Precious metals demand

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by mmm....shiney!, Feb 28, 2024.

1. Michael Kay

Michael Kay Active Member

That last bit I agree with, don't put all of your eggs in one basket. Contrarians have had a bad run, but having said that, gold hasn't been this high (adjusted for inflation), since Silver Thursday or thereabouts. Gold bulls are definitely not eating their proverbial hats.

But just because something is unprecedented, doesn't mean a Black Swan won't happen. US debt is at absolutely unsustainable levels. Commercial RE is one of the many domininoes yet to fall. Why are China and Russia flexing their muscles? It is because the US is hamstrung in debt and division.

You say that they have exported their issues, but I visited the US recently and I can tell you that prices at restaurants are on par with AU, but in USD! Some of those buggers are being eaten alive by inflation. The working poor... those who will never own property, or remain hand to mouth until the inevitable end, like medical bankruptcy, are a thing. USians on here may agree.

Human arrogance is something that will always replay. I've been reading a lot about Titanic lately. The perfect example of human arrogance. Everything is impervious, unsinkable, unfathomable... until it actually happens. Did anyone predict the fall of the USSR? Not a single one. It's hard to comprehend (or predict) the unprecedented.

2. pmbug

pmbug Active Member

We are still living through central bank intervention ripples from Lehman/Bear Sterns almost 20 years out. Enron caused significant dislocations (and interventions) in the financial economy. Every intervention (problem deferred) requires greater and greater responses. If the Fed manages to get it's balance sheet back to the normal growth line level pre-Lehman without the world economy imploding, I'll concede your point, but I seriously do not believe that to be possible. We're not even going to see the Fed QT back to pre-Covid levels. The towering heights you referred to is built upon the lie of fiat money. That lie is unsustainable and really starting to show it's colors. $.02

Some fun (related) reading:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/busines...-face-horrible-choice-warns-bernard-connolly/

https://wolfstreet.com/2024/03/23/t...f-the-balance-sheet-without-blowing-stuff-up/

You and I must read different financial media.

3. Michael Kay

Thanks for chiming in here @pmbug

Overall, I am glad to throw out some ideas and banter. It is something that SS hasn't had in a while. I hope everyone is doing well.

Whatever I say, (FYI) don't get offended as I often throw around unpopular or contrarian opinions. But I guess that that is something in the West we can still celebrate. Increasingly, the unelected status quo really do control the official (and unofficial) narrative.

pi, pmbug, Davros10 and 2 others like this.
  4. Golden Stash

Golden Stash Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Your Contrarian ideas are most welcome on SS. Your polite input is very interesting as are the other posters here who also don’t name call or abuse. It makes for an interesting discussion.
    I have learnt a lot from this thread,

5. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Black Swans by their nature are completely unpredictable. If we've had any we've survived them though. We could be wiped out if Taupo explodes as well - but that doesn't mean it's likely to happen.

As far as US debt being unsustainable, I'm still yet to hear a cogent argument as to why that is the case.

Commercial RE is a problem according to many I listen to, we'll see what happens there. If anything. And as far as Russia and China go, my novice view is that they're flexing their muscles to solidify their domestic power base. If there are weaknesses in the US and allied foreign policy arenas it's complicated but without wanting to go into that discussion it's just that the West has neglected establishing and/or maintaining strong ties with other nations. Whether that's in economic aid, defence or trade and you can add nationalist introspection which is making it worse.

The frailty of communism was its own downfall. I wouldn't be using a non-democratic nation that relied on a system of government that utilised murder, owned the means of production, was completely opaque on matters of governance and adopted a system of law that offered no protection of property rights in any analogy that attempts to draw parallels with modern advanced Western economies.

Adam Smith understood how a nation succeeds around 250 years, and the UK still remains one of the most prosperous nations in the world as are most free-market economies.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
  6. mmm....shiney!

Like what?

The Fed has a mandate to ensure financial stability. Wherever humans gather to trade for profit there are going to be individuals breaking or bending rules to gain an advantage. These can have negative and sometimes unforeseen results which require central planners to intervene, often having to play catch-up with legislation and policy decisions after the horse has bolted. What definitely hasn't helped is politicians largely shirking their fiscal policy responses and basically leaving it up to central banks to manage the economy. Fiscal policy responses have been the exception instead of the norm as they were in the past.

If measured in $ then of course that is going to be the case purely because of monetary inflation. But if measured in broad scale systemic incidents then that is not true. The response to the GFC was broader and of a systemic nature compared to the collapse of SVB et al and The Fed's response to what was essentially a contained crisis limited to regional banks and dodgy crypto entrepreneurs.

I don't know why you'd expect any different. After all there will be a point in the future where the effectiveness of The Fed's decision to stop rolling over assets as they mature in order to reduce the balance sheet will cease. Further, as one of the authors in an article you linked stated, no one knows what is an acceptable level to hold on the balance sheet. And you can add the neutral rate to the list of life's financial mysteries as well as how much should be held on behalf of banks as reserves. That stuff just evolves as shit happens.

I have no issue with a fiat system in modern economies where governments have a monopoly on the issuance of currency. The governments of modern advanced economies cannot function in any other way. That means you and I are not even starting from common ground. ;)

7. pmbug

pmbug Active Member

Lehman/BS -> TARP -> QE -> ZIRP -> today's mess

BTW, WRT Basel III:
    https://www.americanbanker.com/news/feds-barr-working-with-powell-to-find-consensus-on-basel-iii

8. mmm....shiney!

As I stated above, The Fed's function is to maintain financial stability, the recent policy decisions they make are not hangovers of the GFC but rather responses to crisis as they emerge.

Your timeline should go back to when the Federal Reserve was established, and probably even include all of the financial crisis that led to the establishment of both the First and Second Banks of the US way back in the 1790s. If it did the argument that current intervention is a hangover from the GFC would be seen in the light of the history of monetary policy since the American Revolutionary War and found to be wanting. If there is a hangover from the GFC, and I believe there is, I would argue it largely stems from the lack of fiscal policy response from from politicians as opposed to the intervention (or more particularly absence of intervention) from The Fed at the time.

Your Basel III link is behind a paywall. Looks like those smaller banks (above $100B in assets) have put on enough political pressure to cause some friction. A bank with $100B in assets is not considered large, despite what the authors of the article maintain.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
  9. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The banks will get endless bailouts anyway and a total collapse is not an issue for them. The Fed can and will buy it all. Powell is the man with the credit card and the gold stackers hero this time.

Even if everyone loses everything they can still claim a soft landing, as long as their system survives which always does.

10. pmbug

pmbug Active Member

More "not crying":
    https://www.americanbanker.com/opin...y-disadvantage-international-banks-in-the-u-s

Note that this "not crying" isn't coming from the small or regional banks - it's being driven by the G-SIBs.

11. mmm....shiney!

Fair enough, it's more widespread than I believed.

Real $ Return and pmbug like this.
  12. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I remember reading a very old article talking about when the FED was being established. The article talked about all the negative press being written by the big banks apposing the implementation of a central bank and how it was done as reverse psychology. The big banks in reality wanted the formation of the FED and understood if they made it seem like they didn't want it, it was more likely to get government and public acceptance. The formation of a central banks gave the bigger banks (inside club) an uneven playing field from the smaller banks and ensured their dominance.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
  13. Michael Kay

UK is cooked, their massive drop in living standards are constantly in the news. The almost had a "Black Swan" with Liz Truss' budget.

Granted, the USSR is not a great example, mainly due to its centrally-planned command economy. My point is that systems and nations collapse, even advanced capitalist ones. Germany's Weimar Republic was an advanced economy. Even Blind Freddy can tell you that the USA (and arguably the UK/AU) have been on a bumpy, yet steady downward trajectory since September 11, 2001. Sure, it is bad to pick a specific date, but it sticks out; how much has the world changed since then! Or maybe the March 2003 invasion of Iraq. WE ARE NOT IMMUNE TO HISTORY. To think that economic collapse, war, thuggery, religious fundamentalism, homophobia, savage nationalism, hyperinflation are things of the past are delusional. Politics and economics are intertwined, and it's pretty much 1939 right now; gold prices are reflecting this. The question is not if but when something horrible is going to happen. I believe most people, deep down, don't feel too good about the direction of the world.

Regarding the USSR, sure it was, well, pretty close to what Russia is today with what you say: "a system of government that utilised murder, owned the means of production, was completely opaque on matters of governance and adopted a system of law that offered no protection of property rights". ;) If you are not connected over there, you are nobody. There are millions in that nation that never really made it out of Tsarist peasant-style poverty. Western Russian fanboys have never been outside of any major city in the nation, and most have never actually set foot in the country.

14. mmm....shiney!

I'm not being delusional, merely advancing the line that capitalist nations with a long history of property rights enshrined in law are more secure and therefore able to withstand shocks to a greater extent than those nations that aren't.

The Weimar Republic collpased because it was war ravaged. That can happen to any country, democratic or undemocratic.

The foundations underlying the modern financial systems in advanced economies are more sturdy now than at any time in history, so as a result our capacity to avoid any collapse is more robust than previously and especially when compared to non-Western nations. Some may consider that to be a "glass half full" view, on the contrary I consider it based on a sound understanding of how modern economies function and the role that regulators have in ensuring that they achieve their mandate given that there can never be a guarantee that shit won't hit the fan. It's just that we're in a better position now than in the past to deal with it generally.

I don't know most people, but I do know that pessimism is an evolutionary trait and that being an optimist requires doing a lot of homework, as does anything concerned with an individual's mental state. Just ask any golfer.

PS: I'm in a nice mental place on the golf course at the moment. ;)

Michael Kay and Golden Stash like this.
  15. Michael Kay

It's good to have a positive Yin to my pessimist Yang.

The Weimar republic didn't collapse due to being war-ravaged (most of Europe was after the war), it was due to massive debt due to war reparations and monetary debasement.

Regarding the US, I always think of Michael Douglas' character in Wall Street. A very misunderstood speech, mainly because not many people know much about it:

"Well, ladies and gentlemen, we're not here to indulge in fantasy, but in political and economic reality. America, America has become a second-rate power. Its trade deficit and its fiscal deficit are at nightmare proportions. Now, in the days of the free market, when our country was a top industrial power, there was accountability to the stockholder. The Carnegies, the Mellons, the men that built this great industrial empire, made sure of it because it was their money at stake. Today, management has no stake in the company!

All together, these men sitting up here [Teldar management] own less than 3 percent of the company. And where does Mr. Cromwell put his million-dollar salary? Not in Teldar stock; he owns less than 1 percent. Teldar Paper, Mr. Cromwell, Teldar Paper has 33 different vice presidents, each earning over 200 thousand dollars a year. Now, I have spent the last two months analyzing what all these guys do, and I still can't figure it out. One thing I do know is that our paper company lost 110 million dollars last year, and I'll bet that half of that was spent in all the paperwork going back and forth between all these vice presidents. The new law of evolution in corporate America seems to be survival of the unfittest. Well, in my book you either do it right or you get eliminated.

I am not a destroyer of companies. I am a liberator of them! In the last seven deals that I've been involved with, there were 2.5 million stockholders who have made a pretax profit of 12 billion dollars. (Gecko was a corporate raider)
    The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed -- for lack of a better word -- is good.
    Greed is right.
    Greed works.
    Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
    Greed, in all of its forms -- greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge -- has marked the upward surge of mankind.
    And greed -- you mark my words -- will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA."

The film seems dated as Gordon Gecko would turn over in the proverbial grave if he saw the "debt, deficit, disaster" of 2024 (the film was 1987). It really is survival of the unfittest with inefficient corporations, the woke, the autistic, as well as the LGBTI+ supporters thriving. All parasites. Gecko He would've broken up zombies like Qantas, and inefficient duopolies like Coles and Woolworths. Not saying that he was a nice guy, but he represented unbridled laissez faire economics.

In these times, double digit interest rates would cause a Soviet Union style collapse, mark my words. Any US politician would go back to that balance sheet in a nanosecond. I read that there is a big furore about fast food employees in the USA getting 20 dollars an hour, this is 30.79 AUD. Even our minimum wage is lower here, but it goes to show the monetary debasement that has gone on; USD is worth a lot in AU, but it doesn't go too far in the actual USA; like I said, I recently visited there.

And when I mean debt, it is private debt that is IMO the biggest drain on economies, not just gov't debt. It just grows and grows and grows. Imagine where all that money could be going in this country instead off paying off massive interest rate bills?

sammysilver and mmm....shiney! like this.
  16. mmm....shiney!

Ok, my "war ravaged" comment was a bit offhand, basically destroy a nation's productive capacity and then print money as the solution and then you get fkd. My point was that Oz, the US etc still has the productive capacity to meet the needs of its citizens. Germany didn't.

I thought the most interesting point you made was this:

Putting aside the debate around private debt v GDP or whatever other metric is used to decide whether it is sustainable or not - if the debt didn't exist in the first place then there would be less money circulating in the system anyway. So paying off increasing levels of debt doesn't divert funds from more useful purposes, which sounds similar to the Austrian's fallacious "crowding out" concept. Essentially, the funds don't exist without debt (ie spending) being created in the first place.

17. JohnnyBravo300

I don't understand the sturdiness you see unless you mean our ability for endless Fed bailouts?
    That's not sturdiness by traditional standards.

18. mmm....shiney!

The compliance requirements as set out by legislation, deposit insurance schemes and if we're talking US banks, the capacity for the regulators to provide liquidity in one form or another to prevent bank collapses or at the very least, to prevent them from becoming systemic.

What traditional standards do you mean? I would argue that none existed.

19. JohnnyBravo300

So you mean yes. Endless bank bailouts are sturdy haha. I'd agree.

20. mmm....shiney!

Bailouts are justified, even if they create a moral hazard.

This means the modern financial system is far sturdier than ever existed under your "traditional" standards - or should I say "absence of any standards".

Edit to add: but if it's the old days you're yearning for, then here's a shot of a good old traditional bank run. Complete with sturdy cops with sturdier batons. ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
    Golden Stash and JohnnyBravo300 like this.