Seriously WTF - Perth Mint

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by silverzman, Nov 19, 2015.

1. silverzman

silverzman Active Member Silver Stacker

I just bought a 5oz set recently from 2008 till 2016.

On all the coins there is small milk spots/imperfections even on the Monkey.

On the 2011 Rabbit there is a scratch from the minting process.

I know there is another thread about milk spots but seriously how can they keep producing sub standard products?

2. Ronnie 666

Ronnie 666 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Ask Bron

3. silverreef

silverreef Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

send it back

4. ninteno

ninteno Member

Hi silverzman,

if you bought them recently i think you bought them all in once from one seller and not yourself year by year.

First point, maybe the seller gives them away because he was aware of the spots and want to secure the premium before its too late.
    All my lunars from 2008-2015 are from first had dealer buys and picked up year by year. No problems with spots expect one 2oz Tiger.
    All other 1/2,1,5,10oz, 1/2kg and kg are spot free.
    I never did open the caps.

I bought some older 2009 pandas recently and i did open one cap to check exactly to be sure not getting fakes.
    I did use gloves but not a breathing protection. I used a magnifier for jewelery, so the coin was close to my face.
    2 month later exactly the one i did popen has a spot now, all other 7 pcs are fine. All coins were stored in the same area. I was carefully but in the end a spot is there.

So in conclusion, the more the coins going from hand to hand the risk for getting spots will be higher in my opinion.
    On the other hand i have a sheet of rwanda 2015 coins with spots too, never touched and in original seal.

If i were you i would contact the seller and try to call of the deal.

5. silverzman

The issue is not with the seller (he has already made good on that). I am happy with the purchase and it comes down to why these milk spots are developing. They are very small and only apparent when a light is shone on the queens face.

On all the coins it is on the mirrored queens face that has the issue, animal side are all good. So they must have defects in the die or something for this to keep happening.

6. toblov

toblov New Member

I have some 10 oz horses received directly from a dealer having these small white spots on the queen head as well.

7. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

man, oh man, I'm more and more convinced that unless you buy these perth mint bullion coins at about the same price as eagles, we will be getting hosed. it is no longer worth the risk to pay the premium on the 1 oz lunar (or any other high premium PM coins) - sorry Bron, and team.
    If you buy, you will be getting ripped off. Because if you spend 24, 28.00, 30, 35, etc...for those coins, and they develop spots, you'll be lucky to get a bit over spot. Now if you can buy a 2016 10 oz kook for 165.00, well, the price is 16.50, and premium is lower than eagles, so if they develop spots, you know you'll probably break even (on the premium) when you go to sell down the road. but the max I will spend on premium is about the 3.50 price range. otherwise, the Perth Mint is stealing money from your pockets. Get your act together Perth Mint team. Geesh Louis. Or STOP STEALING from us...lower your premium on those 1 oz coins to normal bullion coins (i.e. Eagles, Pandas, etc...), because that's all you are, normal. You are no longer different or better. You are just like the Canadians who product white turds for bullion.

8. Ronnie 666

These are manufacturing issues as we have discussed before. I showed the image of my 1/2 kg ox which has the same pox. Looks OK in normal light but obvious in indirect light (below).

[​IMG]

There is nothing that can be done. I have seen this on brand new unopened tigers, dragons, snakes and monkeys - several sizes. Clearly this is not some nasal spray but a problem right out of the PM. They don't want to know about it and if they haven't fixed the problem in 5 years don't expect they will do anything now. I have no doubt this is the same milk spot issue - mini spots.

9. Ronnie 666

10. silverzman

Yes exactly that Ronnie

11. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Same thing with a 2015 kilo kook I had :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. silverzman

I wonder if we can return our coins to the mint because they are not fit for purpose ;)

Now I think about it, a class action, lunar collectors vs Perth mint to force them to fix it and remint the coins we have already paid for without the added milk spots.

13. barsenault

I'd be more than happy to join that class action. :))

14. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Which is why I've stopped buying any silver with mirror surfaces. Just heartbreaking to see milkspots develop even after you try your best to protect them.

15. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Welcome to the darkside barsenault. :lol:

If the kooks are still available at a low premium when silver bottoms, I will buy some of them. But if the PM wants to take me to Monkeytown, they are going to have to lower the fare.

16. barsenault

Yep. I'm done with the lunars for sure!! if not for the low premiums for the kooks, I'd be done with them too. But can't beat the design of the 2016 kook at low prices. Provident metals price for kilo is about 16.11 per oz for the kook...granted they're not for sale just yet, but that's not a bad price. I'll buy that all day, every day...if it develop spots, then oh well, I'm not too bummed out. But I'm staying away from the premium stuff from here on in.

17. silversearcher

silversearcher Active Member Silver Stacker

Well Well ! The Perth Mint strikes backs with another case of ineptitude. They are not alone with these over priced pieces of crucible fodder. Once again it's a given the consumer cops it in the neck again. Two words defines many of the mints of late - NO CREDIBILITY.

18. Beyond

Beyond Well-Known Member

because they are silver
    nobody can keeps well forever
    i spent more more money to created a group to research how to remove spots in universary labbut still cant

19. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

A big part of the problem with removal is that the milk spots are consuming some of the silver, causing an indentation as can be seen in the electron microscope photos provided by Bron:

[​IMG]

I did find a method that has potential to remove spots and restore the surface, even the indentations, but it would be prohibitively expensive.

20. barsenault

And then to keep them off, and for other areas to not form any. It is a losing battle. Low premium bullion is the way to go.