Remember that bargain!

Discussion in 'Silver' started by longtime silver believer, May 23, 2014.

1. longtime silver believer

longtime silver believer New Member

Just looking back to purchases I made over the last 12 months and reading many posts from fellow silver stackers. We all liked buying when prices fell after the big silver and gold rally. We liked backing up the truck. We loved to bragg when we picked up a bargain. But my bargains are now in hindsight , expensive purchases. Is anyone still buying like there is no tomorrow or are you putting your silver in storage ,taking some" Panadol" and going back to normal life with a new found respect for fiat currency?

2. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I hear ya! Was feeling pretty clever buying up gold at $1500. There's was no way it was going down further from there :rolleyes:

They say the best deals are the ones you're prepared to walk away from.

3. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I remember picking up some RAM Kangaroos for spot!

Of course, spot at that time was $50.

They had always been $50, but when spot was $20 there was no way I was going to pay that premium.

They are still selling on ebay for anything between $40 and $55, but I wouldn't pay that premium :)

4. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I remember you well longtime silver believer, and your concern that you might have missed the peak of yet another bull market in silver. Also remember the dismissive remarks of some here and I think I said something reassuring. Well many of us have been ground down now and how right you were to have basic doubts. I still think we'll have another big run but that's not worth much

5. tolly_67

tolly_67 Well-Known Member

In response to dollar cost averaging.....I am not so sure if this is such a good think...still thinking about it.
    As for bargains.....they have not returned even at this price.
    I picked up 1 ounce lunar horse under spot many years ago, in fact at worst you paid spot.
    Where are those days.

6. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

I have sold at least 50 % of what I have bought since price drop ... made money on 99% of what I have sold ... the rest losers I keep :D

7. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If I could I would have not bought any low premium bullion and stuck to semi-numis or numismatics.

8. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

when silver will be $100 you will tell you`d better bought bullion )))

diversify!

9. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Have a read of WRCMAD's post on DCA here to see if it enlightens you any further.

I started stacking when gold was $1,700+ but the little newby voice in my head said not to buy because that's a lot of cash for something so useless. The same voice (sounded quite a lot like Mike Maloney's come to think of it) told me to buy all the silver I could as $26-28/oz was a bargain :lol: Haven't fared too bad so far after a few profitable flips took my CA down nicely.

Do remember paying $390 for some Stackers though as that was the going price at the time due to spot and ceased production. Ah well.

10. tolly_67

tolly_67 Well-Known Member

Yes WRCMAD sums it up nicely. It is all psychological in the end.
    Thank you for the link.
    I had a good bargain on a 10 ounce Perth mint bar on ebay, ebay gave a 10 % discount on the purchase so I got it for under 200 bucks..
    Ohh and the old guy at the coin fair who sold me a 2 ounce kook at $15.... I think he needed to buy new reading glasses.

11. clear

clear Well-Known Member

Bringing down your average cost per unit is fine but you don't have to keep buying every time the price falls to get a better average cost.

Nothing wrong with (timing your sale) selling into falling market, take a loss and take the cash (assuming you didn't borrow) and you can buy later,

you don't necessarily need to keep buying more to win.

The bullshit Dollar Cost Averaging statement (Financial Planners and Stock Brokers use this cliche way to often) has cost many people dearly

anyway do whatever works for you.

12. Ouija

Ouija New Member

Although I have followed the metals market for years, I only started my real physical stacking a few months ago. I bought a lot of Eagles and Maples when the spot was $20.23. Now that the price has fallen to $19.44, I am already freaking out. How could I have been so foolish - my investment has already lost value in just a few months!!

But then I remember: I didn't make my purchase with the thought of one day exchanging it for even more fake fiat. I bought it, so that I can eventually trade it for real things, from motivated sellers, who are also nervous about the future value of their fiat currency.

Disciplined stacking serves several objectives: Savings / Investment / Insurance. Besides these tangible and measurable benefits, there are also the intangible benefits: Security, Peace of Mind, and Hope for the future.

I am actually lucky that I did not have the money to invest, when silver was at it's peak. Now I feel confident investing on a regular basis, as I believe that these prices are about as low as they're going to get. The price might drop another dollar or two in the short term, but that will only be a brief dip, as the bargain hunters will quickly bid the price back up to a new "normal" level, which will probably be a couple bucks higher than it is now.

But for me, the fiat value is not really relevent - it's the actual future "purchasing power" of the silver that will motivate me to continue stacking for as long as the price looks like a real bargain.

13. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

PM silver crocodile will always be hungry, since the mouth is wide open and ready. :)

14. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

Silver is a tomorrow.
    Buying at higher prices can be corrected by further buying at lower prices.
    I always respected fiat currency.
    I don't respect those that devaluate it systematically. Thieves don't deserve respect. They deserve countermeasures, and silver is such one.
    If you define a normal life as saving in fiatcurrency, then you must be a willing slave. Good luck with that.

15. BeHereNow

BeHereNow New Member

Uncle Slave is not going to get me!
    [img=FluxBB bbcode test]https://silvergoldbull.com/media/products/3075/tn-3075-m.png[/img]

Fiat for the bills, silver for the future.