Price above spot

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Blastoise, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Blastoise

Blastoise Member

What would you consider a reasonable price above spot that you are happy or willing to pay for bars and coins?

Here in New Zealand the price for a 1KG Perth mint bar you are paying about $3.30 per ounce above spot (roughly 14% above spot), and for bullion coins you are paying about $5.1 per ounce ( roughly a 22% premium above spot). Based on nzmint prices http://www.nzmint.com/bullion/pricing/nz-mint-pricing.htm

Seems quite steep when reading a few fourms where people pick up bars and coins for a $1-$2 for bars and maybe a little more for coins. But maybe I was reading from post before the silver shortage.

2. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Depends on the specific bar or coin. For example, Perth Mint 1 oz silver Lunar bullion coins can not normally be purchased retail for a little more than $1 or $2 above spot but blobs (common, non-denominated, junk bars and rounds) can be purchased for less than USD $1 over spot retail.

You really need to be very specific in terms of what you are describing as there are thousands upon tens of thousands of different kinds of bars and coins in the retail marketplace.

3. Blastoise

Blastoise Member

Well in this case the 1oz silver fern is $28.9 as of now, when spot is $23.7. its a bullion coin so should have a lower preimum than Perth Mint coins for example

4. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

Wait NZmint has stock? When I went there late last year all they had were 10oz perth mint bars

5. Porcello

Porcello New Member

Yes, they had nothing left last time I checked. I will go tomorrow and check again, they should have at least the NZ monkey since they started advertising it on website.

@Blastoise: I still have some bullion silver to offload (at prices better than NZ mint of course) so feel free to send me a pm if you want some.