Questions for our American/European friends

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Goldmember, Aug 19, 2011.

1. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

While it's true that the number of local, state and federal gun laws are overwhelming -- if you travel anywhere with a gun you are likely breaking a law -- the fact is that state trumps local and federal trumps state. So, if you were to get in trouble because of a local ordinance, you could beat it in court if it isn't a violation of a federal law. At least that is what I have been advised by many gun owners/enthusiasts.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

And I hope that will never change.

The last thing the UK needs, IMO, is for them to relax the firearms legislation. :|

3. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

legislation keeps them out of the hands of law abiding citizens - since when did legislation make a difference to offenders with intent ?

4. Aengrod

Aengrod Member

All those riots in UK started because police stopped guy with .... a gun <- oh dear heavens he got one! how could he if they are banned in UK?

If You want to "get" a gun, you'll get one. End of story. No *law* will prevent you from doing so.

On the other note, when government is afraid of its own people, they tend to push through "laws" in the name of "greater good".

Then thugs have greater rights than victims, etc etc ....

5. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I saw a great doco on the evolution of our legal system. Those harsh brutal laws from the old days (i.e. flogging for stealing a loaf of bread, being put in stocks for slander or hanging poachers) were all a result of the 'gentry' being terrified of the poor. The more scared they were, the harsher the laws were. There were no courts back then, just a local Lord who created and enforced their own local laws.

As they increasingly tightened their grip, they collectively bought their own security (hired thugs) and coined their name from the French rootword (ultimately ancient greek) Police (to save). The police in those days had no authority other than the protection of the local lord's wealth...but they were brutal, and took it on themselves to deal out trial and punishment at the same time.

The more brutal they were, the more the public resented the laws they were being subjected to and the more brutal the local lords became. It all came to a head with riots which the police forces were unable to control and ultimately lead to the beginning of our modern legal system, with professional police services, independant judges and juries.

It seems poignant that we see around the world today oppressive laws, kangaroo courts and paranoid officials leading to riots that their hired thugs can't control. Do we really have to learn this all over again?

6. Aengrod

Aengrod Member

I do agree on that to a certain point. Life in "Old Days" wasn't as easy as it is right now - welfare state, getting paid not for working, more kids you have more your getting from government etc .... You don't have to steal to survive, everything is provided by nanny-state. When people are doing something out of greed, or "fun" ex: robbing, damaging and pillaging small businesses, then they are just a thugs that have to be dealt with, swiftly and effectively.

And Kudos to the folks that arrested judge in Scotland. Entered the courthouse, and simply did it. No rape, no murder, no pillaging etc. Those "oppressive" laws couldn't do anything to stop them. So maybe they are not that oppressive yet? Surely, after few more riots, of some "kids" that just wanted to have "fun" they will be.

7. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

If I come near your place I will have to bring a RPG so I won't be outgunned. :)

Regards Errol 43

8. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

In jail, you might also have a sore b.. ! :)

Regards Errol 43

9. silverdollarnuts

silverdollarnuts New Member

Owning a Restaurant business for 34 years, and this year has been the worst on record for sales...wages going up, ALL food and supplies are going up, inflation is at its highest ever...its gona be a long winter...in my part of Canada maybe 2% stack silver and gold...Thats it..

10. Sargeant Argent

Sargeant Argent New Member

Are there lots of people losing their jobs that you know?

Yeah a few both of my parents lost their job, my mom got nother job my dads 62 and was in RV sales and his commissions have dropped in half in the last 5 years guys were working more for way less. Luckily they have no debt and have saved money over the years I've told them to buy pms but they don't really listen to me. The town I live in is rather isolated and depends on tourism to survive. Pretty much everyone I've talked to has said this is the slowest year they can remember. the funny thing is its still busy tourists are just not spending money they'll park their rv on an empty road pack a lunch and go to the beach. We still have the added people and traffic but were not getting the financial benefit. I work in the trades and I'm glad I've been busy finishing my own house because there is very little going on.

Prices of food/energy say in the last 12 months or so?

Because I live in a remote area food is very expensive I do most of my shopping in the larger town about an hour drive away. BC hydro raised their rates 10 percent this year so yeah its costing more. Gas is about 10 cents a liter more than last year as well.

How many of your friends/acquaintances are aware of PMs...is it well known?

I've told all my close friends and none have bought one or two are interested in buying and a couple I know also stack.

Are the average Joes preparing for SHTF?

No I don't think so, I bought a food dehydrator and I've been picking wild mushrooms and mussels and berries, learning how to throw knives and I bought a gold pan so I'm gonna try that as well. I'm trying to learn skills that'll prepare me more than stacking non perishables but I plan to do that as well.

Fear index/your opinion?

Pretty low but it is rising.

How saturated is the media with Gold/Silver advertising/news?

I don't watch tv but when I had cable a couple years ago you couldn't watch a half hour show without seeing Anthony Sullivan Cash For Gold commercial.

11. SparkySilver

SparkySilver New Member

To problem is that there is NOT enough media coverage about the "flash mobs" ... I have not seen any reports on our local TV here in Houston. :|

12. samboyellowsub

samboyellowsub Member

unless your intent is to follow the law. but I think that is part of your point.

13. Goldmember

Goldmember Member

How y'all going down there in Texas SparkySilver?

(PS..Thanks everyone for your posts,great info there.....!)

GM

14. BG_Stacker

BG_Stacker New Member

Not really the Europe proper, but still... From my Balkan perspective:

Not many that I know - maybe 2 or 3 - all in private sector.

On the rise, not sure exactly how much, maybe 10-30%.

None, except those I've met buying or selling silver. It is one of the best kept secrets - general public is absolutely clueless about PMs. In their defense, there is still in force government ban on bullion (from the old days of communism) +18% VAT on all new non-bullion items (e.g. modern commemoratives).

Not really, average J6P struggles to make ends meet. What's left of middle class has been preparing since 2009, but their idea of preparing for SHTF is withdrawing Euros from their saving accounts and putting them in bank SDBs. (It worked well during our hyperinflation of 1993.) Those that are fearful of Euro collapse usually buy Swiss franc instead. Few buy gold and/or silver.

Difficult to asses. There are many that are openly fearful of "repeat of 1993" (our synonym for SHTF) while others are in complacent mood ("bring it on", "it can be no worse than what we have already been through").

Except occasionally when gold hits new high, media is completely ignoring PMs. No advertising at all (partly due to the ban).

All above being said - people have started to notice rising prices of PMs and "We buy gold" signs popping all around (especially when large chain of currency exchange offices started doing it). Number of stackers is on the rise, though still very small (e.g. from 0.1% to 0.2% of population). But supply still outstrips demand (i.e. there's more people selling than buying).

Fortunately or unfortunately, where I live most people can not qualify for loan. Average monthly wage is 340 Euros, while many work for meager 200 Euros.
    Even if one is fortunate to work for 1000 Euros, unless he works in public sector or for foreign company, chances are he will only receive 30% of his pay through legal channels (bank account) while the rest he will receive "under the table", so he can't qualify for loan either.

15. SparkySilver

SparkySilver New Member

GREAT... I have my own contracting business and we had our best January in more than 10 years. :D

16. doodlebug

doodlebug New Member

After recently returning from the US visiting family I would say...

"Are there lots of people losing their jobs that you know?"

Yes quite a number have been losing their jobs or are very fearful of losing their jobs (for private sector).

"How many of your friends/acquaintances are aware of PMs...is it well known?"

I've told all my family in the US but they basically just nod and ignore.

"Are the average Joes preparing for SHTF?"

Not in the slightest, as for the immigrants they are totally brainwashed that Obama is still awesome and can save the economy (if it wasn't for them darn republicans gettin in the way all the time)

"Fear index/your opinion?"

Fear index is quite high and you can feel the tension and stress on the streets. Prices are starting to rise quite rapidly, the inflation tax is started to hit the middle class quite hard. Single incomes are getting smashed, dual+ incomes are getting by along with their ignorance.

"How saturated is the media with Gold/Silver advertising/news?"

Only for buying your gold...not for selling it.

17. vintec

vintec Member

it is indeed different in soviet russia :lol: :p

is this because of oil, gas and coal export? and the fact that russia is not weighed down by euro?

tough as nuts, respect! i bet people over there have a cup of concrete every morning before going to work or building their home, and get on with the tough life. sounds like one of the states from former yugoslavia to me

18. hilaire9

hilaire9 Member

Prices of food/energy say in the last 12 months or so?
    Food: I limit myself to one rib-eyed steak a week.
    As a surf fisherman I now bring everything home, even if it
    means cleaning a 4 inch perch.
    Bulk rice and beans, with tofu, and I'm all set.
    Energy: You know you've had plenty of time to rearrange
    your life so you don't have to drive everywhere.
    Air conditioning? I set mine to kick in at 82F; I don't
    mind sitting around in my underwear if I am saving money.
    How many of your friends/acquaintances are aware of PMs...is it well known?
    In the past thirty years I've met about three people in real life.
    Are there lots of people losing their jobs that you know?
    College graduates with some experience have jobs it seems to me.
    Home values and stock portfolios/retirement funds have
    taken a big hit lately, and this is very bad.
    How saturated is the media with Gold/Silver advertising/news?
    On TV only over-hyped and over-priced crap.
    On the Internet: over-saturated.
    Crime.
    In the United States violent and nonviolent crime rates have been
    going down for about ten years and are now near the 1970 rate.
    Crime is TV entertainment here, so people think it is higher
    than it really is.