Silver for dummies

Discussion in 'Silver' started by upandaway, Jun 30, 2012.

1. upandaway

upandaway Member

Just thought I'd put the link for anyone who missed it or isn't familiar with this YT member. If you're a permabull or offended by expressive language I'd let it slide. For the rest of us it's a little refreshing/amusing, or was for me. I rate Cory a lot................stupid he ain't!

For anyone new it's good for a balanced view too.

Enjoy:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DciFPmwo5XE

2. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Never seen him before, but I like him.

3. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker

Are you saying this guy is providing a dumbed down version of the silver market so it's easier to understand for some?

Well he distills it down to its most basic elements, that's for sure:
    "there are buyers and sellers ... it's a market!"

He even spends some time identifying the motivation of sellers:
    "they're not all sophisticated long term holders ... Weak hands panic and sell"

Yet he completely ignores the motivation of buyers and so erroneously makes the statement that gold and silver are just commodities while at the same time revealing his buying price is $15 and telling viewers that it's a dog-eat-dog world.

So he ignores the real motivations of buyers, discouraging people to see gold or silver as a wealth preservation strategy, is personally motivated by a lower price and tells you he has no empathy for you.

Call me cynical, but he is either talking his own book and is a social psychopath or has some deeper motives of his own. Obviously he isn't stupid, but that is never a recommendation on its own either.

Ignoring the real world motivations of buyers in a video such as this speaks clearly to its intent, IMO.

4. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Rawdoglet clone!

5. upandaway

upandaway Member

Gino,

I guess as a subscriber for a long period I get the basis of it. There are a few on SS who probably subscribe including Stellar and it's some what pitched at the 'it's going to the moon next week' brigade who attack everyone on YT who don't sign on to that view point or the blinded only way is up drivel.

Lighten up mate. We get enough of the day in day out heavy pat in endless other threads.

Anyone who also follows Rawdog may find it of interest. Not your cup of tea. Don't sweat it.

6. CriticalSilver

I'm not sweating it! You posted it, I told you and everyone else what I think. That's what discussion forums are for.

I'm just laughing along, even with you and this guy's video. But if you think I'm overly serious, I can't imagine how you would characterise the guy in that video. C'mon, you have to admit he was pretty intense, condescending and one-eyed.

However, I can confirm that contrary to the title of this thread, silver is not for dummies and this guy's dumbed down presentation of the silver market is exactly that.

Or was the video for dummies. So many ambiguities! :lol:

7. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

sounds like a drug dealer :D

8. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

..and Joe the Silverfuturist sounds like a user :lol:

9. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

10. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Gino, feel I should just add a bit about why I liked this vid (I suppose a little bit in my own defence).

I fully respect and accept your point of view, however it is still just a point of view. I am a relative newcomer to stacking, and while my motivations are most likely aligned with your own, I still like to take an objective perspective on the whole scenario.

Upandaway is right that there is a large force that strongly object to any suggestion other than 'to the moon'. But IMO, 'to the moon' is but just another mere opinion. While my long term veiw is that, fundmentally, there are a lot of reasons for the silver price to move higher, to regard this as the only possibility (especially short to medium term) would be a bit silly, and frankly would be just taking the word of the permabulls as gospel. Had I subscribed solely to this notion over the last 12-18 months, I would have been staring down the barrel of the biggest investment loss of my life.

So it seems refreshing to me when someone such as this youtube guy puts things back into perspective.

I beleive this to be exactly what it is. And, however painful it is to admit for some stackers, they too follow the 'market' religiously (spot). Not only is it just a market, it is one that very few participate in, and infact, very few could even give a $%*@ about.

Are gold and silver 'just commodities'? IMO, they probably are. Whilst gold and silver hold value that fluctuates relative to fiat, that is exactly what other commodities do too. The motivation of buyers of any commodity is to preserve value - otherwise you wouldn't buy them? Some use gold and silver as wealth preservation, but this preservation ability is not exclusive to just gold and silver.

Anyway, just my 2c :)

11. gazzahere

gazzahere Member Silver Stacker

morning,

"No shortage of silver....no shortage of testosterone either.
    Lawd, it's folk like him that make me embarrassed to be involved with PMs. If that's the kind of ideology one needs to be in be in the club of the 'big boys', then you can count me out. "

Hmmm, yes, he makes me thoughtful and I couldn't put up with too much of that at the dinner table -- but I disagree that the ideology is distasteful. Well, if I were to think that it were greatly distasteful - all I would be doing is denying human nature and the nature of markets.

I have met some lovely little old ladies (and have a few as friends) who have the same ideology - it is merely a statement of fact.

I think you are correct in your observation of his testosterone levels - he is aggressive - not necessarily violent - but certainly aggressive.

I have to say that what he was saying was simple enough - and what he was describing is indeed simple. Many of us try to hide a lot of trading psychology - imo, we are just denying our own nature --------- probably far better to get the truth from such an abrasive bastard than to hide it completely.

imo, one can look at the dog eat dog world of trading and markets in at least two ways ------------- in the first way, it is horrendous - the kill or be killed extreme - but, that truly is the way it is and one should get used to it -- because anything else is far worse.

the other way to look at it is this ------------------------- would you rather trade and make a profit sometimes and sometimes a loss ----------------------or, would you rather war and plunder.

You can have business and trade and people work out naturally what they want and need ---------- they get bruised sometimes, they win sometimes - but in general, everyone survives and learns - if they are sharp enough - if they aren't, then they should change games - and that is a good lesson ------------------------- or, you can say bugger business and trade, let's pick up a gun, kill the other bugger and take their stuff -- bringing with it all the horrors of war.

That's what we have done for thousands of years - and it is horrible. Personally I would rather choose to be in a market facing sharp little old ladies or our friend in the video --------- you have the choice who to deal with and how to deal with them -------------- some bugger coming down your path with a big gun limits your choices greatly.

And when you choose to trade instead of war ---------- not only do you have the choice of who to deal with - you also have the choice of how to deal, what to leave on the table, why to leave anything on the table and what to do with the proceeds of your trade.
    If you trade often enough, you will come up with dilemma's - particularly if you deal with private individuals - and if you don't come up with dilemma's - you aren't trading much or you aren't thinking or perhaps you don''t have many lines in the sand.

have a great morning all

gazza

12. radiobirdman

radiobirdman Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Its a dog eat dog world

13. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

I agree with you. It's scary when people have that much testosterone. :/

We can help one another, imho, by forming a sub-group within SS; we'll call it TFSS, The Frightened Silver Stackers. I'll start drafting up a design, so that we can get some ounces minted. :)

14. CriticalSilver

Certainly it's a market, in the terms of there being buyers and sellers. That was what I meant by "basic elements". Sellers offer a price and buyers accept it as fair value, negotiate or wait for a better price. This is nothing more than the obvious IMO.

I don't subscribe to the notion that there is emotion or psychotic aggression required for markets to operate however. No one is forced to buy or sell anything (except healthcare apparently and other state enforced support of crony capitalist monopolies), the need for evoking dog-eat-dog, or kill-or-be-killed concepts is ridiculous and only serves to further an immature aggressor/victim world view, again just my opinion.

Hopefully that explains where I'm coming from a little better. I didn't suggest or mean to suggest that there were no precious metal markets, that's just absurd of course. But his total lack of attention to what motivates buyers of physical bars and coins (as opposed to paper trading) belies his intent, which is IMO as I said.

Thanks for your explanation too.