Picture Framing your banknotes and coins

Discussion in 'Questions & Comments' started by Gary007, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Gary007

Gary007 New Member

Any one done it in a picture frame? Thinking about it, need ideas and if you have can you post a picture of it thanks.

*Edit*

Was thinking about a WW2 banknotes, coins and stamps in a picture frame with a black felt background but haven't worked out how to stick the coins to the felt without glueing them in place.

2. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have a couple of close friends who are turning 60 this year.

I am going to get two, 100 gram PAMP Horse. These have a red casing, so I will get some nice timber frames for them. I'll be doing it soon, so I'll post a pic.

3. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Put my zim notes in a $5 kmart frame :cool:

[​IMG]

For notes, I guess you could cut slots in the backing board and slide the corners into the slits to secure them.

For coins, I think tracing around the coins onto some thick card, cutting out the sillouette of the coins and then sandwiching the coins between the front glass and cardboard backing with the 'holes' cut out for the coins would secure them.

4. BiGs

BiGs Active Member

I seen this at Beaconsfield gold mine shop when I passed through the other week. Thought it was a nice way of displaying notes.

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/12623_20140308_120409.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

5. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Overcapitalised. :p

6. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well I went and bought a load of mahogany garden stakes from Bunnings, (nice and cheap) Laminated them together and then used an adjustable hole cutter to cut out the different sized holes for the 2012 Perth Mint Dragons

[​IMG]

I bought some goat leather to soak and overlay on the wood so the coins would have a nice background. You can stretch the leather so it conforms to the shape of the holes and then the coins just drop in. I had just finished sanding the edges of the coin holes when I saw some of the coloured coin sets come up on auction so now I need to cut another 9 holes, which definitely won't fit so I am just going to have to start all over again and hope I don't come across the 3 coin proof set at a decent price.

It needs a backing board so the coins don't fall out the back and as the coins are all different heights it needs different thicknesses of plugs putting in so they are all flush with the surface, then a frame and some glass on top. Couple of more weekends and it would have been finished.

7. Gary007

Gary007 New Member

Cool can't wait to see it went your done.

8. Gary007

Gary007 New Member

That look pretty good must be a talking point for people went they come around.

9. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thanks mate... but its funny. I've gone "commando" on the whole fiat currency/inflation thing. If people don't ask... I won't tell.

Everyone just looks at them with curiosity, them moves on to the next piece...

10. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker