Shill Bidding

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by jasopehe, Feb 21, 2014.

1. long88

long88 Member

everyone employ their own tactics to get the best possible price.

if you think you dont like it, dont bid, dont even look at ebay.. go to retail store and pay their full price (price is only 1 of the equation).

it is says there on ebay policy, but it is done on all almost auctions that i have seen, and ebay just keep a close eye on it.

even if you reported it.. the seller just change the name/email and they start again. and all of those seller are power seller.

good luck shopping on ebay..

2. monopolize

monopolize Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hey long what's you eBay id so I can put you on the ignore list. :)

3. monopolize

True. But there's a reason why shill bidding is 'banned' in real estate auctions.

4. long88

long88 Member

and it is a standard practise here in melbourne.. no one can proof it...

any dude on the street can raise their hand or nod his head.. and this is considered bid..

you dont like it.. dont use it or buy it.. bad luck.. it is a free market out there.. so what you think is irrelevant..

5. long88

long88 Member

i have more than a dozen.... all have thousands of positive feedback.. you probably run across it without you knowing it.

6. monopolize

Yup we're all entitled to our opinions. But it's not really what i think in this case. It's what the government says and it's the law. I think shill bidding is a form of market manipulation so I don't consider it a free market when it occurs. But we all have different moral standards. I don't blame a guy for doing what he does to feed his family as long as no one gets hurt. :)

7. monopolize

Yeah that's exactly why I want to know so I don't waste my time when I come across them.

8. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

9. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

ditto on the ignore list...sounds like this individual is guilty of lots of shill bidding....a Bernie Madoff in the making perhaps

10. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

i cant believe you can so openly admit to shill bidding. you have no business ethics at all
    and as for "you dont like it.. dont use it or buy it.. bad luck.. it is a free market out there.. so what you think is irrelevant"
    can i pay bikies to rock up and threaten anyone who bids against me so i get the place cheap?

11. clear

clear Well-Known Member

that's right you are in control of your time and your bidding (just put your highest bid in first and don't even wait for a result come back when the auction finishes - but we all like the adrenal rush and the excitement of getting a bargain but don't like the downer and disappointment when we loose), the seller is allowing/asking you to purchase at your price. If you a bidding against someone real or fakes or even yourself it doesn't matter, you only bid what you want to pay - nothing more.

12. BeHereNow

BeHereNow New Member

It doesn't matter if I bid against myself???
    You are loony.
    Nuts.
    Not in touch with reality.
    Fail to see the trees or the forest.

I often told people that eBay was much more like a live auction than they realized. I would try to explain this, not always successfully.

I would say anyone who frequented live auctions has bid against themselves at least one time. New auctioneer, confusion of the crowd, just not paying attention, it happens.
    A good and fair auctioneer will see this, and tell you "You are in with the high bid, I will let you know if you are outbid.", and they do.
    The other thing is a husband and wife bidding against each other, unintentionally, as the pocket is the same.
    A good auctioneer who catches this will make a joke, and point it out, to end the confusion.
    Just because I say to myself "I am willing to pay $100 for that.", doesn't mean I would not prefer to pay $75, and that if I did bid myself up to $100, I have cheated myself. Nobody to blame but myself, but still cheated.
    We can cheat ourselves, by throwing our money away.

One auctioneer we stopped patronizing was notorious for accepting bids from the pictures on the wall. We found that out just before we stopped going to his auctions.
    You may think it does me no harm to be bidding against a picture on the wall, or a support pole, I disagree.
    My wife is the kind of person who likes to see who her competition is, it can be helpful in strategy. She often watches where the item goes, and noticed that some of the items she lost the bidding on went back on the shelf. We stopped bidding and started watching as this happened several times, to other people.

You are free to bid against yourself and think it is not costing you money.
    Don't be peeing on my leg and telling me it is raining, as they say.
    Ditto on bidding against the pictures on the wall. The auctioneers must love you. Outbid yourself and when it is pointed out you cheerfully proclaim "Please take all of my bids, I'm having fun and it cost me no money."

So tell us, when you go to a flea market or yard sale, do you always pay full asking price? No haggling over "Best price."
    Doubt that.
    For your type, full price is for other folks.
    JMHO

13. BeHereNow

BeHereNow New Member

For the record, for any auction on eBay I only place one bid.
    I have never been in a bidding war.
    No escalation of minimal increments.

One bid, that is what I am willing to pay, end of story.
    No adrenaline rush.
    I generally (not always) place it five seconds before the end of an auction, from a remote server. A technique called "sniping".
    It is not a total safeguard against shill bidding, but it helps.

14. long88

long88 Member

at least i am honest about it.. and that is where the value is...

business ethics.. i am sure you will find some other people who are worse than me.. have you ever bought some fake item which is declared as original.. now that is someone who need to be shot at.

as in paying bikies to get the lowest price.. that is why we have the shill bid.. to protect my reserve price, whilst getting your interested on the 0.99 start up price.. it is just a business tactics... to get your attention.. you put your max bid.. and move on..

you see this kind of tactics being deployed everywhere.. whether you can prove it or not.. it is different story..

at the end of the day.. someone is getting their original prized items that is being sold cheaper than retail, and i am happy to sell it my reserve price. everyone wins..

everyone flocking to ebay to look for bargain, not the highest price possible (if you dont mind paying retail, then go to retail store to buy, stop wasting time), and there are tactics to get best prices.. you want to survive the competition not be the next person to close down.

obviously dealing with customer from ebay.. different type of herd again.. and need a different way to handle it..

up until today, business still going strong.. pay ebay, pay paypal, end customer happy, i made my money, pay my tax, who cares about you think ??

15. long88

long88 Member

bernie madoff runs a ponzi scheme..

i am selling an item at regular basis, item that everyone need.

the day you come to need the item, it doesnt matter how much it is, you have to pay for it.. and i hope you dont have to pay through the roof for that item.

16. BeHereNow

BeHereNow New Member

Well I for one am glad to hear you announce in your auctions that you will be placing shill bids.
    But it does seem that would be 'bad for business'.

At least now we know how to avoid your auctions.

17. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

18. Shamatti

Shamatti Member

It is a simple matter of pride and honesty.

Some of us can only derive a feeling of pride in ourselves if we deal honestly.

Other people appear to either have no pride, or no decency. These people should be avoided at all costs.

For myself, I gain a sense of self satisfaction and I am very proud of myself, because I am honest in everything I do. I can't imagine going home at the end of the day knowing that I have behaved dishonestly, and ripped people off, and being able to maintain any kind of love for myself.

It appears other don't have such moral fibre, and can somehow feel happy knowing they have collected the maximum profit from someone regardless.

This is everything which is wrong with the world today, and quite honestly it makes me sick. You should be ashamed of yourselves. I will certainly be avoiding doing any deals with dishonest weasels who have shown their despicable hand on this thread. Shame on you.

19. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

100% agree. And I think and conduct myself the same as you.... but I know sometimes I get fkd over because of it.

20. clear

clear Well-Known Member

Wow excellent response, I'm not peeing on your leg, but at the next auction ask the auctioneer to give you a "Golden Shower" - might wake you up.