Shanghai Mint - Maya 2012 Medal - pics + video

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by Stark, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

Hi people!

Here is my lame attempt to make some pictures and videos of this interesting medal.

I've found it accidentally when I was searching for some info about other Chinese medal(s).

It's brass. It's 90 mm. It's heavy. It's cool. :)

With it I also get huge pyramid which is holding smaller box for medal and COA. It's the biggest box for any coin or medal I have or have ever seen.

I will try to make better video and pictures for next medal(s)! ;) I'm far away from skill of master barsenault. :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ym6bpMjNH4[/youtube]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Pretty cool medal.

For some reason it reminds me of the kids show, "Legends of the Hidden Temple"!

3. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Wow this is introducing by mmising to me. I bought it.

This has 2 versions.

4. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Awesome medal!

The detail and ultra high relief is spectacular!

It's a big winner in my book. Plus, if someone really likes official mint medals, this one is an official mint medal.

I used to think that the Mexico Mint Aztec kilo coin had the best looking rendition / sculpt of the Aztec Calendar, but now I know that it's only second best.

5. Stark

I found this medal on this page (which I found accidentally when searching on Google) (somewhere in the middle):

http://forums.silverstackers.com/to...-medals-cast-by-the-shanghai-mint-page-5.html

BE CAREFUL! This page contains vast amount of amazing MCCM! ;)

When I saw this Mayan medal I start searching for it. No luck.

One day I check Lucky Pawnshop's new products and I saw this medal. I bought it immediately. :)

6. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Hey stark thanks for posting the link, dang, there are a lot of nice ones list on that link. wow. where was in 2011/2012...collecting blobs, oblivious to the beautiful world of Chinese medals.

By the way, your Mayan piece, pictures and video is really nice. thanks for posting those images. wowza.

7. Stark

Do you maybe have some info about 2nd version?

Thank you all for kind words and compliments. In near future I plan to buy new phone, so hopefully quality will improve.;) Also my hands are shaking a little bit, although I don't drink much alcohol anymore. :p

@barsenault: I'm asking this myself as well. Few years ago I was "big fan" of CIT. They produced many interesting coins and managed (well Mayer (?) mint) to push the limits of the "industry", but lately I'm harder and harder getting impressed by them. A lot of successors of new series are quite let down for me.

Now I only wish to know more about China (Asia) in general and visit it someday.

It's obvious that they are not copying the stuff, but they are some steps ahead of the others. :)