Signs of a global social-economic collapse

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by TreasureHunter, Jun 14, 2014.

1. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

So Tasmania has room for the Palestinians? Congratulations, you have just brought peace to the Middle East. :lol:

2. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

I am near to certain that THIS 'Great Depression' will have much greater social consequences than in the 1930s.

Families suffered in silence more then than would be so now, less respect for the law, property, and neighbours. I have little to no faith in our law enforcement agencies, and even less in the government.

OC

3. Icon

Icon Member

This one will be much worse. In the 30s people could still hunt, fish, garden, they knew how to survive, and still 7 million people died. Today, most of the hunting lands, gardens and fishing areas are urban areas. When it happens this time, the screaming millions of EBT zombies will leave big cities in search of anything they can pillage, rape, or destroy. The small towns, and rural areas will be over ran.
    Food, ammo and medical supplies will be fought over like dogs after a bone.
    Even your neighbor, who is the nicest man you will ever meet, when his little kids are starving, and he knows you have food, won't be as polite the second time he asks for you to share. You yourself may attack other people if it's the only way your kids will have food.

4. Old Codger

Icon,

"and still 7 million people died."

I had not heard this, does it apply to the US only or world wide etc? I have read a lot on the depression in Australia and actual death by starvation was VERY rare. Does it include suicides perhaps?

"EBT"?

OC

5. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

That 7 million number is from a Russian researcher (Boris Borisov). Borisov used census numbers during a period of great migration, so I wouldn't give his analysis much credence.

The Dust Bowl had a significant effect on starvation and we don't have those conditions as of yet. Even if Dust Bowl conditions return, America produces an incredible amount of food and a that is with a lot of farmland sitting idle.

6. Icon

Icon Member

This was in the US. It was taken from population, immigration, birth and other statistics and this is what was came up with. So it could have been from starvation, murder, suicides etc., but some reports link it to starvation. I am not sure if natural deaths were a separate issue.
    EBT (Electronic Benefits Transfer) is the welfare card now used in the US. There was a couple of times where the system had a glitch, and people in a few cities went nuts.

7. Icon

Icon Member

dccpa may be correct,, google is not always your friend. But still this time around things will be a lot worse economically and socially.

8. Old Codger

9. Old Codger

I have mentioned before a book called 'Weevils in The Flour' (Wendy Lowenstein).

It is a collection of about 400 short (half page) word pictures of day to day life in the Great Depression in Australia, which i am sure was about the same as most other developed countries.

Most struggled on in proud silence, and even doctors etc did not bill for service but usually found a bowl of eggs or somesuch on the porch in the morning. Work on farms was for food and a place to sleep in the barn.

Barter was for basics to stay alive and as said, theft and burglary much less home invasion, were rare.

Not this time.

An interesting feature was that tenant evictions were often reversed by volunteers, with police often looking on as the furniture was deposited on the road as ordered by the court and returned inside by those volunteers.

My grandfather was a rich man, who bought many homes in Shepparton (Vic) in the '30s, and put the 'owner' back in at little or no rent. When I was about 10 I asked my mother what it was like in the great depression and she said "I did not even know there WAS a Depression".

OC

10. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

1) so
    2) unlikely
    3) not going to happen
    4) limited and still unlikely
    5) when? the sun will one day blow up as well are you prepared for that event as wel?
    6) has not had an effect so far on the cities that have.
    7) not going to happen
    8) unlikely
    9) it already has across many countries.
    10) whats your point?
    12) it could, pigs could also fly with genetic modification
    13) unlikely
    14) no
    15) no
    16) no
    17) no -- USA just invades and takes what it wants\ on false premises -- already happened to secure their oil supply well into the future.

11. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Correct, buy this man a beer.

Some people in here need to re adjust their tin foil hats

12. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

I wasn't going to say anything, but I guess you outed yourself. :D

13. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

You are reading sources of sources of sources of sources. Even if the original author hadn't been a Russian researcher not living in America, the source of the information is worthless. Millions of population left the Dust Bowl area of the Midwest in search of a better life. How exactly was the migrant population counted? But let's look at the census numbers themselves to disprove his thesis. The population increased over 9 million in just ten years. So I ask, where is the evidence that 7 million people starved to death in the US during the Great Depression? Even Borisov doesn't claim that 7 million people died, only that the population was 7 million lower than it should have been. Read the RT interview below and you can see that BB is full of crap, making assumptions that have no basis in fact. Borisov doesn't even consider that stress, hunger and bad nutrition would have certainly affected the fertility rate during the Great Depression. When someone is insecure about their future or even their next meal, sex and raising a family is not going to be the first thing on his/her mind.

http://www.cherada.com/articulos/10-million-americans-disappeared-during-the-great-depression-time

1930 population 122,775,046

1940 population 132,164,569

http://www.1930census.com/1930_census.php

http://www.1940census.com/1940_census.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1930_census

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1940_United_States_Census

14. Old Codger

dccpa,

I think a lot of husbands were banished to the back room for much of the time back in the '30s.

OC

15. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

I'll believe it when i see it actually happening on t.v news.

16. Old Codger

I look forward to that day, and the queue of embarrassed economic 'experts' in the MSM making claims that "I predicted this".

OC

17. BeHereNow

BeHereNow New Member

"The Great Depression had a silver lining: During that hard time, U.S. life expectancy increased by 6.2 years, researchers say.

Life expectancy rose from 57.1 in 1929 to 63.3 years in 1932, according to the analysis by U-M researchers Jos A. Tapia Granados and Ana Diez Roux. The increase occurred for both men and women, and for whites and non-whites.

"The finding is strong and counterintuitive," says Tapia Granados, the lead author of the study and a researcher at the Institute for Social Research. "Most people assume that periods of high unemployment are harmful to health."

For the study, researchers used historical life expectancy and mortality data to examine associations between economic growth and population health for 1920 to 1940. They found that while population health generally improved during the four years of the Great Depression and during recessions in 1921 and 1938, mortality increased and life expectancy declined during periods of strong economic expansion, such as 1923, 1926, 1929, and 1936-1937.
    "
    http://ur.umich.edu/0910/Oct05_09/19.php

18. Old Codger

That amazes me though I cannot dispute it.

Both nutrition and health care would have suffered in those tough times, and I wonder why it would have made such a dramatic improvement.

JMO

OC

19. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

Why would you look forward to a depression ?

20. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

I'm sure the Liberals will look after us.