Russia - Nicholas II - Napoleon's Defeat(other Russian coin as well:))

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by Stark, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

Hello!

The more I look at the coin, the more I like it. Although I'm more fan of "simpler" (not too many details) coins, I believe this coin is becoming one of my favorites, despite it's price and rather small weight.

[​IMG]
    Source: http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces16517.html

I wonder if any of you have more info about it?

There are currently 2 on eBay. 1912 releases of course. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Russia-Rouble-Nicholas-II-1912-Napoleon-Defeat-/161146523454?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item258514cf3e

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Russia-Ruble-1912-Centennial-Napoleon-s-Defeat-ICG-AU55-/221313839674?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item338755323a&autorefresh=true

Maybe ungraded actually looks better. :)

I would appreciate any info.

Thanks!

BR

2. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Stark, what about this one. Pennies for you Mr. Big Bucks!!

http://www.gainesvillecoins.com/products/165763/1993-equatorial-guinea-1-oz-gold-bull-elephant.aspx

3. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Double headed eagles and funny writing always makes for an interesting coin.

Looks very cluttered but I can see the attraction!

4. Stark

Hahaha. Too cheap. ;) I like reverse, but obverse could be better for such expensive coin. :p

Oh, let there be no doubt. I don't own the coin. :) Unfortunately. :/ :D

Yeah, there's a lot of details for that size of coin. :)

Ungraded version looks nicer for me that big picture posted above.

Here are two more. Both are very "cheap" of course. I could make new topic, but I rather renamed the current one. Now I know how could spend all money if I win lottery or become very reach. :)
    It nice to dream... and not good to spend all money to "contemporary" coins... :)

- Russia Commemorative 1 Rouble Ruble 1912 (price is killer; ducks are kinda amusing :))
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Source: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Russia-Russland-Commemorative-1-Rouble-Ruble-1912-Silver-R-/300987348555?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item46143e764b

- Cathedral of Christ the Saviour in Moscow 1883 (a lot of details as well, but great medal:))
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Source: http://www.ebay.com/itm/110864764887?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649&autorefresh=true

5. Stark

6. Argentum

Argentum Well-Known Member

get their really rare platinum coins i think its 3 6 and 12 roubles, i think they were the first platinum coins used anywhere, very expensive

7. Stark

Palladium or platinum? :)

I like above coins also because of their historical meaning. All are too expensive for me. Except maybe one medal I've found and isn't posted here yet, but dunno if it's worth the price.

Would need to find some expert for Russian numis. :)

8. Argentum

Argentum Well-Known Member

platinum, here is an example on ebay:

in regards to expert just get the krausse catalogs i have 1800-1900 an the 1900-2000 all in there

9. Stark

Thanks for sharing. Not so impressive as some of the above, but will add it to my "dream list". :)

Need to get me Krausse catalogs. :)

10. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

Russian Empire, German states, Switzerland have one of the best looking coins that were minted in 19-early 20 centuries.

11. Byron

Byron Guest

Do you know the story of Christ the Saviour cathedral in Moscow?

It was a pravoslavni cathedral built to commemorate napoleons retreat in the 1800s. It was demolished on Stalin's orders in the 1930s anti religion push. The dome contained 20 tons of gold!!!

In 2000 it was rebuilt and is the worlds tallest Orthodox Church.

12. Stark

Yes. Stalin was never big "fan" of religion. :)

I watched one documentary long time ago about WWII. When Germans were very close to the Moscow (I think they already saw some buildings) Stalin ordered a plane to circle around Moscow. On that plane was statue of Maria (I think). I think that some "archbishop"/patriarch told him to do that. But I'm not sure completely.

13. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

20 tons of gold...imagine how many flatpack Soviet apartment buildings and bolt action rifles that paid for in the 1930s.

14. worldbubble

1. When Stalin was sixteen, he received a scholarship to attend the Georgian Orthodox Tiflis Spiritual Seminary in Tbilisi.

2. As of the second part of your post - you are right, but it was not a statue but icon

3. Communism was another religion ;)

15. Stark

Oh, didn't know that. :) Guess he started to hate it later on. :)

It's true, but most "classical" religions survived for longer time period. :p We will see. :)

16. Byron

Byron Guest

Maybe an Icon of the Virgin as statues are not very common in Orthodoxy. cool story though, ill see if i can find out more about it.

17. Byron

Byron Guest

The Church was an easy (and wealthy) target for Stalin and his gang of thugs. It was a strong link to the Monarchy/Czars too and Russian self-identity.

Typical leftist tactic of trying to destroy an existing pillar of society. Same thing has happened here but gradually, over time.

18. worldbubble

1. there were very strong links between church and emperor in Russia
    2. people believed that church acted not like church should've but like follower of emperor's orders
    3. people were not happy with emperor way of ruling the country
    4. even though most of the people were Christians, by the 1917 more and more people in the army stopped praying and associate themselves with Church. At the time communists were minority!
    5. revolution followed soon after.
    6. new religion called communism was born.

People who satisfied with church never destroy one ... if they do it then there're reasons ... calling them thugs or gang is not smart. BTW currently in Russia one can notice the same kind of dissatisfaction in Church.

19. Byron

Byron Guest

Historically and going back to Byzantium, Orthodoxy has strong links to the state. Nothing wrong with that imo.

Stalin's actions were absolutely criminal, confiscating private property, executing, torturing and imprisoning 000s of clergy, destroying houses of worship, forbidding people from practising their faith etc

Also can you elaborate on the dissatisfaction with the church in Russia today (other than the view of a minority that it is closely aligned to Putin). Its revival since the end of communism has been phenomenal.

20. worldbubble

1st. what is definition of criminal? Give definition and we will talk about it later ... so far you are not right.
    2. people discussing how bad is the church (taking money for anything, and any service), acts of priests, as result less and less people attending the church ceremonies ... currently as far as I can remember about 3 mil people do it (the most recent poll) ...
    BTW, above mentioned church acts more like a company not a sacral place: in the area of church people can rent the place and make a party - how does it sounds?