Perth mint 10 oz Gold bullion bar WOULD YOU TAKE A CHANCE?

Discussion in 'Gold' started by JamesG, Aug 20, 2012.

1. JamesG

JamesG Member Silver Stacker

Hi
    Im just curious how many people would take a chance to buy some cheap gold.
    Would you go for this item? even if the seller has 0 feedback

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Perth-mi...80951152725?pt=AU_Bullion&hash=item2a21877855

i see alot of sellers use the term deceased estate

im just curious why would the person sell this at below spot price and on ebay?? seller is in SA there are plenty of bullion dealers in adelaide .

Curious who would take the risk.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Pick up is fine , item located at Victor Harbour

Helps with the credibility IMHO, regardless of the feedback.

3. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Wow! So cheap. If I knew more about how to determine what to trust on eBay I'd probably grab it. Oh, and a spare $13,000 :p

IMHO At such a large quantity I'd just sell it back to Perth Mint. (In fact you could buy it and get a free trip to Perth just by doing this.)

[EDIT: All's good with the world. It went for $14,600 in the end after a spate of last minute bidding (f*** I dislike online auctions). Still cheap but not ridiculous.]

4. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

James I cannot logon to ebay at work, what are the payment options? If it's bank transfer only, run a mile. If it's cash on pickup, run a mile If Paypal is an option then maybe ok but you will have a protracted battle with Paypal to get your money back if the item is not delivered, approx 90 days

5. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

Carrying 10k cash to a location to meet a stranger IMO is crazy. Even if its a bank you still have to leave with a gold bar worth 10k? eachy to their own I guess

6. JamesG

JamesG Member Silver Stacker

the aucion Final price was $14600AUD .. this means his final price when he gets paid is $14600 - 160(ebay auction fees, which was suprisingly cheap) = $14440AUD this is no paypal payments.

Spot price atm = $1548 per oz x 10 = $15480AUD

closest gold buyers to me in sydney is paying $$1535AUD per oz ..x 10 = $15350AUD

this means

$14440 - $15350AUD = $910 profit if i bought it. or on the other hand this seller lost $910AUD extra funds.

i think for $910AUD i would drive to adelaide and sell it to the nearest gold buyer or dealer.

this is only based on todays spot price. bear in mind 7 days ago when the seller listed it, spot was sitting around if i remmember $1515-1524 range

i agree with hiho, taking that much money to f2f swap , you will need to proceed with caution.

BB should have went $100 more at the last mintue :p

7. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Ditto. It's all risk-weighted. Even going to your local dealer and being seen walking out the door entails risk.

To me, it was really attractive at the mid-$12K price I saw when I first looked. Was not attractive at $14,700 given the additional effort that would have been involved.

8. grinners

grinners Active Member Silver Stacker

Just do F2F in the local police station foyer.

Gotta be one of the safest places to do business!

9. Dogmatix

Dogmatix Active Member

Exactly.

And if you're the winning bidder, doesn't the seller get to see your postal address on eBay too?

10. tozak

tozak Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You would have to give the Cops a heads up for sure, I mean your not just gonna walk into the station, whip out $15K of fiat and count it up whilst staring out the window waiting for the seller and not say anything

11. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

Deceased estate my ass... it's either fake or stolen.

Hope somebody got a bargain for the risk they are willing to take

I wouldn't touch it.

12. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Person has never made a single sale on ebay and lists something worth $15000.

If you were starting out as an ebay seller wouldnt you sell a few cheaper items first to see how the system operates?

Yer all dreamin'!

13. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

Yes swapping a bag of cash for a bag of gold but is your car parked outside the police station, or do you have walk through narrow alleys to get home ?

14. GoldenEgg

GoldenEgg Member

I would pass on this one , too risky.

15. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

I'd buy it, and take mate or two to watch the local area pre and during trade. Most people I know are more than capable of being discreet, and would happily do so for a few beers and/or an oz of silver :p

I've done trades like this before. I would say meet in a bank or other secure public place for the handover, then close ranks with your observers immediately and leave if you are concerned about security/risk.

To be honest, I've seen a weedy trader lugging a travel suitcase full of phyzz into the old Ainslie office before, who had 2 large islander fellas with him, who all had bulging left breast pockets (packing). I've also seen someone trade a half kilo PM gold bar with no apparent security, and just whipping it out of a backpack. I've also met dealers here whom have carried a decent quantity of metals (20k plus) and have done it discreetly and inconspicously.

Security and safety is a frame of mind. I'm careful, but not overly prepared.

16. jparrie

jparrie Member

So can someone explain why any sane person would sell something that they can take to their local dealer and get spot for, and put it on eBay and make less? (Unless its nicked of course).

Zero feedback, not a chance in hell that I would deal with this guy when your potential loss is far, far greater than your potential gain.