"Political" Silver - will it be ever worth any more than melt?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Travelgall, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Travelgall

Travelgall New Member

I've started seing a bit of it around recently - in part due to the Anti-Banker feelings running high in parts of the world (I won't go there). But does anybody think that these coins/bars will ever be worth more than melt? I wouldn't look at a 1oz bar that had a Marajuana Leaf on it. And those coins floating around with the Queens skull on them are even worse - they're just plain ugly both in design and sentiment. I'd say the same from the other side of the political divide with the "Cold dead hands" 2nd ammendment coins. But are there any that somebody feels are worth stacking?

Rounds are sold at a premium to spot but below something with a genuine government face value. I personally would put these political coins below rounds of which many are very pretty. Probably below ingots too as I'm not convinced of their purity. But they seem to price above rounds which really puts me off - anybody else feel either way on them?

2. chrissilver

chrissilver Member Silver Stacker

Are you talking about the silver bullet silver shield rounds? And stuff like that. I think the premiums on those were very high. I don't see anything against buying some if you like the design, but to buy a lot to stack, I think it's silly. They won't hold there premiums that well.

3. Travelgall

Travelgall New Member

Yes, exactly.

4. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but trying to pick what many will find attractive or desirable to hold is impossible especially using your own interpretation of art or political persuasion.
    A Swastika is always a draw card to many but a red hot potato and very offensive to others.
    I find it best to stay with non controversial garden variety stuff with known broad appeal or anything rare or with potential to be rare, again very hard to predict.
    I don't see any of these things ever reaching a significant value above spot really.
    I purchased some freedom girls only because they were attractive and not controversial and I had hoped with the problems associated with SBSS and the Mulligan mint that these may have become a little rare in the future.
    Not really a gamble.
    They will probably not be rare but should hold their value + a small premium.

5. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

The SBSS rounds and all the rest of that stuff are all the flash-in-the-pan fashion rage of the moment. They're as popular as Justin Bieber and every bit as valuable as
    he's an enduring, quality musical talent. Premiums are running high and there's a whole "cottage industry" of people grabbing those things up when they come out and
    flipping them on Ebay and everywhere else in feverish pursuit of The Almighty Dollar. If you need to show your friends and relatives what a big counter-culture rebel
    you are, you should buy some of these things. Ditto if you like collecting anti-establishment memorabilia. But -- to the questions at hand...

Q=Will they ever be worth more than melt?
    A=Always. They're WELL over melt right now and after their presently stunning popularity evaporates, they'll end up in the LCS generic silver tub for $2 or so over spot.
    Q=Are they worth stacking?
    A=Positively. Just as much as any 1oz .999 silver round, which is all that they really are.

If you're a profit-chasing flipper, a slave to the fashions of the moment, an anti-establishment memorabilia collector or a self-styled anti-establishment rebel, these things are
    FOR YOU!

If you're not chasing the flipping bucks and if you're an independent, thinking person who isn't a fashion rage slave, I personally don't see why you'd be blowing perfectly good
    $$ on these things. Face it -- we're not talking about low-mintage year, carded Roos here or anything like that...

But -- as always --- "To each his own..." We're all (hopefully) big boys and girls and we all make our own decisions (whether well or poorly) about what we blow our own (or
    somebody else's) money on. Good luck and happy shopping.