Random Date Panda coins on APMEX

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by silverbulldog, Apr 23, 2012.

1. silverbulldog

silverbulldog New Member

Hi Guys,

First post here but i have been lurking and buying up coins and bullion lately.

I have a few graded Panda's but i noticed APMEX has random year 1 oz Silver Pandas out of the OMP selling for $41/each...which seems like a good price but they also say they might have minor flaws..not scuffed but minor flaws...

my question is what are your thoughts on buying these? are they a good deal or bad deal because of the condition..I am guessing they will send common dates anyways but i still want to grab a couple just for the hell of it...a couple bucks here or there does not mean much to me but i want to get your thoughts?

Silverbulldog

2. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

OK, if you never plan on grading them I guess.....

3. silverbulldog

silverbulldog New Member

Yeah i don't plan on getting them graded unless they end up being in better condition then i expected..i just ordered 5 so we will see how they come and then decide whether to invest more or not.

Silverbulldog

4. silverbulldog

silverbulldog New Member

15 views and only 1 reply..common guys is anyone out there..shed some light on if you think this is a decent deal or garbage..whatever opinion you have is fine i would like to hear some though

5. ironwood

ironwood Active Member Silver Stacker

I'm here but have no opinion or sense to tell you anything but sounds a little high for bullion with spot where it is. :D

6. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

Too expensive for bullion, and you can be pretty sure that APMEX won't be selling quality numismatics for $41

7. silverbulldog

silverbulldog New Member

so your opinion is that the cost is a little high for bullion...They are coins not bullion but i collect both. I guess due to the fact they are not in mint condition you could strictly look at the spot price..i was looking beyond just the bullion value obviously or else i would have bought 10oz bars.

8. silverbulldog

silverbulldog New Member

thanks Tamo i guess its good i like the Panda design enough to overpay a bit...All my panda's prior to this purchase are Graded at least MS-69 so it will be nice to have a few pandas that i can actually play with and maybe even carry one around with me for good luck :D worst case i give them as gifts to my brothers.

Silverbulldog

9. ph03n1x

ph03n1x New Member

The only thing I would ask is since APMEX also sells graded coins, what prevents them from taking all the ones that looked good and grades them and then sell the rest as random years? Or even take the ones that comes back graded lower than 69 and sell them all as random years? I know that for the 2012 pandas their product description says if you buy 30 you get a full sheets and so that's good. But these random year batches certainly might not be so random.

10. silverbulldog

silverbulldog New Member

That's a very good point and i appreciate you contributing to the thread as nobody else seems interested in weighing in.

I was thinking they would probably send me only recent dates or really shitty condition older years after 2005 or something but we will see what comes..

i will report back if anyone cares to know what i get sometime late this week or early next week.

Silverbulldog

11. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

+1

I prefer buy 2009 or less but not from usa.
    If you like to play with the pandas. Buy in ebay not bu bears.
    Or buy 2010/2011/2012 to bullion with posible numismatic value with a high premium.
    Or buy 2012 ms69 for 5x to play in slabs
    :)

12. comeaux

comeaux Member Silver Stacker

I'm not sure APMEX would be busting out graded coins since their numismatist probably has a decent eye for what they submit, I would tend to believe these are of the lower quality coins they purchased from random people for less than bullion prices. I agree with tamo42 but hey if you collect pandas and they are cheap ... its not all that of bad of a deal.

13. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

I've bought some random date Gold pandas from APMEX before (not often).

They were 1980s (the cheap dates) from my batch. All in OMP but some had copper spots.

I don't believe they were resealed, the OMP had a discoloration only present in really old plastic.

I was gambling and hoping for a mirrored 00 or a 98 LD but knew that wouldn't happen haha.

14. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

yes, please.
    can you let us know what you are getting.
    cheers.
    LD

15. shano73

shano73 Member

Hi SB,

I personally wouldnt expect too much in terms of great coins from APMEX if there the assorted PANDA's, they wouldnt be selling them off at that price unless they werent going to grade well e.g. MS 68,69 or 70. The best you can expect would be bullion value or semi-numi value because there still in OMP.

Also if people havent responded to your thread off the bat dont be offended, as this post has been addressed before. All you need to do is use the search tool on forum and use the keywords.

16. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

More like it was 3-7am on this side of the world and people are sleeping :p

17. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

Buy the best Pandas you can afford, get the cheapest bullion you can find.

18. apples

apples New Member

I've gotten dates of our choice pandas from a number of dealers and they have never been all that exceptional. Some have had problems like damaged plastics or red spotting (for gold). And all of them have been common varieties.

So I really find it hard to believe a really experienced dealer is going to give you anything more than marginal picks.

19. silverbulldog

silverbulldog New Member

I agree i already have a 2010, 2011, & 2012 MS 69 but they are tucked away eating bamboo in the vault.:D

i would love to pick up a 30 pack sheet but i am not on that level yet with silver.

silverbulldog

20. silverbulldog

silverbulldog New Member

thanks for the reply comeaux i figured they at least put them into flips for storage right...they wouldn't just throw them in a bin would they? These are pandas so i figured whoever owned them probably took decent care of them...knowing most collectors who buy pandas also know the importance of keeping your investment intact or at least make an effort to store them properly.

We will see here pretty soon what comes in via Postal service or UPS.

Silverbulldog