[QA] Why would you be posting graphs/charts of super-rare coins...

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by yennus, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Pandacollector

Pandacollector Active Member

I can't help but add that the PPI wasn't ever intended as an overall measure of the Panda coin market and it wasn't presented that way. It's more like a graph from an experiment that shows what happens when you mix two ingredients: scarcity and demand.

While it's possible to criticize an index for being made of "ultra-rare" coins with populations under 2,000, it should be understood that until just a few years ago many of these coins were cheap like just a few hundred bucks. Several formerly $100-$200 Pandas have auctioned for more than $10,000 each. When they were $150 no one was calling them ultra-rarities but research showed that they had a lot of potential. Lots of other coins have done well, too. Modern Chinese coinage is a fairly new market and there is still a tremendous amount to be learned about it. Finding hidden values is a big part of what is fun about it for me and is what I try to share each month with the readers of Panda Pricepedia.

When the Gold and Silver Panda Coin Buyer's Guide was first published one of the most frequent comments I received was that people had no idea that there were so many kinds of Pandas (more than 400 in the book). I hardly hear that anymore which I think is great; more coin collectors now understand how broad the series is. From my standpoint, if someone wants to buy the commonest coins that is AOK, but the PPI demonstrates that low population Pandas have gone up farther and faster.

As far as numismatic coins being a game of selling to greater fools, I respectfully suggest that this view ignores the law of supply and demand. Prices for all collectibles art, antiques, stamps, coins are set by the market. A Monet painting might have an intrinsic value of $25 yet sells for hundreds of thousands, or millions of Dollars. It's no problem to sell one, either. Collectors and museums will line up to buy if you have one. Are they all fools? There are tens of thousands of collectors of Chinese coins around the world competing for a finite quantity of numismatic material. Based on the number of visitors to Chinese language coin-related sites that number is growing in China. My own view is that demand will very likely continue to grow, not decline, in future years. When demand grows and supply stays steady it is well to remember what the curve on the PPI chart looks like.

Best wishes,
    Peter Anthony
    http://www.pandacollector.com

2. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You would need to get in touch with PandaCollector regarding an update to the PPI since 2011/2012.

1oz 2011 is currently worth $35USD*-$85USD** ($45.26AUD-$109.92AUD)= 2.19x - 5.33x the price of spot.
    1oz 2012 is currently worth $34USD*-$69USD** ($43.97AUD-$89.23AUD)= 2.13x - 4.32x the price of spot.

*OMP
    **MS70
    $1USD=$1.29316
    1oz Ag: $15.96USD

3. Pandacollector

It has been replaced by the China Pricepedia MCM Index which covers a much broader range of modern Chinese coins. Unlike the original Panda Pricepedia Index, the new index is meant to represent the overall market. The China Pricepedia MCM Index is generally updated monthly in China Pricepedia.

The February 2015 reading of the China Pricepedia MCM Index was 101.9.

Best wishes,
    Peter Anthony
    China Pricepedia
    www.pandacollector.com

4. Pandacollector

For anyone who is interested the China Pricepedia MCM Index is composed of the following coins, equally weighted:

1979 35Y silver Children's Year
    1980 250Y gold Olympics skier
    1987 10Y 15gm silver Year of the Rabbit
    1982 1/10 oz. Gold Panda
    1983 10Y silver Panda
    1989 100Y platinum Panda
    1991 10Y silver Panda Large Date
    1991 10Y Year of the Goat 15g silver
    1993 10Y silver Fu Lu Shu
    1995 100Y gold Unicorn
    1995 10Y gold Panda Small Date
    1995 50Y gold Dinosaur
    1996 10Y silver Unicorn
    1997 50Y gold Yellow River Culture
    1998 10Y gold Panda Small Date
    2002 20Y gold Panda
    2002 20Y silver 2002 Sichuan Sanxing Dui Relics
    2007 200Y gold Panda
    2008 500Y gold Panda
    2010 20Y silver Yungang Grottoes
    2011 10Y silver Year of the Rabbit plum blossom
    2012 10Y silver Panda
    2012 10Y silver Year of Dragon color

There have been no changes to the index since it started.

Best wishes,
    Peter Anthony
    China Pricepedia
    www.pandacollector.com

5. Pandacollector

The China Pricepedia MCM Index was first released in September 2014. It should be possible to create a chart from back issues of China Pricepedia but that hasn't been done so far. It's a good idea.

Best wishes,
    Peter Anthony
    China Pricepedia
    www.pandacollector.com

6. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi Peter,

It has been long time you have not post here. Heard a great gold panda transaction between panda America (peter Yeung) and china dealer during the Singapore coin show which ended today.

7. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

8. Pandacollector