Scarce Lunar silver coin - lowest price in U.S.

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by mmissinglink, Nov 21, 2013.

1. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

2. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's still twice spot! Doubt if you'll get a decent ROI should silver hit $36+

3. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

1 It's a wrabbit - so No love for them in general
    2 it's 10kg :rolleyes:

4. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

It's out of stock now, guess it has been sold at that demanded twice spot.
    I paid 11,000 euro for mine in 2011 when spot was $32. Was still cheaper than the other weights of the series though. My most expensive one, the 5 oz, came down to a spot $50 equivalent.
    I wonder what mine will sell for in some future. There aren't many of them (according to that Apmex page, 178, but it's probably due to lack of demand rather than limited mintage, so may need alot luck to find interest at that price to spot level.

5. Pirocco

Why would a company not try to sell a product? In the end, it's just an item in the database, so 'disabling' / whatever appears useless to me, and the coin having been sold appears more plausible to me.
    Back in 2011, when spot was $32, this 10 kilo coin was not extremely expensive at 11,000. A 'normal' kilocoin costed then also 950; so 10 of them giving 9,500. Later on, when price rose to $40-50 and hung for months on $39, the kilocoins costed even way more, and people paid for them (not me though haha).
    So your +50% is likely todays case. It's rather expectable seeing the Mint applying such a premium, in the end, the profit that a company makes is an amount dollars and if the spot price drops, at a same % that amount drops too, which they try to compensate with higher %.
    And I have liquidity enough in coins, in fact I started to buy kilocoins because I could swim in the 1oz small silver change haha. The 10 kilo lunar I saw more as a wannahave combined with all other lunar rabbit weight versions, a kinda 'full series', and maybe as extra this delivering an extra value.
    Numismatic is not within my interest, I just buy the coin designs I like, without starting to pay geeky premiums. Although seen from today, with my $30 average, what I paid comes down to geeky premiums anyway.

6. Golden

Golden Member

I had an offer for 10kg Dragon at spot and refused it. Too big and clumsy.

7. Pirocco

Some stack 1000 ouncer bars. That's 3 times the weight of such a 10 kilo coin. It's also the standard size on the silver market, by far the most occurring kind. Or take that also standard monsterbox of 500 coins. It's also alot handled (if not mostly) in one piece, and it weights 15 kilo. So no, I don't get those 'clumsy' and 'too big' arguments against a 10 kilo coin, especially in a bigger stack, just like a thicker wallet also has various nominations of banknotes and coins.

8. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

:eek: