Series 2 colored bullion question

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by mmissinglink, Feb 1, 2013.

1. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Hi,

For the colored bullion coins, is the coloring applied supposed to be applied over a regular bullion strike which has a significant dimensional relief of the mice on a bed of straw or are the colored coins a different, very low and smooth relief strike bullion? I purchased recently a 2 oz 2008 colored Mouse and looking at a Series 2 colored bullion coin closely for the first time, I noticed that the mice and straw lack any sharp significant relief (3-dimensionality)....they appear to be ever so slightly raised and soft/smooth. Nice colors but very little relief...I'm assuming that this is how they are supposed to be minted but I can not find info which details this.

Thanks for your help.

2. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

The coins that are "pad printed" are minted using a special die that produces a flat area for the application of the colour.

Soak a coloured coin in acetate etc, and you will get a coin with a flat outline with no relief where the colour was.

In other words - don't try and convert a coloured coin back to a regular bullion coin - the dies are different.

3. mmissinglink

Thank you...that makes total sense.

4. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

I've got a coloured 1/2 ox with the colour removed. Where the colour was its a dull featureless finish. You cant remove the color to make the coin look like a bullion coin. If so all the 2oz coloured Mouse would have been de-coloured !

5. mmissinglink

Right Matthew, I totally get that point. I am not interested at all in defacing in any way any colored coin I received....I just wanted to be certain it wasn't a fake that I received.

But after thinking on this question since I posted it, I realize that it would be quite impractical (technology-wise) to colorize a Lunar series bullion coin because printing a detailed image on a 3-dimensional surface is just a very complicated process I can only assume. The colored dyes could only be applied to a relatively flat surface otherwise it would probably be a very costly type of printing process the other way around.