Pre decimals and 1966 50c

Discussion in 'Silver' started by The Accountant, Apr 2, 2011.

1. The Accountant

The Accountant New Member

What is the general opinion on stacking these? Looking on ebay seems you can get silver at a significant discount to spot. Has anyone ever had these refined and made into bars? or is it best just to leave as is and use as fractional trades when silver goes sky high?

2. Turk

Turk Active Member

All good to stack.

Suggest keeping them as fractionals; no need to refine them - they are very recognizable in their current form.

3. The Accountant

Thanks Turk - how come they are at such a discount to spot? I checked the coin and bullion dealers and they are selling at spot or even higher - is this ebay thing the way to go?

4. hem9

hem9 Active Member Silver Stacker

Where have you found it at a discount to spot? I have bought quite a bit of the bay and if you add shipping to the item seldom have I found even close to spot. Especially the 66 50c

5. The Accountant

Hi hem - always bought local and in kg+ lots. Having said that have also picked up 12 packs of florins at disc to spot. Storage is getting to be a problem.

6. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

If you can find any silver coins at a discount to spot than buy em !!!

7. hem9

hem9 Active Member Silver Stacker

I think you mean the predecimals, fair enough people sell them here at a discount but for the 66 50c i think you will find that any coin under 13 is hard to find as some major dealers here has created a floor for the 66 50c by purchasing well above the 13 mark thus if you bought it at 13 (Which is currently more than spot) you have an arbitrage opportunity

8. Silver Natural 9

Silver Natural 9 New Member

Last week I got almost $170 worth of silver in the form of pre-dec (almost all but not quite all of it, were 50% with a little 92.5%) for just under $110 once postage was added to the final price. I was happy. The 66 rounds seem to be too much in demand atm. Pre-dec can be lucrative!

9. domdolittle

domdolittle Active Member Silver Stacker

One could almost say that the 1966 round 50cents are being favored against many other types of bullion and rounds.
    A dealer, that I often refer to, actually buys the round 50s at a premium (a small one, to be honest) against the other types of common ounces... proportionally of course, and I tend to think that it is as the result of a growing popularity towards the 1966 round 50c. I suggest that whenever you can buy them at spot you are potentionally winning yourself a future bargain.

:cool:

10. Turk

Turk Active Member

You might have just been lucky. Many of the stackers here put low-ball bids on eBay silver items in the hope of getting lucky. Some do well.

With eBay is also depends on the time and the day of the week too.

Dealers rarely 'knowingly' sell silver items below spot - but see here for an example of a happy day when southerncross got very lucky!

http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-5762-spider-bite.html

I presume you know about the different types of predecimals. Pre-46 is 92.5%, while 1946 and beyond is only 50%. And three 66 rounds equals one ounce of silver.

And if storage is getting to be a problem then you have just graduated to Silver Stacker Level 2!

Congratulations!

11. The Accountant

Thanks Turk,

I'm on the pre and post 46 decimal thing. Must have got lucky the other day. The pre decimals look like best buying - but can be bulky - need to keep it all safe.