RCM - $200 for $200 Landscapes of the North Series

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by crutch024, Jul 16, 2014.

1. crutch024

crutch024 Member

I received an "advance notice" about a new series from the Royal Canadian Mint (I'm really not interested, but I thought I would pass on the info)......

The series is $200 for $200 Landscapes of the North. The first coin is called "Towering Forests" and it is a 2 ounce 9999 silver coin. Here is the email I got:

[​IMG]

Mintage: 20,000
    Composition: 99.99% pure silver
    Finish: Matte Proof
    Artist: Ellen Cowie (reverse) & Susanna Blunt (obverse)

2. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This is what I was worried about and has pretty much put paid to any thoughts of collecting the $50 for $50 series or the $100 for $100 series to 'complete' the $20 for $20 series I am putting together at the moment for a bit of fun.

If I had $200 in Canadian plastic hanging around I would take advantage of this but paying the foreign exchange rates, the Paypal fees, the postage fees and the dealer mark-ups it isn't really worth it.

I am still waiting for the Perth Mint to follow the Royal Canadian and Royal Mint and bring out their own $20 for $20 series.

Nice coin though, thanks for posting

3. lostwords

lostwords New Member

The $20 for $20 is what started me for collecting Silver and numismatic coin but it release too many in such a short period of time. Although it has a bit too much on this coin, I still like it and will buy it for my collection. Won't be easy for anyone trying to flip these because I don't think there's a big market for it. The 20000 mintage is good but still a bit much I think. The coin won't be ship until September

4. trav

trav Member

Apologies if this has been stated before, but it bears repeating in either case.

The reason there is a mintage limit (and a limit per customer) is not because they want it to become a valued coin. It is because they (governments) don't want to see this shit getting into general circulation because it is in a minor way would be the first step to alternate currencies.

If the equivalent in Aus ever comes out I'm buying as many as TPTB let me and going down to my local Coles or Woolies and spending the bastards straight away. No matter what the denomination is.

For one it will be probably rejected by the checkout chick initially, and then maybe the store manager. But any management higher than that will know better. Imagine the bad publicity on the store, along with awakening a few pissed off people waiting behind you who you try and calm down by saying "It's legal tender, they have to accept it, don't get angry at me get angry at the store".

Cheers