Scratches on America the Beautiful from Perth Bullion

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Scope, May 3, 2014.

1. Scope

Scope New Member

Do the America the Beautiful coins come in capsules? The 2013 ones I bought from Perth Bullion/ Bullion Bourse didn't come in capsules and Perth Bullion shipped them in a 5oz coin tube. As there were only 4 bare coins in the tube, this means the coins were constantly hitting each other during shipping.

There are scratches on all four coins and were either incurred during shipping or were already scratched. Not really impressed with Perth Bullion. I've been a long time customer of them and my orders always gets delayed, sometimes up to a month before shipping. I've gotten milk spots in a few of my recent orders. And now I get scratched coins! Very frustrating to say the least.

I just hope they will let me exchange them.

2. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Any pictures ?

3. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

As they're considered bullion (despite limited mintage), bulk orders of the coins don't come with capsules so guessing PB would have received them naked too.

Unfortunately common sense didn't prevail this time and they weren't packed properly, they should offer you an exchange.

Milk spots on coins have nothing to do with PB so can't blame them for that one.

4. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

We all know who's to blame...
    [​IMG]

5. db23

db23 Member

Scratches on the bullion ATB coins are not uncommon. They do not come in capsules from the mint, which is probably add very little cost and likely resolve the problem. Getting them out of the tube is probably the biggest cause of the scratches.

6. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

I think it is normal to receive scratched ATB bullion as none of the coin is capsuled from the mint. They are bound to hit and scratch each other during transit from the mint to dealers, and from dealer to customers.

Provident Metals even released an official statement saying that they will only sell ATBs in Monster Boxes, I guess they have too many returns when customers complain they receive scratched coins.

Provident Metals' statement here: http://www.blog.providentmetals.com/featured-products/5-oz-atbs-to-sell-in-monster-boxes-only.htm

"As the remaining America the Beautiful 5 oz Silver coins are released from the United States Mint, they will be sold in strapped Monster Boxes only marking a change to previous ATB sales from Provident Metals.

Due to cosmetic complaints and numerous returns from collectors of the series, 2014 versions and all future releases in the popular program will be sold strictly in 500 oz increments, and only in strapped Monster Boxes directly from the U.S. Mint. To be clear, America the Beautiful 5-oz silver coins will no longer be sold separately as single coins and returns will not be accepted as to maintain mint-fresh quality.

Provident Metals received the ATB coins from the US Mint in poor quality, and processed an unacceptable number of returns, which diminishes our ability to offer the highest quality products at the most affordable price.

This year's reverse designs feature the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Shenandoah National Park, Arches National Park, Great Sand Dune National Park and the Everglades National Park. Each obverse will continue to feature George Washington's 1932 portrait as designed by John Flanagan.

The America the Beautiful series depicts a rich mix of historic landscapes and significant people in the United States. Each reverse design will showcase a national park or national treasure deserving of recognition.

Our customers deserve the best quality of products and we hope you understand why this adjustment in sales of the ATB series was necessary."

7. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

Ok just notice Provident Metals is selling single ATBs again, but with a "warning note" now...

Link: http://www.blog.providentmetals.com/featured-products/single-atbs-now-available.htm

"We've heard your feedback, and as a result of customer demand, Provident Metals will again offer individual America the Beautiful 5 oz Silver coins.

At the beginning of the month, we made the difficult decision to switch to sealed monster boxes only to guarantee that collectors were getting mint-fresh quality. However, it has become clear that many of our customers prefer individual coins despite the poor quality of several of the designs.

We stand by our concerns with the series customers had complained of polish marks, rim dings, scratches, and other imperfections. Those blemishes may still appear on the single America the Beautiful coins offers by Provident Metals; we want to remind customers that they come to us that way from the U.S. Mint.

Since we're The People's Bullion Dealer and are happy to give you what you want, we will accept orders for individual ATB coins beginning with the Great Smoky Mountains 5 oz Silver America the Beautiful. Strapped monster boxes will also be available."

8. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

The 4 ungraded bullion ATB 5 oz coins I have, all have minor scratches or dings. As other members have already stated, these come from the Mint like this, generally.

Want high quality strikes?...get graded bullion coins. These tend to demand quite a high premium because the normal quality of these bullion coins is not so high.

9. Captain Kookaburra

Captain Kookaburra Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Another issue with ATB is that the way the tubes are placed in the box leaves the coins lying vertical and more likely to rub up and down during transport. With the one ounce coins the coins sit horizontally in the box.

10. mmissinglink

Those who are buying bullion coins for the bullion value shouldn't worry what condition the coins arrive in.

11. shinymetal

shinymetal Well-Known Member

Any time i've got half full tubes from PB they have always packed the top of the tube with something to stop the coins bouncing around.. seems like someone made a mistake in not doing that this time...
    However they are bullion coins well everything everyone else said..

12. ego2spare

ego2spare Well-Known Member

Yep, i got 3 ATB coin 2 days ago from perth bullion. They were in capsules but they still looked bad. the whole coin, 100% of it looks like brushed steel. With some scratches. Very very bad finish. Perth bullion just get them like that. But it sucks that u now have to buy your own capsules. I love these coins but it the P version was avalable in australia, i would buy those

13. mmissinglink

Are there no dealers there who stock the "P" version? That's a bit surprising because plenty of people outside the US seem to like the size, design, and vapor-blast finish....and of course the fact they they come in much better condition than the bullion version.

Or what about any friends you may have in the US who have bought the subscription for the "P" version? You can have them subscribe for you and send you a parcel with x number (the number of coins you want) of the "P" coins?

I'm thinking it shouldn't be very difficult to get the "P" version to you.

14. Scope

Scope New Member

Hmm... I'd rather buy bullion bars if I wanted bullion. These have very low mintage for a bullion coin and a lot of the older bullion ATB have appreciated in value. Wish I knew in advance.

I don't mind the "brushed" finish. Don't like the imperfections but I guess it can't be helped. One of the coins I received has a large scratch so I'm going to at least try and get that replaced.