Send The Price Of Gold Hurtling Into The $1,400s

Discussion in 'Gold' started by alor, Jun 4, 2016.

1. 2nd_Hand_Gold_Man

2nd_Hand_Gold_Man Member

2. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/watch-gold-jump-to-1400-if-uk-votes-to-brexit-2016-06-14

"Brexit would be very beneficial for shorting sterling and we will probably see a big pick up in gold. In that scenario we think gold could hit $1,400 [an ounce]," he said on the sidelines of the Inside ETFs Europe conference in Amsterdam.

"We've looked at previous risk events and for instance when Greece nearly left the Eurozone [in the summer of 2015] we saw really elevated futures positioning. We are making the assumption that we would see net longs for quite an extended period of time in gold in a Brexit scenario," he said. He stressed, however, that a U.K. exit from the EU, or Brexit, isn't what he thinks will mostly likely occur.

Early polling suggests that the vote next week will be close. Recent surveys show an increase in support for the "leave" campaign. Meanwhile, the bookmakers are still pointing to a narrow win for the "stay" camp. That uncertainty is fueling jitters in the financial markets. The pound GBPUSD, +0.0282% for example, has shaved off 2.3% against the dollar in June so far, while the U.K. blue-chip benchmark, the FTSE 100 index UKX, -0.27% is down 4.8%.

Gold, on the other hand has been one of the best performing assets with a 7.7% rise this month, partly lifted by a dovish statement from the Federal Reserve.

3. 2nd_Hand_Gold_Man

2nd_Hand_Gold_Man Member

allmost spot on toll only 2 days out......................any more clues with an upside??????????????? send me a msg lol

4. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/15/gold...ndicates-cautious-approach-to-rate-hikes.html

Gold pared gains after it rallied to a two-year peak as the U.S. Federal Reserve sounded a less dovish note after its latest policy meeting, with the metal reaching three-year highs in euro and sterling terms ahead of Britain's vote on whether to leave the European Union.

The June 23 referendum has dented appetite for assets viewed as higher risk and sent investors scurrying for bonds and gold.

Spot gold was down 0.43 percent at $1,285.81 an ounce, falling below the psychologically key level of $1,300 an ounce. U.S. gold futures for August delivery settled up $10.10 at $1,298.40, and last gained 80 cents to $1,289.10. Spot prices have bounced 7 percent this month after sliding to a 3-1/2 month low on May 30.

5. tolly_67

tolly_67 Well-Known Member

Oooooops ....how embarrasing......
    It is a bit like a scene from Get Smart...
    " Would you believe Chief that on Tuesday gold will be smashed $100 and the stockmarket will halve.."
    Chief.." I find that very hard to believe Max..."
    Max.." How about 20 dollars down and flat on the Dow?"
    Chief." No Max"

6. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

In my view, it's not really a matter of if gold will surpass USD$1400 but rather when.

7. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think that once the Chinese and Russians have drained the physical out of the paper markets they'll use gold as a sledgehammer to break the Dollar. Might be SDRs as Rickards says, or something else, but the price of gold will be multiples of it's current value, and we'll look back at the good old days when we felt comfortable because we had gold to hedge our futures.

8. tolly_67

tolly_67 Well-Known Member

Russian hold 80 billion and the Chinese hold 1.2 trillion dollars worth of U.S. bonds.
    Why on earth would they want to devalue their own holdings?
    I would be far more concerned holding Rouble or Yuan.
    This gold sledgehammer is a fantasy. If anything, the Chinese will buy U.S. dollar using the gold proxy.
    The Chinese are smart and they know the U.S. dollar will be the last to fall. As the dollar skyrockets, the Chinese will ride it.
    The dollar and gold will rise together.

9. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

I woke up this morning and saw my positions disappeared, nice for a change to have it gone for take a take profit rather than stop loss. Go gold go!

I'm glad I had the faith and bought the physical when you could get ounces at $1700 and under.

I think it's gonna be the best way to get money to my sister in Toronto or the states. Spot minus $10 seems to be the going rate for re-saleable ounces in North America. You don't have to see many exchange window rates with their LED changing rip off prices too see it's gonna be cheaper, even than wholesalers. I'm thinking of trying instant buy and sell bitcoin using local bitcoins...so if I think gold or bitcoin are gonna go up I need to buy them now, bitcoin I can buy on the other side....so many options.

I'd love to see $1400usd while I'm over there.

10. PeterS

PeterS Member

Yes, well, I have obviously missed the bus on gold. I've been buying a regular weekly amount of silver though for a while and am doing well on that. If only I could have afforded to buy gokd on the same basis...... Makes me think of tge the SAS motto "Who Dares Wins" ................!