Scam or innocent mistake?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Bobby Woodlawn, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Bobby Woodlawn

Bobby Woodlawn New Member

I have a situation that I am unsure about. A seller, that I have dealt with and been satisfied by, sent me an email for a kilo round, $1.49 over SPOT. I bought the item. The math didn't seem perfect but I know many places where you can't advertise a low price, so it is changed at the shopping cart. When I got the confirming email, I put the numbers into excel. Rather than SPOT + $1.49, it came out to SPOT +$4.89! That is a profound discrepancy on a 32 Ozt purchase. I called last night, but it was after business hours. I called again this AM, and after a reasonable wait, talked with a helpful fellow who said, after having me on hold 3 or 4 minutes, that they would honor the price in the email. I said, not wanting to be accusatory while things were going so swimmingly: "Let's attribute it to IT not knowing what Marketing is doing." I don't know if I was the only one to buy or the only one to notice. The price was unchanged on the web page. I can't imagine that people making that kind of buy are not 'Penny Wise'.
    Did a catch a swindle before it executed or did they make an honest mistake? I have purposefully omitted the Seller and the Item (perhaps exclusivity)

Thanks from the new guy.

2. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Should always give them the benefit of the doubt.

Unless they pull the same thing on you the next time around!

3. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Errors can happen,
    If they fixed it likely just that

4. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

As the wise George Bush once said:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjmjqlOPd6A[/youtube]

I think it equally applies to this situation.

5. Bobby Woodlawn

I received my Perth 2011 Year of the Rabbit today...(They took two weeks off for Christmas & New Year's, though I did get an email on the 27th, letting me know they got my money order.) It came very well packaged. The coin is flawless. I could live without the Queen's mug on it, but that is the price of admission. My wife was born in the year of the Rabbit. This was really for her; she opened the package and loved it. I am satisfied with the operation. I will do business with them again. It pays to be on the email list. I also have them 'friended' on Facebook to get the inside deals. -BW

6. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

In the end of the day its good to hear your happy with what you have bought

7. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

I was happy with my kilo Rabbits too in 2011.
    Only that they costed me well over 900 euro's instead of the current kilocoin price 560. I surely gave some a fat profit haha.

8. DanielM

That's all part of the game mate. No one can say for certain that 12 months down the track you will be able to sell for 300 euro or 1300 euro

9. Badlye

Badlye New Member

Good to hear it all worked out for you bobby, this along with my thread should be good warning to others who are new to the online purchasing game. Always read the terms and conditions and always double check your invoice and quotes.

Above all do not mess your order up, triple check before you press order button. A cancelled order could cost you 95 dollars as I have found, regardless of how quickly you cancel or how small the order is.

10. DanielM

Dude seriously, I bit my tongue in the other thread, but seriously you are in the wrong on your purchase, making ANOTHER new order with a little note attached does not count as canceling a previous order. What you should have done is contacted them straight away before placing the second order. If the $95 fee is because they are out of pocket due to hedging YOUR first order than I think it is fine. I've heard ice blue and gold Pellican talking about people placing orders that are hedged then people for whatever reason(there's usually only one) cancel, then spot falls creating a loss for the dealer, YOUR mistake is not fair on them if they have to pay

11. Badlye

Badlye New Member

Mate there is no way they are at lose.
    95 dollars is just ridiculously. Why is writing a note on an order not ok, should they not read the note on your order? Do I have have to fly to them and formally cancel the order?

12. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Suffer in your jocks.

13. DanielM

No you should contact them because you know they are aware of the situation and you give them the opportunity to correctly hedge. With this lovely automated world we are building they mightn't see it especially over the recent holiday period, but had you contacted them via email or phone(as opposed to your smars arsed flight) you would have been more likely to bring it to their attention and might have lessened the blow to them and subsequently to yourself. But either way I'm not to sure where I stand on the second order, it is a separate contract to the first one and should be sent

14. Au-mageddon

Au-mageddon Active Member

Just one thing to remember Badlye, the more you prattle on about this, the more SS members' black books you are getting yourself listed in.

Sorry if you dont want to hear it but sounds like u turtled up - if its something important you pick up the phone, not rely on an email.

I have also had a bad experience with a WA dealer, and after trying to resolve the issue on the phone and receiving terrible customer service from the manager I cancelled my account. Needless to say I will not use them ever again, nor will I recommend them to other members.

However there are some fantastic traders here - I have personally dealt with many of them over the past few years and found they will bend over backwards to accomodate your requests/changes where they can!

If you dont like the way you have been treated, then simply find another company to deal with .. nuff said.

15. Badlye

Badlye New Member

So it seems on this site people have a habit of reading small amounts of someone's comment or a tiny portion of a thread, then writing a long winded incorrect and totally obscured reply. As I have mentioned I tried many times calling them, they did not advertise the fact that they are on holiday and to my best knowledge they are not. I've already mentioned the fact that I have paid said fine and will not return so that part of your comment is also redundant. I'm starting to think that perhaps this community is simple

I created my thread as a warning to other newbies not to make the same mistake, as for getting myself into ss members black books haha I couldn't care less. I have no intention in swapping or trading PM's on this site and I have great relationships with many real life dealers.

16. Badlye

Badlye New Member

The idiocy of your comments often surprises me! Until recently I noticed that your location is central Victoria, some incredibly intelligent people in that part of the world, you must fit right in.

17. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

Probably at best the same of today. Without general prices doubling or so, noone will pay again twice todays price, because they now know that the higher part of the price is just someone1 elses profit instead of an inflation hedge.
    And even in case, I don't like doing the same, being selling something that later halves in price. Maybe back to the same that sold to me, but they'll surely refuse haha, and dealers surely set their spread sell-buyback big enough, and act/hedge fast enough, to give their customers little chance. And then the tax part. No, I'm quite certain, I'm one of those that wasted half their savings in this speedfrontrun money for nothing game.
    I suffered the same loss as a general prices doubling while having a bank deposit that just stays, the very reason I swapped to silver.
    All I can do now, is continue buying silver with new earnings, trying to target/time the multiyear bottom prices, as to average down as much as I can.
    Even if we see general inflation, I'll still have lost the purchasing power I once produced and stored, since if both silver and the goodies I want double, the loss just stays.
    That's just how it is. I also see this from another perspective though: imagine I had stayed with a bank account, and also wouldn't have bought silver now (considering the price swings and the less risk than past years appearance of banks nowadays), it would just had come down to being able to over a decade again realize that prices rose X% while bank account half of it, so again a loss.
    There are some positive sides that stay though, with my money as silver coins, I'm now in control myself. Whatever state, banks and the rest of the parasiting crap does over the years to come. No dependency / reliance on them anymore. That was also a major reason for me, when I decided to swap the electronic figures for silver coins.

18. Bobby Woodlawn

I Never even thought to email them when the numbers didn't add up, possibly because I am 47, I called on the phone. I was glad I was notified that the call was being recorded. I am sure, when the rep realized someone in the Co. made a mistake, he listen to my call, that was detailed to three places past the decimal, and went with my (correct) numbers. I have no ill-will and will use them again. In fact I will recommend Provident. I wish I had gotten the guys name, he did the right thing.
    (BTW I got the 1Kg Rabbit, under $700US, you may now start hating me)