Sell me an idea

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by sai, Sep 11, 2012.

1. sai

sai New Member

Hi everyone,

First up Im a numis kinda guy... most of my stacking has so far been in generic bullion rounds or bars, and while I have bought some numis coins these have been cheap and not with a purpose other than they look pretty (disclaimer, yes i bought into dragon fever with the 1 oz'ers). Ive previously collected comics (amongst other things) since a child and while I want the bulk of my stack to be best value for my fiat Id like to start collecting something. So Im putting it out to you more knowledgeable folks.. what collecto-stack should I pursue?

So far I've been thinking British sovereigns as its something I can do over the coming years and I currently dont have any gold. Alternatively there are lunars but theres no fun in being able to buy the set straight up on ebay...

Anyways sell me an idea, the logic behind it as well as the potential pros and cons.

regards
    sai

2. wiggles

wiggles Member

I'll sell you an idea.

It will cost you 1oz of silver :D

3. sai

sai New Member

pure or sterling?

4. Silver Soul

Silver Soul Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Your cheap! If you want to buy my idea I charge 20 oz silver a word.

5. sai

sai New Member

Who pays postage?

6. Silver Soul

Silver Soul Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

......>>>>>>YOU<<<<<<<<....... :rolleyes:

7. sai

sai New Member

PM'd :p

8. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've always thought a full set of high grade Perth Mint Sovereigns would be a fun collection to track down. They made them from 1899 to 1931 so there aren't that many and they're relatively easy to find with very few super-expensive years.

South African or Canadian sovereigns have even smaller date ranges but some of the years are very rare.

9. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You mustn't have many ideas?

10. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Australian Pre Decimals.

They are easy to find in all conditions.
    There is a decent sized market to play in, lots of people happy to buy them off you when you quit.
    There are price guides issued each year, good for insuring the collection and tracking the values.
    Cheap entry into the hobby, a junk set will cost you less than spot for the easy to find ones.
    Branch out into varieties and errors at any time.
    Collect in Copper, Gold and Silver
    Different Monarchs on the coins
    Perth Mint and RAM are not churning out tons of crap for you to collect each month.

Actually just collect anything that has an end point to it so you don't get caught up buying rubbish just to maintain the collection.

11. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Oh and I wouldn't bother with sets. Just buy the best coin in the best condition you can afford. A common coin in perfect condition can be worth more than a rarer coin in poor condition.

Just remember Desirability, Rarety and Condition are the key factors when making investment purchases.

Sure sets are nice but most of the coins in the sets are not going to be particularly desirable or rare. So you are not going to see a massive rise in their value but if you get a rare coin it has far better chances of increasing in value.

Plus money you spend on a common coin in top condition is money you could have put towards a rare coin in better condition.

I don't really collect pre dec myself but I have a large accumulation of the stuff!

12. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

I'd recommend pre-decimal typesets.

VERY good money in it - I've now sold 3 and near enough doubled my money each time.

All you need is silver pre-dec. Then start sorting. Let me know if you want some more info - can easily sort you out. :D

13. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Sets - are for suckers..

WHY..

You spend your energy getting something that is worth more inividually..

I can tell you the best coins to buy to easily increase your intial investments.. but youd need to be an expert or decent with numismatics to buy.

ALL SILVER PRE 45'

Pre decimal Australia
    India Ruppe and Anna
    Chinese pre 1950
    Straights Settlements, British Borneo, Cypress, Malaysia

Buy these and you will be handsomely rewarded.

Most of the stuff i have got has ^ 300% since 08... about double the increase in spot silver..

As always, Good luck getting near spot and not buying fakes!

Modern Numis is for Suckers!

1for1

14. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

sai, I'll give you a few ideas of what you could pickup that could have very good numismatic potential.

One of my favourites which can be hard to come by is the Perth Mint, 2011 Australian Koala 10oz Silver Bullion Coin
    These coins are snapped up quickly on auction sites and are going for a very good premium. I noticed some one sold a few of these here in the sell forum too cheap, the buyer got a bargain.

The mintage is low, just 10,051 coins.

Reason the mintage was low - Perth suspended striking the coins while they were upgrading their presses. (2011, 5oz and 10oz coins were affected; except the 2011 Kookaburra) They never did remint more of the 10 oz Koalas, 10 oz Lunar Rabbit or 5oz Lunar Rabbit.

So in my opinion the following coins should appreciate at good premium over spot in the future; they already have numismatic value.

1st place - 2011 10 oz Koala
    2nd place - 2011 - 5 oz Lunar Rabbit
    3rd place - 2011 - 10 oz Lunar Rabbit

Also another modern coin that has potential is the 2009 Australian Kookaburra 2oz Silver Bullion Coin.
    It's the last 2 oz kookaburra to be minted and has the inique P20 mint mark. Perth had planned to re-mint 2 oz Kooks for inclusion to the 2013 bullion program but for some reason they didn't. Perth also have a 2014 - 2 oz Kook approved for minting but again that may or may not be struck depending on demand.

If you could pick-up a few of the 2oz P20 Kooks cheaply they probably would be worthy of holding to see what happens at the Perth Mint.

H

15. SilverTouch

SilverTouch Active Member Silver Stacker

Well there can only be one answer to this.................... All the perthmint dragons they released from proofs, dragons of legend, baby dragons and all the colours of the rainbow ones :p

just think how many different ones there are and once you have them you can then get the perthmint asain dragon releases hahaha

16. Philski

Philski Member

If you want a Sovereigns go Australian every time. post 1920 Pre 1900. Perth mint have a better average sale price than other mints apart from the obvious Type 1-2-3-4 Sydney and Melbourne mint, but check a reputable catalogue or 2 and wait till the coin you really want "and so does everyone else" comes up. the one with real value and growth potential. what i think is a good start to a long term profitable coin collection. No1: a great coin and No 2: Great Storage. they must be keep in great conditions at all times in an appropriate atmosphere. Or you wont sell much when it comes time to sell and defiantly not the money a gem coin will attract. Boring but true.

what i look for is
    Pattern coins any condition
    Rare years in aUnc+
    unc or outstanding Error
    Gem Proof or slabbed rare mintage
    Gem UNC rare years

some of the above sell for more than gold per weight so i guess its all relative.

17. sai

sai New Member

Its not necessarily about selling them as a set but something to work toward and theres a lot out there so just getting ideas for further research

18. Philski

Philski Member

i love breaking up sets. I make stacks, keep the good coins as investments for my kids/kids and increase the inherent value of sets because they are diminishing in one easy task. Same as rolls.

I dont think of an unlimited mintage coloured dragon or anything similar as anything other than bullion till its used in currency exchange and becomes numismatic. Even if its limited its just a collector to me and only 10%- of them end up valuable because of market trends, design, needs and wants. Picking a winner for your investment. is pretty straight forward date wise, but requires a good eye and plenty of time.

if you want an idea*
    Low lying Nations that will go under if the ocean rises. Tuvalu, Maldives etc. You will have Modern Atlantis coins if they do go under? and silver content coins (proof sets) if they dont.