Perth Mint

Discussion in 'Silver' started by guseva1, Mar 1, 2011.

1. guseva1

guseva1 New Member

Thought I would try something out yesterday at the Perth Mint and 2 seperate coin shops in Perth. I had a tube of Maples, 10 Silvertown 1 oz bars, 20 buffalo rounds, and an old J.P.M 5 oz bar. The mint and the coin shops were not even remotely interested in buying any of them. I tried to get an answer out of the mint regarding the Maples and they were just beating around the bush without actually giving me an answer. They told me they were more than happy to buy back gold maples, but were just not interested in the silver ones. The coin shops were great and explained that they wouldnt touch the bars as they are not that recognisable in Perth. The coin shops were not interested in the Buffalo rounds either which suprised me. One of the coin shops were happy to say that they had heard a rumour that some silver maples after assay were not what they were meant to be!! Has anyone heard of this, why is the mint not interested in them, would love to hear what others think about this.

2. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Well-Known Member

I'm surprised to hear the mint would take any and all silver, subject to testing of course. Even kooks I would think would just end up in a melting pot.

3. Cerul

Cerul Member

I think they keep the silver they get back for at least a while, cause I bought a 1990 and 2 1992 kooks off them not too long ago.