Scrap Gold Buyback Prices - Dropping?

Discussion in 'Gold' started by goldenspike, Dec 12, 2016.

1. goldenspike

goldenspike Member

I havent sold any scrap gold for a while and went to see the prices at the usual gold buying houses. Some used to buyback at spot plus about 7%. The effect of the GST etc. Now I see gold is about AUD 50/gram and most gold buyers are advertising prices around $47 to $47.50 / gram which is about spot less 6%. So going from spot PLUS 7% to around spot LESS 6% is a 13% reduction in the buyback price of spot gold. Is there any reason for this? Curious to know why the sudden and dramatic change.

2. billybob888

billybob888 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Im not really into the scraping business, but why would anyone pay 7% over spot for scrap gold when most of the 9999 gold from bullion dealers are less than 7% over spot

3. goldenspike

goldenspike Member

Thanks Bullion Barron. I dont quite follow however. If the GST law remains unchanged, then the gold buyers will still be claiming their 10% input tax credit therefore the buyers have simply upped their profits by 13%? Or are the scrap gold buying companies no longer claiming a GST input credit even though the law entitles them to do so? It seems quite odd if the law says the gold buyers can claim a GST credit but the gold buyers would choose not to do so?

4. Gullintanni

Gullintanni Well-Known Member

Dealers buying gold for spot + 7%, i smell porkies and they always seem to be from members who have just a few posts.
    The only surprising aspect of your comment is that you did not claim to scrap 100k worth of gold each month, but i dare say that was coming:)

5. goldenspike

goldenspike Member

MAK Precious metals in Collins St Melbourne used to buyback scrap gold at about 7% above spot. They are now 6% under spot. W Davis is still advertising buying gold at about spot +2%.

6. ag_n_au_in_oz

ag_n_au_in_oz Member

W Davis gas been out of business for awhile now as far as I know

7. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The only reason a dealer now would pay above spot is because they plan to sell it as jewellery.

If a dealer tried to claim scrap lol, they would want to make sure it didn't run foul of ATO smell test and bulldozer.

8. betterlatethannever

betterlatethannever New Member

If you have some to move just offer it here.

Have an auction starting it at spot.

Merry Christmas :)

9. Gullintanni

Gullintanni Well-Known Member

But they would be after spot +7% JUST LIKE THE DEALERS apparently

10. Ipv6Ready

As long as there is a buyer and not claiming GST like the dealers not an issue :)

11. goldenspike

goldenspike Member

All this hubbub about the GST rip off of bullion being palmed off as scrap to attract the 10% GST input credit is nothing new. Here's an article I found from 2014 about GST on scrap/bullion. I guess something must have happened between now and July when I last sold scrap gold to the bullion dealers in the OP I mentioned who paid spot +7%.
    http://www.smh.com.au/national/rive...xpayers-an-estimated-200m-20140712-3btv8.html

12. goldenspike

goldenspike Member

I dont know about that. Buy $100 worth of scrap gold for $107, receive your 10% lawful tax credit thus in reality you get $110 for the scrap gold and you have made a $3 profit or 3%. Governments and big corporations are masters of manipulating a system (a system they actual rig in favour of themselves as they write the laws) but when others lawfully use the laws available for their own gain suddenly you get the AFP/ATO involved simply because these powers that be "dont like it". Well if these powers dont like it, they can go to their political masters and have the law changed. Till then I see no reason why a person buying scrap gold and operating within the law has anything to fear. Palming off bullion as scrap on the other hand is of course tax fraud and is not what Im referring to here.

13. Ipv6Ready

The powers that be don't like it. Basically because dealers were rooting system.
    Basically buying pure gold bullion at 3% premium, scrapping it and pocketing the gst refund.
    100% with you, Do it legitimately, document it, alll good. Do it like a crook and get burnt.