results vaccum sealing

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by barsenault, Jan 19, 2015.

1. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

I found this article interesting. Does anyone else have some test results? Any reccommendtions on where to purchase? What is the best? Maybe it is different vs coin with capsule vs. direct on coin? Anyone have some history to show us? Does anyone vaccum seal perth mint rolls? Examples? Sorry for all the questions. I'm doing research into whether I want to do this for my stack.

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=14446

more info.

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=154737

2. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What I've seen some German Ebay sellers do is to vacuum seal the coins (in their original capsule) in an ziplock-material bag.

From the links you posted, it seems that in the experiment the coins were in direct contact with the plastic. The material could have reacted with the coins.

It might have made a difference if the coin was in an original capsule (e.g. Perth Mint lunars) and then subsequently vacuum-sealed.

3. barsenault

Altima do you vaccum seal? Or not worried about it?

4. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

I'm interested in this aswell. I thought about this for a few of my nicer coins. Perhaps keeping them in thier capsuls and then vaccum sealing. I have a roll of maples and pandas I've thought about sealing also.

5. Kam

Kam Active Member Silver Stacker

6. barsenault

Walmart has a lot of them. Here is one such example I'm thinking of buying. I'm definitely buying one, no question. Doesn't need to cost a fortune. If anyone has a good experience with one let us know. Here is a youtuber who did it. Looks good to me. Food grade sealer bags must be PVC free...and these are BHA free too...My plan is to seal all my goods, and then put them in the coin armour bag, then insite airt tite containers, then put in moisture and air absorbers (already have all this stuff). I think I'll have the fort knox of protection. LOL.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/FoodSaver-V3230/17481610

http://www.walmart.com/ip/FoodSaver-8-x-20-Vacuum-Sealing-Roll/14320826

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUyXNojJFcM[/youtube]

7. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

8. barsenault

that link chipmunk looks like a lot gibberish. I needed practical answers and discussion. LOL. Not who owns some secret receipe for protection, etc...we need real life answers. hence the start of this thread.

9. Golden ChipMunk

I have spoken, I stated Polyethylene is NOT safe.
    Enough Said.

10. barsenault

LOL. Thanks Chip. Just having fun. I know there was some dialogue between you and holdfast, and I gave up on that discussion. What you just stated is simple enough. that's my kind of discussio. Straight forward and simple. Thanks. I don't know that these food saver bags are polyethylene...but I'll find out. Oh, and all mine are in capsules, and you stated that if in capsules, then do the vaccum, we are okay, or did I not read that correctly in your other thread. :D

11. Golden ChipMunk

Yes, They are made from Food Grade Polyethylene. To save you from the trouble of finding out.
    Please do not direct contact to the metals. Sealed over capsules should be fine. Does that make any sense?

12. barsenault

clear as day. That is all i have. Coins in capsules, and many with the perth mint wrap....and those that in are capsule (not in perth roll), put them in the tubes, with the red cap (hope these are made with safe material - I buy them from coin stores)...and I'll do the vaccum dealing around the perth rolls and around the tubes with red caps and around my graded coins and medals - say my prayers. LOL. Thanks for the help. Bottom line, don't vaccum seal direct to coin or medal (as my link indicates above). Thanks chipmunk.

13. Golden ChipMunk

Don't forget, All Plastics do have shelf life span, they will break down eventually at given time.

The sign is that they will go brittle. hint

14. barsenault

Thanks again Chip...I'll vaccum seal at the same time, and then replace accordingly. I'll keep an eye on it. Hopefully it is at least a year or 2, because this won't be a short process for me. LOL. I have lots of sealing to do. :) maybe putting them in airtight containers, and having all the other protective measures I put inside the container, will give it a longer life. Fingers crossed, an prayers offered. Thanks again for your insight. Take care.

15. Nabullion Dynamite

Coins that are just bare could you wrap in somekind of paper and then seal them so they are not touching the plastic directly?

16. barsenault

why not just buy capsuals for like .50? :)

17. Golden ChipMunk

Make sure it is not bleached paper....

18. Nabullion Dynamite

Haha just was just wondering, I have everything but generics and bars in capsuls :p No bleached paper...guess that makes sense!

19. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

While I do think it helps in terms of protection from damaging elements found in the air, to seal collector coins, and I personally try to place my coins and medals in capsules before individually sealing them in non-PVC plastic, I see two potential problems with vacuum sealing coins in large sheets:
    1) difficult to store and stack in comparison to individually sealing coins and stacking / storing
    2) if you ever plan on selling just one or a few coins from that sealed pack, you will have to spend time and money re-sealing the coins not sold. Individually sealing coins doesn't get you that problem

Granted, these may not be big problems to some, but for others, the first problem might be.

20. barsenault

Hey Missing, great feedback. Hope you are well my friend. Hope the New Year is treating you well. I thought the same things you did. The answers I've come up with is.

1. I would seal them the way I stack now. I put 5 rolls in the magazine coin armour bags, and seal it (not vacuum seal). What I'll do now is vacuum seal each roll or try to vacuum seal multiple rolls, and put them inside the coin armour bags with some moisture absorbers - taking no chances. LOL.

2. if there is enough space betwen the coins and rolls, you can cut out each one, I think? Or if you cut one out does the seal get lost around all the coins? That really is a moot point for me, as I'll only be vacuum sealing rolls. I may vacuum seal all my graded coins, however, but technically I wonder if one can just vacuum seal each one by itself by only using enough of the food saver material to vacuum one at a time...I don't see why not.

These are pretty cheap...40 bucks at Walmart...and the rolls of like 20 feet of this stuff is 9.00. Seems like an inexpensive proposition to hopefully help with this issue? Heck you could technically sell them with the vacuum still in place. :)