Selling Precious Metals in a time of crisis

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by silverslut, May 18, 2014.

1. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

Money today worth about nothing. You cannot buy big company, sea port, huge pile of land (talking about hundreds of millions or billions). This is just the beginning.
    Wealthy find the only way to spend big money on arts, yachts, etc. The trend is obvious, so how long should we wait until $100 in the pocket becomes almost nothing when you go out for 5 min?

2. BeHereNow

BeHereNow New Member

In time of dire needs, someone has the goods.
    Warehouses are not all burned, flooded, destroyed, and someone has the keys.
    Farmland is not all destroyed, crops can be harvested, and someone controls access.
    90% may be without, but 10% will have massive quantities, of certain things.

Barter alone will never last long.
    As good are exchanged, those with much will want payment, not just more consumable goods, not just barter. They will want to store their wealth.
    That payment can take many forms, historically PM has been a big player.

Fiat - PM - barter.
    In a SHTF scenario that is how needs will be meet.
    Barter wears out real fast, and fiat is dead on liftoff.
    PM would remain, as I see things in my crystal ball.

I would want brass and lead, rice and beans, for myself and to barter, but if I am planning for the inevitable recovery, PM will be there, for buying and selling.

Tobacco, hemp, seashells, not so much.

3. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

all that needs to happen is lights out and the world as we know it has changed no supermarket, no banking, no computer etc.... and yeah I would rather have silver or gold in my hand even diamonds.

above all some fertile land and a very big fence :)

look we are 100 years in to humanity as we know it and we don't know what the future holds or even know how to plan for it we are very very very young as a people and not real smart, my hope is we are smart enough to work through all the obstacles that are in front of us and there are many, and solve them with in a way that everyone on the planet has what they need and if need be find another planet and that's down the track a bit. the sun still has 5 billion years left before it engulfs us.

the plan is simple I guess its getting through the age of :stuff. and thinking about our children's children not our petty wants.

there is hope for us as humans we got this far but its only a blip if we really care about the future of this planet after we are gone lots has to change! I have faith we can do it !!

4. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

5. tolly_67

tolly_67 Well-Known Member

With governments hunting money and raising taxes combined with lowering interest rates way below natural levels, they have created the conditions for a deflationary spiral feeding itself.
    This is what destroys economies. When capital is hoarded and investment evaporates.
    We elect morons and in the end we get what we deserve.
    Gold and silver can rise with inflation or deflation. Get those fixed relationships out of your head.
    It is the lack of faith in governments that turn people to gold, silver, real estate, diamonds etc, etc.
    Locking your wealth into tangible items.
    This is what the Chinese are doing right now. Real estate being the investment of choice.
    Just wait to the debt crisis in Europe rears its head again. The rush out of the euro currency will certainly start things moving.

6. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There was also more bankrupts than any other time in history.

7. Rinchin

Rinchin New Member

I suspect depression bankruptcies are really the result of prior bad decisions coming home to roost. If you're buying in such a time this should be a hard position to lose from.

8. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

Then that debtdriven, pricebloated real estate market sees the corrections that were blocked for decades.