[QA] 1/4oz or 1/2oz Gold 2011 Pandas?

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by yennus, Sep 28, 2011.

1. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi Xxx,

welcome to Silverstackers! I hope you find your feet in the Panda Forum :)

If given a choice between 1/2oz and 1/4oz, I would go for the 1/4oz. These have been one of the easier size for me to sell when I need to, or swap when I want.

The 1/10oz and 1/20oz have also been a popular size to sell and trade (I suppose it is still very affordable to many people).

The 1/2oz ones are also good, but finding buyers in a rush can sometimes be hard, and many people find it difficult to swap with a lot of silver all at once.

That being said, about two weeks ago I flew to Melbourne exchanging a few ounces of Panda gold (mostly 1oz and 1/2oz Pandas) for 20KG of silver.

The following link is a good guide to investing in silver Pandas: http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-11808-pr-why-pandas-are-a-good-better-best-investment.html

I haven't made a Panda guide to investing gold Pandas yet... but I think that I probably should soon :)

2011 Panda Gold is a play on bullion prices for the next 2 years. After 2 years, the 2011 Panda Gold takes on another dimension, and should start taking on a numismatic/collectors edge, where it should start having a higher sell and swap rate.

E.g. In 2009, 2009 Panda Gold sold at bullion rates, but now, 2009 Panda Gold sells higher than spot, and swaps at a better rate the 2011 Panda Gold.

I hope this all makes sense and cents :)

Feel free to ask any other questions.

Thanks,
    Yennus.

PS> Here's a free tip: 2010 Gold Pandas are HOT! In Shanghai they have already taken on a numismatic edge and are automatically selling higher than 2011s. I haven't seen the 2010s fetch the same premiums in Australia yet. So if you come across any 2010s at a similar price to 2011s, grab them :)

2. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Would love to see a guide or a presentation by you yennus about Gold pandas investment, would be interesting!

I agree with buying the 1/4oz. Even though 1/2oz is rarer from previous years, the 2011 1/2oz isn't particularly rare as far as I can tell (happy to be corrected). 1/4oz is easier to sell due to the lower barrier of entry re: price and also it is very close to bullion 1/4oz gold coin price.

Currently I'm just buying the 1980s 1/4oz and 1/20oz Gold Pandas because their prices are still below the majority of the 1990s ones while having lower mintages. Not sure if this is a good strategy but I feel it is :p

3. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hmmz... a Gold Guide to Pandas... I suppose it might be interesting focus on the golden side of things for the next SydneyStackers Panda Meet :)

I agree with your strategy Fishball. I think the 1980 are waaay undervalued, especially for their mintages. Fractionals of these are likely to be achieving much better prices in the near future too.