia.

7. MrSilverAG

MrSilverAG New Member

:( didnt know that, that sucks.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

+1

9. Ag

Ag Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Ok someone has to come in with a comment and spoil the party...

I never understood why people think Ebay will avoid 'detection'?If any govermnet department want those records,it will take those record with or without Ebay kicking or screaming...

Remember,every email you have ever sent is stored somewhere...how could you change that?

10. Guest

Guest Guest

You can't, that's the point.

The only thing we have going for us is the fact the buying market for PMs are so small, we're essentially off the radar anyway.

By time the looters decide to clamp down, there will be so many in the market (and big buyers at that), we'll more than likely be lost in the noise.

11. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Assange affair has pointed out just what sort of reach the government has at the moment, let alone when (in Australia) we have a National network and monitored gateways.

Render unto Caesar!

12. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

Oh Yes I agree, entirely :)

13. goldpelican

Had the same issue crop up on the forum yesterday - posts that appear to promote tax avoidance are simply not welcome on the forum. Think about the possible ramifications of posting this publicly.

14. Ibn Battuta

Ibn Battuta New Member

Ahhh I didnt realise signing up to the Mint was a complex issue.
    I guess between that and people trying to remain anonymous makes sense but as others here have mentioned I too think that if the government really wanted to they could easily dig up peoples details.
    Proving that you are still in possession of it though would prove alot harder.