People commenting in sales threads

Discussion in 'Questions & Comments' started by rbaggio, Feb 5, 2012.

1. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

Ok, so as this site grows, we see more and more examples of people making comments in other people's sales threads, that:
    (a) are factually incorrect; and
    (b) show they have no intention of actually bidding.

I think there is no excuse for this.

* DO NOT jump into a sales thread for 2012 1oz gold dragons and ask why the price is so high, "when the Perth Mint are still selling them". This shows you have not done your homework.

* DO NOT jump into a sales thread for Series 1 1oz silver proof Ox, and state that "the mintage is actually 5000, because i have CoAs > 2500". No, you have Series 2, and again, you have not done your homework.

Such basic things derail sales threads and show a lack of respect for this forum and its members.

How about people take the time to learn about coins by browsing and searching this forum? Some members have taken a lot of time and effort in their posts to make this forum a wealth of knowledge. Here is just one example: http://forums.silverstackers.com/message-181326.html#p181326

2. hem9

hem9 Active Member Silver Stacker

I agree, sale threads are only for sales

3. Sumerian

Sumerian Member

4. lamp

lamp New Member

I think if anyone has any questions regarding the item on sale they genuinely want to know, they should PM the seller instead of posting their questions. As most buyers here are very good when you PM questions to them, if they realised they've mis-advertised info regarding their items, they would make a correction or add additional info straight away. Otherwise, they will PM back to answer any questions. Anyone has no intention of buying, should neither PM nor post to the thread.

5. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Amen.

6. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

The boss has mentioned this a few times & there has been threads about it before . You cant educate idiots. There will always be some muppet who wants to be a numpty & dribble in someone elses sales thread.

Idiot , muppet ,numpty , dribble ...yep i think i covered them all :p:

7. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Can I out one please

Just one

VRS Shut the F___k up

8. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'd like to speak as a buyer

I guess you sellers have to keep your rather puritanical tribal standards, but I have commented briefly on sales threads while having low or no intention of bidding to:

1/ bump the thread if I like the seller or the offer

2/ ask the seller to add info that would be useful to other buyers who are not into coins as such. Why should we have to pm that?

As a newbie I admittedly also asked questions that with hindsight, and from the reaction of the seller, were not appropriate to someone flogging their wares.

If someone adds something that is wrong as appears to be the case from above - why would you get all indignant about it? You or someone else can correct them and even edit in the correct information in the first post. The terms of the sale are in the first post. If someone wants what you're offering, why are they going to put off by added comments? It only takes one response by the seller to chase someone unproductive off anyway. You get plenty of complimentary comments on your sales threads, and good or bad they all bump the offer. Apparently you demand a one dimensional advertisement.

By the way, 'you' does not refer to rbaggio, whom I haven't dealt with, but all sellers here.

9. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Bumping should be banned except for price reduction...

**edit** personal preference

10. Guest

Guest Guest

I've learned my lesson on this score the hard way.

I've given a bump for people when they ask a question or I like the item on sale, but else I stay the living *bleep* away from sales threads now and treat it like Ebay, especially if I have a negative view on the sale. You're just lining yourself up to be flamed hard, even if you have 'good' intentions.

People shouldn't confuse general discussion & feedback on SS with the sales forum.

Absolutely two different beasts.

Caveat emptor is all I can say there.

11. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

part of the problem is some people just love to chat

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Chatting isn't the problem.

Commenting in a way to have a potentially negative impact on sales is the problem, regardless of intent.

I like to have a chat as much as the next bored IT network administrator, but I know to stay the living fk away from the sales forum now unless you have something very positive to say or you're giving a friendly bump.

Just not worth it and DYODD is the motto of SS.

13. dollars

dollars Active Member Silver Stacker

14. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

Bumping is a signal for price reduction...

15. Macros_The_Black

Macros_The_Black Member Silver Stacker

Great thread!

I might be a dribble, numpty, airhead, dingbat, muppet, idiot etc and there *may* be times when I HAVE to ask a question in a sales thread that is "I might buy this" related. To an experienced forum reader or trader, they might think "Oh, fre@kin idiot, they should have done more work searching etc." Perhaps. But the fastest method is to ask the seller, so some leniency is prudent and educational don't you think?

I agree with lazy off-the-cuff comments though, as you say, "No there were 120,000 of these" when they haven't taken the time to really think is really insulting.

There are guidelines for posting items - perhaps these should be updated too, for "behaviour in sales threads?"

While we are on it ... can people put "SOLD" in the original subject line so looking at "new posts" doesn't take me to a dead end? (Or maybe not all have the admin functionality to do this?)

And if certain people write "why would you pay 100% over spot?" any more in a sales thread, I'll happily post them some second-hand vomit.

16. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

This has been discussed numerous times on SilverStackers, and done to death.

Here is the short sweet version; just report.

^^^ This

17. REDBACK

REDBACK Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There are good Bump comments and bad bump comments

Good bump comments include

Information about the item
    Legitimate questions about the sale that i 'have not' included in the description
    Light hearted banter between regulars and sensible members
    All these correspondences help sales and are appreciated

Bad bump comments include

Price comparisons of a negative nature
    Using my sales thread as a platform to sell your identical product
    Using my sales platform to advertise your product disguised as an educated observation.
    Using praise as an indirect sales tactic to piggy back off a sales thread for your own product.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    The above are in no way cool, sassy,smart or appreciated and just downright disrespectful of the time and effort all sellers go to in composing adds.
    New comers asking non derailing questions in sales threads about the item is perfectly fine in my book..hell don't forget its a free bump and the answer just might make a sale happen!

Cheers

REDBACK

PS there is also a tiny tiny proportion of people such as the 1%er( SS member for the day) seller who use miss leading terms/descriptions or try to have a lend in their sale price.Those people are stand outers and are fair game for a reprimand JMO

18. Macros_The_Black

Macros_The_Black Member Silver Stacker

Hey W&F - don't take this the wrong way, as I really appreciate your posts (well, the ones I can decipher haha) ...

It may have been "done to death" - and the thing is, forums are social media - therefore, similar discussions will no doubt arise again and again.

That's why "stickies" and FAQs are written - so if this has been done to death, let's at least request GP to add it to the FAQs and/or the Guidelines thread here http://forums.silverstackers.com/to...g-guidelines-thread-titles-and-bartering.html, with some kind of condensed version of what the more experienced guys have said above ... what say y'all?

Then at least, if the numptys are being overly numpty-ish, we can all just post the link and "Oi ... numpty ... read THIS, mo-fo", or something far more polite ...

;)

19. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Now that I actually have access to a computer, it's time to express my thoughts :lol:.

I have zero issues with 95% of stackers, even if they post in trading threads. Honest questions such as "how many were minted?" or "do you have pictures?" are post-worthy and provides information for potential buyers.

What I have issue with (and I assume others) are the following types of posts:

1. I can buy this at $X at Y.

This type of post ruins trading threads because it makes the seller 'look bad'. There may be plenty of reasons for the seller to have a price higher than $X.

Such as (and not restricted to)
    - Sold out
    - Out of stock
    - Availability of F2F and/or cheaper postage
    - No ID requirements
    - Private Sale
    - Takes offers of trade or lower fiat bids
    - Seller is a hot babe who is worth paying that extra $5 to F2F

2. Silver is silver, why is this shit 100% over spot?

This type of post is obviously pointless drivel and has no place in a sales thread. Usually stuff that sells at massive premiums are numismatics and as such they do not track spot movements as much.

There's a time and place for voicing your opinion on metal premiums but somebody's trading thread is not the place.

3. Oh I sold (some similar item) at $X last week to a mate at the Brissy Meet!!!

Nobody gives a flying f_ck. Shut the f_ck up and keep it to yourself.

Any other type of post (that doesn't induce negativity) is fine by me to be honest.

20. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Geez I know a few people who should give a discount for F2F in that case :lol: