PERTH MINT - GRRRRR

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by SilverPhoenix, Dec 16, 2011.

1. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix New Member Silver Stacker

Today went online to the Perth Mint bullion site to order some bullion. Being Perth based and a tight ass, I prefer to collect from the shop front rather than have it delivered. (And its more private.)

Well, yesterday I had that option. Today I don't. No info. No email. No warning. Apparently (and I can understand this), the shop vault can't hold all the orders where people want to collect. A condition of collecting was that you had to collect within 10 days (or 14, can't remember). Being someone who wants to actually hold my bullion purchases, I'd be hanging out for the email and in there like a shot to collect. Apparently I'm weird!!! Most people were pushing the 14 day limit - which leads to troubles.

So, perth-based people who want to combine the convenience of shopping from their laptop and locking in a good price with the privacy of collection in person (no nosey delivery people) - tough luck.

Mind you, you can phone the shop and order, pay into the GoldCorp bank account (which takes seven days to clear and approve) but you have to provide all those credit card images and id details that you provided to the online department. The shop can access that info but only by phoning the online dept for confirmation. SO your online membership number tied to your already validated id and credit card details is effectively useless.

Dear Perth Mint, I can understand the problems with storage. I can understand that people leaving their bullion uncollected is both a security and accounting pain. But I like visiting you to collect. And I liked the ability to order online. Can you guys re-visit this decision? Perhaps after you decide to increase the shop's vault size or install another vault specifically for online collections? Please re-assure me that the ability to collect bullion in person that has been ordered online is not dead and gone forever.

Edited to add: Actually, upon reflection all these departments that don't communicate is bollocks! When I buy bullion, that little stamp says "Perth Mint", It doesn't say "GoldCorp" or "Online Dept" or "Bullion Shop". Perth Mint management! Time to join us in the 21st century. Get your act together and put a plan in place to simplify your processes. You have my details. All selling areas of Perth Mint should be able to easily (but securely) access them, so I can do the buying bullion from you thing. And, btw, if I can order from the Shop by phone, pay into your bank account, then collect my purchase at a later date, its obviously not really a space problem in the shop's vault is it? - its a "I need your space" "no, its my space" type problem. It needs fixing, so customers (that's me) can buy from you easily (that's business).

2. bron suchecki

bron suchecki Active Member Silver Stacker

You should put this comment on the Perth Mint's blog.

3. augirl

augirl New Member

I have a suggestion for you. Buy PMGOLD online from stock broker (eg commsec, belldirect) => Very Convenient, take advantage of the fluid market value, i.e buy when price drop.
    Then when you are ready, you can redeem for physical gold. Just fill in the Form available from Perth Mint site. You can even redeeem selection of any of The Perth Mint's bullion coin and bar products.
    Wait for a few days to a week, they will contact you so you can pick up the physical from the Perth Mint shop.
    I have done this myself. It's no hassle.