Saturday Night Competition!

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by honey stacker, Nov 3, 2012.

1. honey stacker

honey stacker New Member Silver Stacker

There is such a thing as too much of a good thing you know ;) besides the postage would have been a killer.

2. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

On a side note, there are apparently some atrocities carried out during WW2 that the War Crimes Tribunals could not prosecute the Germans for, because the Allies also committed the same crimes. The bombing of Dresden would fit into such a scenario, apparently atrocities committed by German U-boats is another, as the Allied submarines also committed similar crimes.

German political and military leaders were only committed to stand for trial if there was no evidence of similar behaviour by Allied commanders. The thinking goes along the lines of "If they did it AND we did it it's not a crime. If they did BUT we didn't, then it is a crime." I wonder what the outcome of a War Crimes Tribunal would be if it was Japan that dropped 2 nuclear bombs.

Can of worms?

3. honey stacker

That would have depended on whether the Japanese had won or not.

It's all pretty atrocious, you would think we would hurry up and evolve already.

4. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Outwitting an killing oneanother was a huge evolutionary driver.

5. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

No wonder we still keep doing it.

6. honey stacker

SC I think you are refering to natural selection to make bigger, stronger, smarter humans but we with OH&S and welfare we have stepped out of nature and human evolution. I think we are only evolving technologicaly now and as humans we have devolved if not stayed stagnant for a long time. For instance, if you look at this graph below you will see that at the moment human population is parabolic

[​IMG]

IMO this is running paralel with technology, farming practices, medicine (which hinders as well as heals), mining etc and oil. If for example we were to go into another dark age (or similar), the population would probably re-balance back to somewhere way back down and as a whole we would find that we hadn't come very far at all (possibly de-volved slightly into our technology). I have a theory that technology is so specialized that a lot of the more simple steps to get where we are could easily be forgotten.

I feel that even now the earth has the resources and space to support all life if we would evolve into a nicer people. It's not hard to do you just have to be nice and consider others when making basic decisions. Sadly I don't think the people who make the big decisions aren't very nice so we will just have to keep going until something changes because we didn't.