Price of half ounce Series 1 Perth Mint Silver Lunar Coins?

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by silver kook, Jan 27, 2012.

1. silver kook

silver kook Active Member

What do you think are fair prices for series 1 half ounce silver lunars? In the last week or so I have seen them consistently going for around the $40 per coin mark on ebay. Two days ago the 2000 dragon half ounce went for $42. Are these coins a good buy at those prices? Thinking about putting together a set of half ouncers, S1 probably can be done for around $500 buying off ebay at the moment. What's the going rate for a half ounce set of S1 silver lunars?

2. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

If you are getting them (still in new sealed shiney condition) for $40 or espescially the dragon for $42 I would definatly say go for it, I think that is a great price I have sold them for more than that and I think when /if silver price increases these will as well and usually they do not decrease in price , just make sure they have not been opened because sometimes I have seen toning on the rim from that. The only problem with getting a set of those is that the mint did not produce a rat, tiger or ox 1/2 oz in the first series. Just my 2 cents

3. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

About $40 ea sounds right. 1/2 oz coins are usually less collectable than their 1oz or 2oz friends however.

4. silver kook

silver kook Active Member

I just did some more research and confirmed they didn't make them for the last three years of the series so I suppose that would make them less collectable as you can't get a full set.

5. Matthew 26:14

The last 3 only had 1kg, 1oz and 2oz sizes.

6. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

10 to 20 years from now, incompleteness can be very unique. and we are considering very small amount 40 odd dollars each coins. :)

7. Matthew 26:14

The 1/2 KG Series 2 coins of mouse, ox, tiger will be interesting to watch. Very low mintages and discontinued after first 3 years of the series - a sleeper ?

8. overdraft3

overdraft3 New Member

Defo and such will be the limit on the true typesets notwithstanding the 10kg in it. I wish to heavens I had bought more.
    At one of our Perth meet ups I asked Ron Currie why the PM had stopped making them and the answer was because they were not selling which prompted a spontaneous round of laughter as if i asked a daft question. The thing moreover Matthew is that the truth of the matter is many people including myself did not know about them.

Looks wise having the same diameter as the 1KG one might think that they would be quite popular if not aesthetically appealing.
    This song sheet about returned horses, 1/2kgs and what not (with numi value going into the melting pot, you have to come be here and be lucky on the day) I find somewhat hard to believe it all seems so purple circle.

20 ish years ago when one went to the PM we had multiple choices from all sizes and years. I would love to see those days back again. If I recall correctly the PM charter stated (for the benefit of all West Australians). I always like to think that means FIRST dibs lolz. Anyway that is just one small bee in my bonnet having said that I am elated at long last to see the mintages uploaded for public view. :D

9. Matthew 26:14

Yeah the 1/2Kg is exactly the same as a 1kg coin just essentially half the width. Its a skinny 1kg :)