Question about Numismatics

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by ikegass, Apr 1, 2012.

1. ikegass

ikegass New Member

So I have a simple question:are numismatics considered ornamental? I want to send at least one silver coin to someone in Singapore, but I have to follow these rules:

Prohibitions (130)
    Arms and firearms and parts thereof.
    Bullion of a value higher than $50 Singapore dollars
    Coins except coins for purposes of ornament; banknotes;
    currency notes

I don't want to send off a package and have them send it back for not following the rules. Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

imo its depends upon the coin and the customs officer who inspects it.

Are you sure you're interpreting the rules correctly? Because there is foreign bullion available for sale in Singapore, so how does it get there??

PS: If it was me, I would just ring up and ask.
    PPS: If the coin is of a value you can afford to have confiscated, then why not print yourself off a nice "Certificate of Authenticity", which testifies to all lesser mortals, that this is an "Authentic ORNAMENTAL coin". Make sure to use big bold lettering. Also see if you can get a cheap holographic sticker to affix to the certificate, to make it more professional looking. Alternatively, have a seal. Only do all this, if you're sure your friend won't end up getting caned, in case of coin interception.

3. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

From my understanding ,you can't send current circulating currency .
    I was asked once at the PO what I was sending ,& I said coins
    They said you know you can't send money ,
    My comment was ,it's not money it's the same type of coins as you sell in the counter displays :D
    ALL GOOD THAN :D

4. ikegass

ikegass New Member

No I didn't interpret it wrong, I copied and pasted that stuff from the link below.
    http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/Imm/ps.pdf All there under Singapore.

5. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

So the question is,. HOW does the bullion coins get past these rules?

6. ikegass

ikegass New Member

Hehe I was kind of thinking in the same vein as you, just say I'm sending ornamental coin since those are allowed (even if I'm not sure if they're classified as ornamental). I'm sure they wouldn't know whether they are or not, as long as they aren't indeed currencies. Just wanted some input since I know many of the folks here send packages to all places including Singapore.

7. ikegass

ikegass New Member

Why are you asking me, I don't know. I'm the one with the questions, and maybe this is just a rule with USPS or something. I'm sure there's plenty of ways for importing coins, but I'm trying to send one or two for the cheapest possible way from the USA and the USPS is the option unless of course I'd be breaking their rules.

8. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

My asking is purely to prove the point, that your interpretation of the rules is probably not correct, hence we must re-interpret them. Anyway... spannermonkey appears to have supplied the answer to both of us.

9. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've sent a few packages to Singapore ,always clearly stated what it was & never had an issue
    BUT GERMANY :rolleyes:
    They have a GST/VAT on bullion & I don't like to lie on declarations when I sent a coin worth $3800 to Germany :)

10. ikegass

ikegass New Member

Hehe thanks for the input man. Hopefully I won't have any issues with USPS here in the U.S. I'm sure if you can get them through I can do the same as long as they're not any more anally retentive than other shipping services. Their rules seem very cut and dry so I wanted to ask around.

11. ikegass

ikegass New Member

Sorry I didn't catch all of your advice, and you have some pretty creative ideas there. To be honest, I was just sending out a package to a friend and figured maybe to include a couple coins while I was at it. But if I had to do what you suggested just for it to make it through I'd just keep the coins hehe. Now if I were selling them, it'd be a different story.

12. Silver Soul

Silver Soul Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I had a supplier send me A big set of NORFEDS, who is in Michigan USA.... They got sent back to him, as return to sender.

He had to re post them as jewelry medallions, which meets the postal requirements.

hope this helps :)

13. ikegass

ikegass New Member

Ah great feedback.. I guess these coins will be officially classified as ORNAMENTAL MEDALLIONS instead of calling what I feel they really are ;DOUBLOOOOOONS! What a pain in the ass for those that don't know these specific country restrictions before sending. THANKS BUDDY!

14. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

When sending to fellow stackers etc... I always just use Ornamental Tokens or Medallions. Never mention Ag or Au either.

15. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

used to always write medallions on the customs form that's what they are they are not coins try taking one PM 1 $ lunar to the shop and spending it they would laugh at you :)

16. ikegass

ikegass New Member

Hehe, I wonder if there's ever been someone to take a stack and try to spend them at face value. And, If you're not spending them and you appreciate them for their beauty , it's a medallion to me!

17. ikegass

ikegass New Member

Very good tip, I'll just keep it as simple as possible in order to avoid further questions. :cool:

18. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

LOL

Bullion is in the same category as firearms.

That's a subtle clue to what the powers that be, the elite if you will, a subtle clue to how they view gold and silver.

19. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

I used to use Numismatic Supplies - will try Ornamental Tokens from now on..

;)