Silver as emergency fund?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by cfcbryan, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Oldsoul

Oldsoul New Member

27,600,000 silver bars
    54,800,000 silver coin
    83,800,000 silver dealers
    88,800,000 silver prices
    144,000,000 buying silver

The above are invalid data as is IPhone 8....see below

1,330,000,000 silver

HOWEVER

Your thesis is incorrect as you are not including "" around your search terms thus dragging 6 into the search for IPhone 6.

147,000,000 "IPhone 6"

And no you should not keep any store of wealth as an emergency fund. A forced sale is a bad sale, same for art, cars, houses, antiques or even IPhone 6s ( a rapidly depreciating POS).

2. silverbait

silverbait Active Member Silver Stacker

My thesis is incorrect. Ok.

I hope it was clear enough for most of stackers to get the point.

Money is more liquid and after money you can much more easily sell your iphone for cash on spot any day any time to anyone with cash f2f or online and 3rd comes our passion silver will be very very hard to sell compared to iphone.

That was my point. How many people know how much a kilo of Silver being sold for? I ve asked many of my friends and they are saying they have no idea, some says its cheaper than gold :)

3. Oldsoul

Oldsoul New Member

Like I said any forced sale of a store of wealth like PMs, land, houses, art, antiques etc. is a bad sale. They should never have been bought if you are so near the bottom as to need to raise cash urgently to live.

Having said that I know that I have acquaintances who would take bullion as security on a personal loan to me.

The idea of buying an IPhone 6 (which depreciates from the moment you first turn it on) as being a preferable potential 'emergency fund' is nuts. I have no acquaintances who would hold a crate load of IPhone 6s as security against a personal loan as they depreciate too rapidly (even more so if second hand).

Any forced sale is a bust and no one should be running on a tank so empty that they need to liquidate wealth that rapidly. That is just poor personal financial planning. High capital worth and poor cash flow = poor.

Sounds like you need to find some acquaintances with interests other than the latest consumer fad.

What is a second hand IPhone 6 worth? Can't see it raising me 10 or twenty thousand in a few hours....

4. Oldsoul

Oldsoul New Member

^ This. I did not buy 1 single ounce whilst I had a mortgage (which in Latin means "till death") Quiet simply, the money earned (in saved interest) is effectively tax free by paying off the mortgage. Learn to hate and despise your mortgage and you won't have it so long, don't learn to live with it. (This does not include investment properties)[/quote]

There is always a loud and vocal mob who get wiped out borrowing for rental investment (let alone flipping). Renting is hard work and bad tenancies can be a nightmare. Truth is even on a small scale someone can pawn a coupe of sovereigns within hours in any city on the planet but if someone puts themselves in the position of not having living money from buying assets they are a doofus.

Love this....

[youtube]

5. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

Not sure that's an ideal measure, I got 540,000,000 results for iPhone 3...you think silver is a bad investment? See what the spot price for your 3gs is today vs 2010 :)

6. SwissSilverstar

SwissSilverstar New Member

I am stacking with the intention to sell when there is a run on Silver. As long as the geopolitical and monetary order seems intact I would sell in times of a silver-Hype.
    If some kind of worst case scenario would set in, and papermoney would prove worthless I would keep the silver.
    I am not the kind of over-paranoid Stacker but I keep in mind what my grandmother told me. Between WWI and WW2 when she was a Child, her mother who went through WWI always kept self sewed backpacks filled with storable nutrition, and also important documents and some Gold and Silver coins sewed into the backpack in case of an emergency scenario. if thinking about that kind of scenario, combined with anarchy you also need devices to protect your life and the valuables you carry with you.
    Thats why I diversify in Larger Bars and also fractional Silver

7. Oldsoul

Oldsoul New Member

I'd say you are in one of the safest countries on earth and have little to fear from a collapse scenario. After all during WW2 your nation was surrounded quite literally by people blowing each other up and there was no collapse.....no rucksack needed. You are rather fortunate.

8. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

The threat was all to real though, the Germans were ready to invade at a moments notice until very late in 44 and even if the Swiss blew up the tunnels and mountain passes they themselves estimated their capacity for resistance would be measured in days and weeks rather than months. In that scenario they would be completely embargoed without any capacity at all for resupply of anything not grown or mined domestically that could be harvested during a lost cause war.

9. silverbait

silverbait Active Member Silver Stacker

I like the idea of getting a cash loan by silver security and returning cash and taking your silver back. How nice! I hope each of us can be kind to offer that kind of a loan in case someone needs money but hesitant to lose all his silver premiums by selling it so quickly... Today I ve bought 2 more kilos of ABC's 1kg bars :)