Platinum used in swiss skin care

Discussion in 'Platinum' started by Chilli, May 3, 2012.

1. Chilli

Chilli Member Silver Stacker

Overview :

La Prairie is well known for using a very uncommon ingredient: Platinum.

Yes, we're talking about the same rare metal as used in jewelry! This is also largely the reason La Prairie comes at the cost of $650 per ounce.

To be able to be absorbed by your skin, this cream uses a micronized version of platinum called colloidal platinum, which is a suspension of platinum particles in water.

The big question that everyone asks of course is, what does platinum do in a skin care product?

How it works:

Jacqueline Hill, a chemist at the Centre de Recherches Biocosmtiques, a Swiss lab, was really the one to come up with the idea use platinum to fight wrinkles. Her explanation for the science behind it was reported in W magazine as follows:

"The skin has an ionic buffer zone that holds in moisture while protecting against free radicals and other damaging force. One side of this zone is made up of positively charged electrons, while the other side is composed of those with a negative charge. When the balance between negative and positive is out of whack due to exposure to pollution, sun damage or stress, the buffer can't do its job properly, leaving skin both dry and more vulnerable Platinum re-established a good electrolyte balance, improving moisturization and helping protect the skin."

While this does make sense, it is also the only explanation and evidence we could find, in a lot of research that we have done, on the effects of platinum on your skin...

:/

2. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well that was quite amusing, I am sure I wouldn't be laughing so much if my wife was likely to be suckered into buying any. Best thing since pro-vitamins!

I guess now you can buy skin cream in the high street it isn't exclusive enough for some people. The swiss obviously did a lot of research.

"Hmmmm, colloidal silver seems a bit popular but silver is for poor people, gold will make them go a funny colour, what's more expensive..?"

I have a platinum coin somewhere, it has done nothing for me.

3. Chilli

Chilli Member Silver Stacker

:lol:

4. lamp

lamp New Member

How about lead, who should use it? :lol:, some cream or cosmetic such as foundation in the past found containing lead, for prolonged use, will develop black pigmentation on the skin.

5. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

Was it lead or mercury which Queen Elizabeth I used?

It wassomekind of metal or potentially harmful element she used to make her face paler... The lengths some ladies will go to... :(