PCGS new security feautures to combat counterfeit

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by andrewlee10, Apr 24, 2015.

1. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

PCGS
    15-04-21 09:50:27
    - PCGS (www.PCGS.com.cn) 201543058PCGS

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"PCGS"PCGSDon Willis
    "2015PCGS"Willis

"PCGS"Willis""

[​IMG]

PCGS
    PCGSPCGS
    www.PCGS.com.cnPCGS

PCGS
    PCGS

PCGS201543058554PCGSwww.PCGS.com.cn/dealers
    PCGS1986PCGS290PCGSCollectors Universe, Inc. (NASDAQ: CLCT)

I will translate into English later

2. andrewlee10

PCGS launch landmark protection to combat counterfeit slab
    Shanghai Quan comment15-04-21 09:50:27 Chinese coin collection online comment

(Shanghai, China) PCGS launch the world's most advanced high-tech coin box to combat counterfeit rating coins (slab) by providing additional security to the casing/coin box. The new design of the PCGS high-tech Coin Box will officially launch by PCGS Shanghai office from the week of 30 April 2015 to 8 May 2015.

"PCGS spend few months in developing a new generation of coin boxes, to provide additional and landmark security for slab in order to protect the benefits of PCGS slab against counterfeit." announced by Mr. Don Willis PCGS president.

"This is the history of the most advanced high-tech coin box. 2015 PCGS coin boxes Shield is the only one which have been developed by so much chemistry and experimental analysis," Mr. Willis.

The new PCGS coin box is containing the new disclosed and undisclosed security features to prevent counterfeiting and help to identify counterfeit.

"This is a strong initiative to combat counterfeit PCGS coin boxes," Mr. Willis. "In addition to these advanced security features, the improved sealed new coin box design will helps in preventing toning and oxidation."

New Coin Box design enables seamless side air sealing, and without destroying the coin box the coin cannot be removed.

The prominent and safety features of the PCGS innovative research and development of a new generation Coin Box include:
    embedded with exclusive PCGS specialty polymer formulations of chemical elements: carved by mixing inert plastic scratch, this recipe only detect by PCGS special detection equipment. The rugged tamper-proof coin box has no edge cracks, seal and can protect against more potential environmental factors damage to the coin.

Quick response bar codes: Each coin has a two-dimensional bar code label which can easily and quickly scan to link to PCGS www.PCGS.com.cn coin identification information page.

Sensitive labels: When using the calibration of the laser frequency to light, some of the label will fluoresce.

Add detectable element holograms embedded barcode: barcode and embedded holographic security label for PCGS to use special equipment to identify the authenticity of the new coin box for combat counterfeiting.

New PCGS Shield logo with minimal text and color ring. It will change as the viewing angle changes to protect counterfeiting

3. Miloman

Miloman Active Member Silver Stacker

I'm sure the Chinese will find a way to defeat these and reproduce them enough so that they will be undetectable.

The people hired to create these security features will also likely be the ones creating them for the fake ones.

The biggest question is how long before they do it? (I say within 12months)

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I say less.

Time a "class action" was taken against these crooks.

5. andrewlee10

If I am not wrong this technology is developed at PCGS USA headquarter.

I believe many things can be counterfeit regardless is coin box or so on and PCGS or NGC. However, PCGS did act on it and improve.

When and How fast to copy the register copy of the new technology is a question?

Is that economical to counterfeit it is another question?

Why they not counterfeit NGC without paying extra efforts and costs rather than counterfeit new PCGS technology since both command the same price ?

6. Miloman

Doesn't matter where the technology came from.

Like we think less than 12 months

Are you kidding me. They make fake eggs. Of course it is very profitable to copy.

They already are coping NGC. But I can't figure out your logic.
    Think like them... A thief.... either you can go for 1 bank or you can go for 5 banks.

Also PCGS command a higher price per grade and are generally considered a stricter grade. e.g. NGC MS65 might be PCGS MS62... although people are smartening up and buying the coin and not the "grade". But you will see auction results reflect the difference in grade and price paid comparatively.

This is a good countermeasure but the fakes are already underway. It's probably huge business.

7. andrewlee10

Do you means too many fake in market and buy nothing's or buy at your own risk?

Ngc and pcgs not waste efforts. Fake will come fast lol

8. Miloman

No one can tell you how many fakes there are in the market.

The thing you gotta ask "is this a serious problem?" Well obviously.

PCGS and NGC have got good reputations for a reason which is why the fakers are targeting anything that makes money.

Personally you should always take care in any purchase and remember you are buying the item not the packaging.

Also fakes have always existed, today is no different. It's the same DYODD that has always existed.

9. havo

havo Member Silver Stacker

Just buy crap coins that no-one could be bothered to fake ??? a bit like buying a diamond with a not so noticeable flaw.

10. andrewlee10

totally right buy crap who do not care to fake it if you scare. :D

11. andrewlee10

Any statistic showing PCGS command higher price per grade and consider stricter grade ?

12. Miloman

Absolutely. Check their auction results.

13. Miloman

2 of the same coin.
    Both in the same auction.
    Different grades - PCGS achieved a higher price for a slightly lower grade.

St. Gaudens $20, 1907 High Relief-Flat Edge MS

That's just one example. You can either take my word on it or do your own research. Meh... up to you.

EDIT:
    Perhaps the difference between grades might be say within 1-3 points of each other with PCGS giving the "stricter" grade traditionally. However both grading companies can get grades that can vary between what the market thinks and what they label it as. So sometimes a coin might be better a bit better than the number or a bit worse but they generally get it right.

Anyway that's the "low down" on the street. Take it with a pinch of salt.

14. andrewlee10

oww. I miss this post.

Personally, a lot of my customers look for NGC over PCGS. To be honest, I do not did any research on this matter.

I like PCGS design of full screen of the slab and transparent. However, I just do not understand any reason those customer prefer NGC than PCGS.

Might be the member here can vote and tell us their preferences .

15. andrewlee10

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This auction suggest differently for 2011 NGC and PCGS MS70 silver panda. Those were auction in China.