perth mint croc , is it a once off or is it a new series like kook ?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by toorak13, May 27, 2014.

1. toorak13

toorak13 Member

can anyone tell me thanks?

2. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

The 1oz tube in monster box format is here to stay, but whether the Croc is an annual or one-off design is up in the air last time I spoke to the mint on the subject. Might know more in 2 weeks.

3. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

Here's my speculation. Perth probably won't have different animal each year. This is just too many variation, and eventually they'll run out of popular animals if this series will continue for a long time. At least with Lunar series, there are only 12 rotating animals.

It's also hard to imagine that there will be a new croc design every year either. The croc is a boring animal, it just lays on its back all day and there's only limited amount of angles that the image can be.

4. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

I don't know about boring. 2015 croc eating a koala, 2016 croc eating a kookaburra. 2017 croc eating a panda. most popular will be 2018 croc eating a politician. least popular will be 2019 croc dies of food poisoning after eating a politician.

2020 starts the croc eating lunar animals series. :lol:

5. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

GREAT series game plan and calendar, although I was hoping for a couple years being a croc eating the designers who come up with those wretched African Wildlife series coins.

Edit--- I hope it's a series because they've got a sure winner here unless they screw it up with milk spots. They could get three more years out of the Cassowary, Dingo and Tasmanian Devil before they even have to start thinking about what to do next.

6. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Don't think they are a good planner? If they did it will be better.

Tell the people an advance ahead,
    To sell a product , one must have a master plan. I think they are trying their luck with a single coin first in hoping it will sell.

Most of the time I find, I cant obtain the coins especially the proof coins. Its always sold out. Or letting one or a few dealers buy almost the full allocation.
    Bad choice. If they distribute the coins fairly then many people will have more interests.

After the series have kick off they adding the privy on them, privy this and that.
    No master plan at all.

One just cant produced something without the master plan. Their marketing is also very bad. IMHO.

Also I think they are reading most of ours opinion here. Firstly don't create too many series coins a year, this will make people disperse in all directions.
    Their schedule of producing the coins also very bad. Sometime late to release their coins. Some sizes they cut off half way during the series.
    Or produce some more size half way during a series. How do you expect anyone to start their collection or complete their collection.

Perth Mint read this

7. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

I say be consistent and don"t change your plan from series to series, from coin to coin

it doesn't matter how many different issues you have ... what matters is how fair you are with your customers ...

P.mint, the message is for you!

8. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

First they have the 1oz kooks...
    then they have proof kooks...
    then they come with different sizes...
    then they paint them with gold (glided)...
    then someone came out with the idea of privy marks...
    then some got colored...
    then recently they got the High Relief treatment...

repeat kook's history with koala and lunars. Lunars are far worse especially the dragons... so many different colored dragons!

... and before we know it we have repeated design across different sizes and presentation.
    And looks like numis coins are not selling well so they start to pump more silver bullion... we now have kooks, koala, memorial, sharks, crocs, and soon wedged tail eagle.

The States has ASE, Canada has Maples, China with their Pandas, Mexico's Libertads, Austria's Philharmonics... Australia <lost count>. No doubt stackers have more variety and Perth Mint gets to sell more silver, but I foresee this will dilute collector's interest.

9. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I keep hearing that this is a low premium offering. I think the Perth Mint could actually make a low premium round a little bit lower premium if they wanted to, without tarnishing their good name :p

They have saved money on packaging, no more capsules, and no more putting the coins into capsules which must save a bit, they have already got the machines in and a supply of silver, just stop paying artists to put pictures on them. The main selling point of these seems to be the price, people haven't been filling up the forums demanding to see a crocodile on a coin.

Goldstackers has them for $5 over spot. With spot at $20 that puts it at what, 25% premium? Maybe that is low in comparrison the the Lunar offerings or even the kookaburras but it is hardly low premium.

I have said it before and I will say it again (for all the newcomers who haven't had the opportunity to hear me whinging...)

If you are going to do a low cost silver product, stop mucking about with pretty pictures and stop mucking about with legal tender status. The New Zealand Mint has managed it with their Ferns.

Perth Mint has a great logo, they already have the dies set up.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Source: Perth Mint

Bang those out in different sizes and you can have a low premium round which might actually be low premium, and not too bad to look at.

10. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

correct me if I am wrong.....the matter with NZM coins is that their coins aint go anywhere in future value. Is it not ?

11. shawn120

shawn120 Member

@Yrh0414, Canada has countless releases besides the maple leaf. Now that I think of it, if there is a queen on the other side then there are a lot of them!

12. goldpelican

That's individually, so probably not the fairest measure of whether they are a low premium coin - in bulk the price is closer to the $3.10-20 end of town, and shipping wholesale stock within Australia takes it's own bite out of the remaining margin. To be straight to the point, it's either break-even or loss-making to have flat rate prices on "any quantity" orders by the time someone is paid to pick and fulfill an order for 1oz even if it's being held for future shipping, which is why you get price tiers.

13. goldpelican

Will raise it with them again :)

14. ego2spare

ego2spare Well-Known Member

a hell of a lot of countries make coins with the queen on the back. all of australias coins have the queen on the back also.

15. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

stop whining about queen ... in ten years, when prince-Pinocchio replaces her you will miss her

enjoy while the lady takes the place on obverse.

16. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Calculating premiums as a percentage is confusing and really quite pointless.

If something sells for $5 over spot, it's going to be $5 over spot regardless of whether spot is $20 (25%), $5 (100%) or $100 (5%).

The mint doesn't adjust it's percentage, the market adjusts the base price of the metal.

It will still cost the mint the same amount of money to keep the lights on and pay the guy who operates the press and print brochures advertising their giant gold penis coin.

17. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

Man $5 over spot for singles? What's the cheapest you can get crocs for over there? Here in the US, you can get singles for $2.59 over spot, and I'm surprised it's that low after the overseas shipping to the dealers.

18. goldpelican

Irrelevant - overheads of Australian and US businesses are incomparable, as are the market sizes.

Australia - high overheads, small market
    US - lower overhead, huge market

Of course the premiums are going to be different. Yes - I have US experience to know what I'm talking about when comparing costs between the countries.

19. Meezzio

Meezzio New Member

I for one hope they just stick with the one crocodile design. I have wanted the Perth Mint to come up with a low premium bullion coin series for years - I love the idea of stacking tubes of low premium silver every year...

20. scrooged

scrooged New Member

Hence everyone tripping over themselves for a roll.