Peace Dollars

Discussion in 'Silver' started by silverandcold, Aug 5, 2013.

1. silverandcold

silverandcold New Member

I've been stacking Peace Dollars lately..US silver dollar coins (90% Silver content). What are your views on them? And what would you suggest for me to stack along side of it to diversify my collection? Thanks.

2. Captain Kookaburra

Captain Kookaburra Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I like em...

Personally though, I think the silver dimes are actually more useful going forward, particularly if you think you may find yourself bartering for lower value goods/services.

3. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Morgans look way better for the same price. All fractional junk is worthwhile.

4. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

I am with bordsilver in preferring Morgans over Peace dollars. Also, if you buy from individuals, there is a better chance of the Morgan having a higher numismatic value. Although I haven't seen it be much of a problem in the US, be careful about fakes. A couple of friends went to China and one couldn't resist the cheap silver dollars. Of course they were fake.

5. Dirty White Boy

Dirty White Boy New Member

I love them myself. As far as what to stack along with it that is a tough one to answer. Are you referring to stacking more junk silver or bars and rounds. I have a fairly decent amount of dollars , halves ,quarters and dimes in my junk silver stack. I prefer quarters myself because of their size not to big and not to small. As far as bars and rounds go I am new at this myself and the biggest I like to go is no bigger than 5 ounces. I really prefer 1 ounce bars and rounds over anything else but that is just because that is personally what I like to collect. So the choice is all yours I just prefer quarters for junk silver and 1 ouncers for everything else. Have a great day and good luck on finding as many peace dollars as you can get. I love them.

6. Byron

Byron Guest

What's with all these Americans joining lately and asking American-centric questions? This is an Australian based forum mate!

You will probably get many more responses on some other US or North American based forum ie Kitco, Coin Talk etc. Peace/Morgan $ are not readily available here and we have our equivalent 80% and 93% junk. Some people like it some do not.

No disrespect intended to our long standing US/Canadian members like Ironwood, Sargeant Argent, Luke Marshall, dccpa, etc. They are gentlemen, some more recent members not so much.

What i love about SS is that the large majority of members are Aussies, it would be a shame if it is "internationalised" to the point where we get these sorts of questions everyday.

7. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

For me buying from late 2007 my worst investment in terms of loose silver has been us dollar coins.. i was paying about the same for these as 1990 kooks or other 1oz bullion.. i got told at the time they trade for the same as a one ounce coin.. i found that on average i lost out a potential 20% compared to if i had just bought bullion.. at the time bullion was very tight so i got these and the 1937 crowns and older english crowns.. still happy i got the 1937 crowns as they DO trade at a similar level to 1oz bullion..

I still have all my peace and morgan dollars as im not wanting to sell at the same price i bought them nearly 6 years on.. i think though i learnt my lesson and now dont touch them unless they trade at 80% of spot or so like Junk should.

For me it depends on the price you paid so you can only compare in terms of oppertunity cost - what you WOULD of get instead.. for me they are a big thumbs down as even the 1966 50s are far better - half dollars have done ok for me.. surprisingly the barbers are the hardest to sell as more worn and less well known - while the walking eagle is always a good buy.. plenty of demand at premiums..

Winner for mine- Half Dollar Walking Eagle.. easily the best invesmtent for Silver US Junk.

1for1

8. I have to go with the majority here with my preference to Morgans.
    I buy Peace dollars if the price is right but would gladly pay more for a Morgan.

9. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I much prefer the Peace dollar. I know a lot of people love the Morgans, but I don't find them very appealing.

10. volrathy

volrathy Active Member

I thought it was a stacking based forum not an Australian one .. We have large areas of the forum dedicated to australians / americans / anyone really. I dont like to be an exclusionist

11. Dirty White Boy

Dirty White Boy New Member

Wow I didn't know that being an American was such a bad thing. I would think most of the people that know me consider me to be fairly mild mannered especially around women. I even hold doors open for people ,I catch myself doing that at least daily. I joined up so that I could talk to people that have some of the same interest that I have and to see what kind of things people from other countries like to stack. So far I love it here ,I agree with you that some people on here do like to post things to try and get a rise out of people. I'm not going to mention any names there was one person that happened to be an American that really got on my nerves but he doesn't come around any more. I'm not trying to be disrespectful to anyone at all just wonder why some one asking a question like the one above was a bad thing. I stack silver coins from other countries and if I had a question about a libertad for example I don't think I could go to a forum based in Mexico and ask it. Because I don't speak Spanish and wouldn't be able to communicate very well. Can't we all just get along there is plenty enough room for everyone.

12. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Oooh. In a capsule. Very fancy :p Mine are loose and I love playing with them because they don't ding as easily as 999.

13. Greg Williams

Greg Williams Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have a capsule fetish :|
    Serious note, I keep them in capsules because its just easier to store them for me. I had them in those cardboard flippy things, the self adhesive variety, but the glue was leakin' all over me cowboy money. :lol:

14. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

You can buy bags of junk US silver coins at 40% or 90% depending on their year. Dare I say it but look at the apmex website as they will often have deals on junk they cant sell sometimes at or about spot which is usually as good a buy as anything.

15. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Those are stupid things to say.

There's no requisite that states that Americans (or anyone for that matter) can't discuss American coins. Don't like it? Stay off these threads.

I like Peace dollars.