perth mint workings

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by Silver91, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Silver91

Silver91 Member

Again, sorry for my seemingly endless questions, but i'm sure this will benefit other members as well.

but how does the perth mint work when releasing a new batch of coins. I mean, what happens when the horse (or other coins) proof / sets / bullion sells out? is that it and one has to purchase them from the secondary market?
    do they mint more? do they sell a part of it during launch and resell it over the coming months? and if so, how do you keep on track of when they will be having it in stock?

thanks!

2. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Generally yes, once they're sold out and reached the declared maximum mintage, that's it and would only be available from the secondary market. (Except for kilo coins, they can be reminted until the end of series in 2019).

They can mint up to the declared max mintage as stated upon release but if that's not reached, they can remint at a later stage to reach that max limit. Eg, declared mintage is 500 but only 300 are minted. They can still mint a further 200 if they want

There was a lot of contention about their reminting policy as some people weren't aware the PM could remint coins from 20years ago ('92 Kook) and were more p*ssed that it was done in a seemingly surreptitious way. Plenty of threads about the topic, Holdfast seems to know a lot about their mintage policy so may be of better assistance.

3. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info.

4. Silver91

Silver91 Member

Wealth of info!
    Thanks house!