Royal Mint releases first 100 for 100 coin

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by AgAuNEWS, Dec 29, 2014.

1. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

2. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Something tells me this will be a big hit...

3. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

50k mintage, S$200 for 2oz silver @ bullion quality.

I'll take my chances with 3x 2oz Lunars thanks.

4. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There's a scam in here somewhere. 100=$167, for 2oz silver. Still you have face value. No, better off sticking to 500 notes under the mattress.

5. motorbikez

motorbikez Member Silver Stacker

I've just ordered one, no scam it has a face value of 100 its a win win if you don't like it or are desperate for cash, cash it in at a bank for 100 of fiat.

As a collector I love the 2oz coins & I think it will do well over time if it doesn't I'm not bothered I like the size of 2oz coins and it is the 1st British silver 2ozer of recent times ,50,000 world wide mintage will help it as well.

6. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

How have the other face value coins been doing?

7. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

Doing great! My local dealer was so happy when I traded my maple for CAD $50! :lol:

[​IMG]

8. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

Haha if you have any more of those worthless $50 coins taking up space I'll take them. Even giving $60 a piece for the hassle!

9. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

no more $50 coins, but a friend of mine tried to cash in his coin at the bank and was nicely rejected.
    I think the bank might not have enough small change.

this is my friend, on his way to the bank... :lol: :lol: :lol:

[​IMG]

10. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

If the RM stamped 2,000 on a 2 oz coin, would you think 2,000 is a good price for this coin and would you pay it?

Personally, I never went for that X for Y gimmick that the RCM so desperately wants us to go for....and I won't fall for it with this RM product either.

I will pay handsomely for a 2 oz silver coin, but not something like the X for Y one. RM, give us a low mintage 2014 2 oz proof silver Britannia and I'd pay a good sum for it....not for this X for Y coin.

11. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

:rolleyes:
    That's because your friend placed the coin with the old battle axe facing up
    No wander the bank teller wouldn't take
    I feel sorry for the bank teller :lol: :lol: :lol:

12. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

But if you are in the UK a 100 pound 2 oz silver coin for 100 pounds is a good deal to a coin collector. As said by another member you can go and cash it in at a bank for its 100 pound cost and face value any time.

A 50k mintage of any silver coin mintage with big Ben on it would be a winner.

I would also buy a $200 2 oz silver RCM coin for $200 as well as this coin because I cant see silver reaching $100 an oz in my lifetime. :)

13. Andy28

Andy28 Well-Known Member

I like the concept / idea. I have the 20 pound varieties as I had a friend living over there. Don't think I would spend the extra for shipping to Australia, plus bank conversion fees etc. If it was easier to get here at face value, or If i lived in the UK, I would definitely buy a couple.

14. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have the first couple of years' worth of the Canadian $20 for $20 and the first two of the 20 for 20 but I think I will give the 100 for 100 a miss.

If I had 100 in paper sitting in my safe I would be happy enough to swap it for 100 face value in coins.

Due to inflation the face value would be worth less each year and you wouldn't be earning any interest on the money, you would be pinning all your hopes on 100/oz silver or the first coin becoming highly sought after. Sure in 20 years you could cash it in and get your 100 back but by then it will only get you about 50 worth of goods.

Mind you, if they bring the same thing out in Australia I would get a couple.

15. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

1) Why on earth would someone want to buy a coin that has a face value of 100 pounds just so you can trade it in to get 100 pounds fiat ???

2) 50K mintage is not a low mintage for a coin with a high price tag. Want a low mintage coin...there are enough modern silver coins around with a mintage of below 1,000 mintage.

3) If you believe silver will be reaching $100/oz, then you are pricing this coin's value in the metal content and you'd be much better off buying silver coins much closer to the current spot. You could buy at least 5 popular 1 oz silver coins for the same price as this 2 oz coin instead and then if silver shoots to the moon as you believe it will, you would have at least double if not triple the value than you would were you to buy this 50,000 mintage coin.

Just sayin'.

16. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

Not sure about the rest of you, but to me slapping a $100 dollar value on a $30 worth of metal is the same as printing $100 dollar value on a $0.50 paper note.

And for those who are on the edge of getting this 100 coin, you might want to consider getting 5x 20 for 20 which net you 2.5oz worth of silver. You get to convert your fiat to silver and you get more silver.

17. Sully

Sully Member

did anyone else notice the dollar prices across the whole RM site tonight?
    all coins have "$" instead of ""
    worked right the way through for me to checkout.
    tempting, for sure, but i'm certain the card would be charged in anyway :D
    nice try, RM, to lure me into buying a suitcase full of silver & gold coins! entrapment :p

[​IMG]

18. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

Try reading my post you quoted again taking special note of this bit! " I cant see silver reaching $100 an oz in my lifetime." smile

So you dont accept fiat for anything? You wouldnt swap a damaged $100 note for a new $100 note? you wouldnt accept a legal tender $100 silver coin in place of a paper $100 note?

19. Andy28

Andy28 Well-Known Member

limited downside, you would think in X amount of years the collector value of it would at least rise with inflation.

20. mafya

mafya New Member

I have ordered 10 of these 100 coins today, one is for the Mrs who just wants one and the rest are going in the safe.
    If they don't sell out and start attracting any premium then they will stay in the safe just the same way the fiat used to buy them was or I could just get my face value back.
    You have to speculate to accumulate as the saying goes......:)