Replica Aussie shillings, florins, crowns etc

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by SilverSanchez, Oct 31, 2011.

1. SilverSanchez

SilverSanchez Active Member

What is the chances that these replicas will be passed off as authentic,

What are some ways that I can protect myself against shams?
    I am thinking about avoiding numismatics in general, because seller may not even know a coin is a replica....

2. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

100% chance that someone will give it a go. I don't understand the desire for replicas.

3. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Most of the replicas I've seen have been for key dates, e.g. Melbourne Centenary, or early 1930s.

Generally if you're buying bulk predecimal for silver content it's not an issue, but certainly an issue for the numismatist. For example, item 160673246738 on eBay right now is for an "unmarked replica" of a 1936 florin - could be genuine, could be a fake. Looks legitimate, except for what could be a casting artefact on the rim on the obverse at 4 o'clock.

Replicas are explicitly banned for sale through this forum.

4. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Very likely, they already are.

In America they have the "Hobby Protection Act" which requires that all copies have the word "COPY" stamped onto them. there is nothing like that in Australia. It is perfectly legal to make and sell replicas without marking them in anyway.

The only way to avoid them is to educate yourself, numismatics can make you a lot of money but you don't get it for nothing, you have to study it and you also have to live and breath it if you want to start making investments in it.

I have a very nice copy of a 3p overdate and one of the 1930 Penny, both given to me as examples to take to the coin club. No one in the club was fooled but they all agreed that if you didn't know what you were doing you could be in trouble. The penny was a little light.

The main problem is that the copies are not of uncirculated coins, these were copies were made from circulated coins and artifically toned. They were made in Australia though!

The only reason most people have replicas is to fill a gap in the album that will never be filled otherwise. Having a complete set of pennies with a blank space at 1930 would probably be depressing for some people.

I am looking for one of those penny stretchers, I think it would be great to stretch a couple of replica 1930s and give them to coin collectors, that should cause some angst!

Speaking of which a member brought in a clock from a jewellers, it was a combined clock / photoframe.

The face of the clock was an old predecimal penny, plated silver and then drilled for the clock mechanism. They make hundreds of them but this one in particular had a hard to find 1946 penny as the donor coin. Worth far more without the clock and photoframe.

5. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Its funny how they copy the most common and least expensive KG V Florin.. these things sell for spot.. i got one yesterday (1936 florin) for $9.50 including postage on ebay. (no Joke!) UNDER SPOT!

I have scored these in VF for 15% over spot due to the fact its a common date.. good for newbs wanting a decent KGV specimen.

If your gonna go to the trouble of committing fraud why not choose the 1933 florin or something that is scarce that people will be wanting to fil a whole in the album with, could be like not counterfieting $100 dollar notes to avoid the added risk of a high value note.. the 1936 is like copying the 5'er..

People want these fakes to complete there album/folder sets.. well thats the ONLY reason id want a fake.

1for1