Sending silver to USA

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by EasyCollective, Jan 20, 2013.

1. EasyCollective

EasyCollective New Member Silver Stacker

Hi Forum,.

Ive tried sending a couple of coins to the USA mostly sovereigns and this time, some lunar coins.

However to ship one coin from NSW, Central Coast to Portland USA, it cost me $20, registered. And It weighed only one ounce.

Is there, (there must be) a cheaper way to send a coin to the USA. I did ask the lady at my local post office to give me the cheapest option.

This was a 'tough bag' $2, and registered post $19ish.

Any ideas would be great

2. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Really? i got charged $27 registered to the US and was told that was the cheapest way now regardless of the weight, im also in NSW, but yeah its too much to send small amounts silver so i stopped sending worldwide on ebay.. wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to much hassle, selling on ebay is a total nightmare these days.

1for1

3. libertadiac

libertadiac Member Silver Stacker

Seems to be both ways. I just bought a coin from US with postage listed as $6.95 but now advised it can only be sent registered for $30. Over the past 6 months have purchased several 1 oz coins from US (and elsewhere) sent with tracking for $4 - $7, but a few months ago US sellers starting insisting on priority mail at $16.95 for bullion priced coins (rather than the previous only if over $100 ).
    On a slightly different note 2 items I sent registered post within Australia before xmas are still showing in transit on tracking, despite being received weeks ago. Fortunately the buyers were honest, but this could be problematic. Perhaps all will need to be FTF dealings. So much for the internet making global trade easy.

4. SA@YPS

SA@YPS New Member

The only way we can get tracking in the US when sending internationally as required by paypal seller protection, is to send via Registered or Express post. I think it is around $10-$11 to add registered w/o insurance to a package.

5. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

A 10oz I sent last week to the US cost $19.70 Registered... Maybe it's a minimum for Registered mail to the country.

I think you can send it by sea mail as a (not much) cheaper option but you have to wait up to 3 months for it then

6. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

actually ebay does not accept registered mail the tracking is only available until it leaves the country, if there is a problem it can be investigated by the USPS but it can take up to 90 days at that point you money and probably coin are long gone with a paypal /ebay chargeback, you can send registered if it makes you feel better but wont help with seller protection with ebay , and usps will not insure precious metals overseas so if it goes missing you are screwed , trust me I know from experience with this. The only way to safely send international is express mail which starts at $38 for a flat rate envelope but I charge $40 since you are still being charged ebay/paypal fees on the shipping. And if it does go missing you are still screwed because ebay needs proof of delivery , and good luck dealing with the usps on a missing package , they will try to avoid you with all kinds of clever tricks. Luckily most transactions go smooth!

7. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Really?

Then how come i got charged $27 for a 2 gram coin... i knew it was a farking rip-off but they said its not based on weight anymore.. all items under 1kg ship at the same rate.

It was enough to make me quit selling on ebay.com or ebay.com.au to OS buyers..

1for1

8. Melty

Melty New Member Silver Stacker

I hate eBay and Paypal!

I quit selling in 2010. 2013 is when I quit buying.

ebay will not let me buy anything unless i link my paypal account since the last time i used it. Then paypal would not let me use a credit card to make purchases unless i give them my bank account info.

They can have fun without me.

9. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Stop selling small items!

I just sent a kilo package to the states and a 1.5 kg package to Spain. Both cost around $55 which was what was recommended by the postie. No tracking and no insurance but I am posting to people who I deal with regularly so I trust them.

I do a couple of trades with these folks every year but it is getting to be too expensive to do trades any more.

10. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I just sent a fob chain to the states
    $20 postage registered
    And the $10 levy to the USA doesn't apply anymore :eek:

11. EasyCollective

EasyCollective New Member Silver Stacker

Its especially sad when over in the USA there is a competitve market in terms of domestic shipping and postal services. DHL, UPS, Fedex etc. And in Australia we have what? Like Australia Post who holds all of the market and can charge as they please.

I had an item sent from the USA to here, in less than 6 days and it cost me i think $8 with tracking.

12. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

What shipping company ships packages international from the USA for $8.00 with tracking?? I have never seen that.

13. dag108

dag108 Member Silver Stacker

Hi im about to ship a roll to USA and it wants me to declare the items. Is it ok to write down silver bullion?

14. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

do you guys have EMS?

15. dag108

dag108 Member Silver Stacker

What is EMS

16. Maggie

Maggie New Member Silver Stacker

You will have no problems if you put .999 Ag

17. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

We have (basically) flat rate to everywhere in the world so is the same if I send package to neighbor Italy or USA. :)

It's more funny getting shipping rates from US sellers. I doubt there were two telling me the same number for 1 oz coin. :)