Perth Mint what a crock!

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Lovey80, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Lovey80

Lovey80 Well-Known Member

So just as I have found out, I need TWO completely different registrations from the Perth Mint, one for coins and one for bullion products. What a load of shit!. Also as I am informed they need my identification "because of new anti-momney laundering laws ON ALL ORDERS". When asked why I can buy bullion at any dealer in Australia under $5000.00 and not have to give I.D. for Austrack purposes she replies that "you will have to ask them".

So given that the website is telling me that I can not trade bullion until the I.D. is verified (up to 5 days) I attempt to get 1 Roll of Dragons over the phone, paid upfront, and keep them for me until the I.D. is verified she tells me that she can not take ANY orders unless I am already "verified".

What a load of utter horse shit. It took me 10 minutes months ago to register and order proof coins from them in one transaction to receive them 5 days later, but now because I am ordering bullion coins, by the time the registration account is verified the Dragons will be sold out.

Talk about pissed off.

Ah well that saves me having to order several hundred of the following years unless Maggie manages to pull off a miracle in the group buy.

2. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

lol yeah Perth Mint are bloody retarded. Don't worry though, I too did not buy from Perth Mint today :)

Bastards don't deserve my money or my time.

3. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Well-Known Member

Same boat. Always ordered over the phone only to find the ID requirements. Changes like that should be posted on their website. Too many departments not linked together I suspect.

4. Elemental

Elemental Active Member Silver Stacker

Every department at the mint is seperate. The over the desk bullion trading is differnent to the online bullion trading is differnent to the retail store which I think is again differnent to the online retail store. Very weird set-up.

5. Loxmyf

Loxmyf Member

I made sure I had all the necessary ID requirements covered 2 weeks ago. I purchased some gold bullion back then and jumped through all the hoops knowing that I didn't want any delays with my order this morning.

Must be because I was a scout. Be Prepared.

Actually, I'm pretty sure I read it in one of the leadup Dragon threads on here.

Interestingly, when i placed my order a couple of weeks ago, the items were definitely held aside while my Evidence of Identity was completed.

6. Nedsnotdead

Nedsnotdead Active Member Silver Stacker

If you bought elsewhere today please let me know where?

7. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

I even forgot that they were being released :rolleyes:

8. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

Wow, Gov't hatband seems to be getting tighter down-unda

9. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I Hate them Soooo much!!!

10. Diablo21

Diablo21 Member

Yep, I found out about the 2 separate sites a few weeks ago. Didn't bother with registering for the bullion site, it seemed like too much of a hassle.

This is what's to be expected of a government run organization, lots of red tape.

11. Silverthorn

I figure its more about pushing people to use the online site to ease demand issues as demand continues to crank up.

12. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My thoughts and feelings exactly! I've been buying numismatics from the Perth Mint for years. And today on a whim I thought I'd jump on the dragon bandwagon. Ha! Just to be told, as you, that I needed to register as a purchaser of bullion, that I take "something" to the postoffice as part of the registration, and that I wouldn't be able to order till tomorrow anyway.

So, in short, the mint can get stuffed. Yep, I'll buy on the secondary market ie from the likes of Gainsville rather than direct from the Mint shopfront. And with regards, the dragon coins, the mint probably did me a favour by not giving me an opening or seat on the dragon mania band wagon.

13. Mud Gecko

Mud Gecko Active Member Silver Stacker

Everyone knew this day was coming, I've been registered with online bullion trading since it started. It's not that much of a hassle to get your ID certified.....

14. adrenalin

adrenalin New Member

Thier online site is a joke!
    I was on it as soon as it opened.
    Over an hour later still the order wasn't processed.
    Kept crashing and not processing.
    (no its not my computer or intenet connection)

Then gave up and called them directly.
    That took an hour to get though to place an order.

Yes the Perth Mint makes you jump though hoops inorder to order.

15. lucky luke

Does it make you nervous to know that the mint has ALL your private details? :) I wonder how much cross-fertilisation of databases occurs with various govt departments in terms of the information you provided the perth mint? Perhaps bullion purchased over a certain amount may "red flag" an individual with a particular interested department ie ATO? In the US, this might also include the likes of homeland security. Then again, we shouldn't assume that Personal Information provided to an Australian organisation wouldn't be maintained only in Australia. Who knows how much of an inroad the Aust government has provided to the USA in terms of what information they (the USA) can access here in Australia?

All food for thought........

16. lucky luke

Mate, isn't it worse in your neck of the woods? I thought ANY bullion purchase made from a dealer over $600 was now reportable in the USA? By all means correct me if I'm wrong

http://thebusinesstimes.com/precious-metals-reporting-rule-raises-concerns/

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/gold-coin-dealers-decry-tax-law/story?id=11211611

I also just found (not surprisingly as SS is a very informed group of people) that this topic is discussed in the following thread:
    http://forums.silverstackers.com/viewtopic.php?id=2102

17. somnia

somnia New Member

In stark contrast to some other posters here:

I jumped on the Perth Mint website at about 10.45 and had my order through in about 30 seconds, no problems whatsoever. In my opinion this is pretty fantastic - I've waited a lot, lot, LOT longer in the past trying to obtain concert tickets.

As for the ID thing I don't think you can blame PM for their processes as they're hardly NEW.

As for AUSTRAC: this is something I use quite regularly at work. You're all paranoid, nobody gives a toss about you buying a few grand in coins. Just sayin'. If you're leaving the country owing a significant Govt. debt or jumping bail then things might be different... so please stop acting like it's the evil Govt. trying to implant a chip in your bunghole.

18. Silverthorn

For small orders though you shouldn't need. I know it, they know it.

I'd preferred not to have my details in some database when I know how dodgy some online systems are. :rolleyes:

19. Loxmyf

Loxmyf Member

TL:DR.

20. null

null Member

Agreed totally here. Not defending the mint in anyway. If you want things done, you need to play by their rules. There seems to be two angst here.

One is the registration, the other is the web/online order not coping. You can't even buy a USB stick with an online retailer without first "registering" nowadays, let alone buying something like precious metal. It's only reasonable isn't it? If you were in charge, what would you do? Just let any tom/dick/harry buy your bullions using any form of payments? And if say the credit card was fraudulent, then imagine the nightmare of recovering your precious metals from the guy who bought it.

Like I say, I am not defending them, but if you were buying metals for a long time now, should you not already know about the processes? as to their website, well that's another matter.

Feel free to trash me.