Relationship between gold stocks, SPX and gold price

Discussion in 'Stocks & Derivatives' started by LovingtheSilver, Mar 5, 2011.

1. LovingtheSilver

LovingtheSilver Active Member Silver Stacker

Article from 24hgold:

http://www.24hgold.com/english/news...redirect=false&contributor=adam+hamilton&mk=1

"The bottom line is precious-metals stocks follow the general stock markets during material selloffs. Even though gold is their primary driver most of the time, they decouple from this metal and glom on to the stock markets during pullbacks and corrections. If both the stock markets and gold are weak, the PM stocks plunge far more than either. And even if gold is strong, PM stocks are torn and seriously underperform.
    The bearish psychology sparked by stock-market selloffs is so powerful that it permeates all markets, including PM stocks. I'm not thrilled with this correlation, but it is well-established hard reality. PM-stock traders have proven over and over again that they can't ignore a stock-market selloff even when gold is strong. So traders really need to be wary of gold stocks when the stock markets face an imminent selloff."

LtS: Silver stocks over here seem to be doing very well, would've been good if he had a chart reflecting a silver index also. From my casual observations, ASX silver stocks tend to mirror silver price than corrections/selloffs recently.

2. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

I found the above article very interesting

"In light of this precedent, which extends back many years beyond the couple I've highlighted here, why take the risk of owning short-term PM-stock speculations if the probabilities favor an imminent general-stock selloff? For a variety of technical and sentimental reasons, a major SPX correction looms today. It may have already started! As a speculator I want high-probability-for-success trades, and the evidence is crystal-clear that no matter what gold does the PM stocks don't fare very well during SPX selloffs.