Silver Nuggets - Opinion

Discussion in 'Silver' started by evansr33, Feb 18, 2012.

1. evansr33

evansr33 New Member

Hi Stackers,

I recently come across a silver nugget which looked amazingly beautiful. I been collected silver coins and bars, and have quite an impressive collection, however I dont own any nuggets.

What are your guys opinion on silver nuggets, have anyone got any, why are they so much more expensive than coins and bars, are they worth buying for the future? Apparently they are very rare.

If anyone could share any advice that would be great.

Thanks in advance

2. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

Check out this silver wire. When was the last time you saw one of these for sale in your local rock shop?

http://www.themineralgallery.com/silver.htm

This is nature's artistry, so if you like the artists work, you buy it. Not necessarily for any $ gain, but for the beauty.

3. Silverbullet08

Silverbullet08 New Member

Wow nice price tags they fetch in their raw state!!
    Heres a few shots of various chuncks of ore from my fathers Gold mine site.... that have currently made their home in my display cabinet.
    Rest assured, these pieces have no value, and are simply for show :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. guseva1

guseva1 New Member

Silver nuggets are very rare in their natural state especially here in Australia. Australia does have a lot of silver being mined as a by product of other minerals, but to come across silver nuggets in pure form is not something that happens everyday that's for sure. Check out "The Great Australian Silver Nugget" on my youtube channel if you want to see some silver in its natural state

5. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

That is a great video guseva1, thanks for mentioning it.

Wow!! you have been a silver guy for over 20 years!! Talk about old timer. :) That is a fantastic nugget & a great story about how it came to you. It would be an awful shame to ever ever melt it down, or even sell it, except perhaps to a museum. Cheers.

6. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

Guseva1,

Wow, I'm impressed mate. Well done, you are an artist. If have not already thought of the idea, then what about the idea of making a face cast of someone you know (could even be you), and then pouring silver into the cast, and hanging it on the wall. This is a type of family heirloom that can be passed down the line (ie: what did great grand-dad look like? Lookey there - because that's his face hanging on the wall, that beautiful silver mask). Just search for "face cast" on the Internet. PS: Its best to practise getting the casting to acquire skill in producing plaster casts, before advancing to the stage of pouring metal. There is also the idea of buying silver leaf (local art shop) and doing some gilding; eg. picture frame, wooden someone or other.

Never seen your YouTube channel before. Check out this video people.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPrGSI1d17o[/youtube]

7. Rinchin

Rinchin New Member

How big are they man?? I have a few little ones 1 - 1.5 grams. I saw them at the School of mines tour here in Thames, wanted some and managed to get a couple at reasonable prices.

Pic's aren't great just the ones from Trademe the nuggets themselves are way more impressive, spiky, crystal like....

[img=FluxBB bbcode test]http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/tq/48/205057848.jpg[/img]

[img=FluxBB bbcode test]http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/31/205059231_full.jpg[/img]

8. rolls

rolls New Member

Hi all,
    I've been collecting silver, especially nuggets for nearly twenty years. I thought I'd share a pic of some of them. There is over 5 kilos there, with a few behemoths in the front in the 50-70gram range. The main body range from 14-40grams, and the pile of small ones at the back are 12grams and under.

Enjoy...

[​IMG]

9. goldilox

goldilox Member Silver Stacker

sweet rolls. what a glorious collection.
    local gem fair is this weekend. <ponders> will they have silver nuggets?

10. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

Thanks for sharing. I've never seen them in a form like that. Cheers.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Silver nuggets are exceedingly beautiful!

12. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

You say that's "some of them"... if you wanted to auction some of them off, I believe you'd get a very good price here. From what I have observed with the gold nugget auctions (run by mmm....shiney! and Euruka Moments), its best not to fix a price. Another guy tried doing that, and appeared to get no one buying anything, so he went to Ebay and settled for less money than what he was asking here. I don't think you'd need to worry about having to settle for a low bid, very hard to believe that would happen. Run the auction for 7 days. Just my opinion. The two SS mentioned are the gold nugget auction experts.

13. rolls

rolls New Member

Thanks for that Black_Sun. I've put a few on ebay in the past and the prices have ranged from $4/g to $9/g. Watching the prices of other people's silver nuggets there seems to be the best $/g in smaller nuggets, esp. sub gram ones. Not long ago a .15g sold for $40/g. Go figure?

I am going to sell all of them. The smaller ones, 770g, are allready taken. I'd like to sell all of them in one lot, but I appreciate a lot of people would like to own one. I'll put a few on here tonight on a seven day auction, as you advised. I'm not sure how to set it out for the individual nuggets, i.e. a separate topic for each of them, or list them in one topic? Something to think about.

Tony.

14. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

Wow! Looking forward to it. I'll be bidding. Not sure if I'll win though, because a couple of the guys here (including one fellow with a radio) have a tendency to bid high. But $40 per gram, wow.

What those two gold nugget SS auctioneers have done, is to break their stuff up into "lots"; ie: lot 1, lot 2, lot 3. Usually not more than 10 lots, I think. And they show a picture of each lot sitting on a set of scales, so that you can see the weight.

15. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

I think Kevin Ward has the most beautiful collection for one guy. However, there's a much more extensive collection of silver pictures here:

http://www.mindat.org/gallery.php?min=3664

almost 1500 pictures of pure native silver. Pretty impressive. :)

There are also some other pictures here.

http://www.the-vug.com/vug/vugfakes.html#silver

Its always nice to learn more about silver, however you may learn it. :)

16. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Silver nuggets are not like gold nuggets. Gold nuggets are 22K pure or thereabouts generally ie about 91% is gold and 9% of the nuggets is "other" metals, hence why gold needs to be refined at a mint to get is purity to 0.9999 etc.

Silver nuggets tend to have a much lower actual silver content than a gold nugget. But on the flip side silver nuggets are much rarer than gold nuggets.

You wouldnt buy a silver nugget for accumulating silver against the spot price. You would buy it as a rarity whose value is pretty much unrelated to the price of silver per ounce. Similar in the way a painting is valued upon its rarity, beauty etc, not the base price of the materials eg, canvass, oils etc.

17. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

Hey guys... what follows are a few posts from one of the auctions which took place in May 2012, where a "rolls" and his alter-ego shill "glint" attempted to fraudulently pass off some man-made silver "nuggets" as being naturally formed by nature. There's a lot of posts missing, showing how the whole auction degenerated, especially after the appearance of the shill called "glint", who also lived in Canberra, as did "rolls" (aka Tony), and how they had a F2F meeting where glint got to examine rolls nuggets.

POST 1:

18. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

POST 2:

19. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

POST 3:

20. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

POST 4: