Silver and copper coins in US circulation

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Matthew 26:14, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Been in the USA for a few weeks and I've kept every coin I received in change to check for silver and copper and here's the results:

Halves:- 22 with silver. 0

Quarters:- 212. with silver. 0

Dimes:- 302. with silver. 0

Pennies:- 583. Pre 82 with 97% copper 69.

Seems there are no or hardly any silver content coins in circulation and at best 10% of the pennies circulating contain copper.

Nickels or the 5c piece are all now worth about 5.02 cents in Nickel content so I guess they will be next to be debased.

2. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

I have found a couple of 40% quarters recently, but that is unusual. Earlier this year, I bought two boxes of kennedy halves from the treasury. Out of 2000 half dollars, I did not find a single pre 1970 half dollar. Monumental waste of time.

3. Irondog

Irondog New Member

Most US coins containing silver have been plucked from circulation decades ago. It's a waste of time to look now. Sometimes people don't know what they have though...reminds me of the time, about three years ago, a gas-station clerk gave me a Morgan silver dollar as change.

Pre-1982 copper pennies might be worthwhile though...if you've got enough storage area. Copper is worth quite a bit more than the paper copper spot price. Cu sells for more than USD$6/lb at the local industrial metal supply house. Copper bullion can be displayed in plain view and is a great heavy/bulky distraction for theives hoping to get thier hands on your real stack.

4. pmbug

pmbug Active Member

I check my change all the time. It's pretty rare to find 90% silver coins still in circulation, but I do find them from time to time. I have had most success/luck finding 90% dimes than quarters or half dollars.